My Best

Started by D.W. Verts, October 24, 2017, 12:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I've fished for bass for over forty years, and I've caught my share of big 'uns. And I've lost a few in the "Leviathan" category. But in all that time I had never weighed a fish that topped the scales at eight pounds. It got to be a sore subject with me.

After taking a bunch of years off from serious fishin', I came back with a vengeance last year, and set my goal on that eight pounder this spring.

After catching numerous bass over six pounds in local ponds and small lakes, I thought I was maybe done as the pre-spawn and spawn came and went, but nothing close to an eight... I had one magical day with SEVEN fish over six pounds, plus a bunch more over four and five. A GREAT day, but where was the big 'un I wanted?

Finally on the last day of May, I put a brand-new fishin' Kayak on a small pond very near my home. I expected a good morning- this thing has some nice fish in it, but my previous best out of here just made six pounds.

Throwing a frog in scattered grass patches quickly produced fish, including a couple over four pounds.

I grew up in a bass boat, but I tell you I was lovin' my new Kayak (and I still do). I was diggin' on how stable it was and just flat enjoying the morning when I made cast to a small emergent grass bed on the dam. Just another cast, like the hundreds of thousands (million?) I've made over the years.

I fished the frog out of the grass, then began walking it back. About two feet out there was the KA BOOSH ( I love the KA BOOSH). After I set the hooks the fish began to pull away from the dam. I knew it was a decent one, but it wasn't until it jumped, gills rattling and all, that I KNEW. And I started grinnin'. The fight was anti-climactic after that. It was my time, I knew it. And even when I missed her the first time at the boat, I was still grinnin', 'cuz I knew she was mine.

At eight pounds and an ounce (post spawn, oh my) she is now my best. I weighed her, then shot some video as I let her go. I caught my first bass on purpose over forty years ago, and I've caught my share of good 'uns. But to finally catch one over eight, and on a top water to boot, well, it's pretty cool.

Now for one over ten.

Peace.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zSTLj

That's a monster! Unfortunately we can't see whole thing but good stuff

Mike Cork

Congratulations :toot:

Thanks for the great story  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pacific NW Ron

Great fish and a great story.   ~c~
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

zippyduck

Thanks for sharing your story.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Lipripper

Thanks for your story and that is a great looking Bass and congratulation on your new PB  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Awesome fish and a great story to go with it. Thank you D.W. !!!  ~c~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

basss

1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

D.W. Verts

Thanks. I tried to post a different pic than my Avatar, but it refused me for "security reasons". I'm just a dumb Hickbilly- I hate computers. Er, well, mostly.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Captsteve

congrats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Lipripper

Quote from: D.W. Verts on October 24, 2017, 10:00:19 PM
Thanks. I tried to post a different pic than my Avatar, but it refused me for "security reasons". I'm just a dumb Hickbilly- I hate computers. Er, well, mostly.

Dale
Dale I think that had something to do with your post count. I'm not sure of the number but I think it is 5 and you have them so it should wor, It's just a security thing making sure your a real person.  lo lo If you keep having trouble just holler and we would be glad to help you figure it out.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Dale, congrats on the New PB.  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

LgMouthGambler

Wow! Great fish!

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX