Recently moved to Port orange

Started by Stax04, October 24, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stax04

Hi everyone. Still new to Florida.... port orange. I'm looking for a decent place to catch bass. The little water tension ponds around are filled with snappers and snakes. Can anyone help me with a location. I'm stuck to the banks as I don't own a boat not do I have  friends down here "yet" that own a boat hint hint wink wink lol. Please help
Can't catch em? Throw in an m80 and stun em!

SFL BassHunter

Hey Stax welcome to Florida. Sorry I don't know much about your area. I think the closest member we have to you is Deadeye. He might be able to assist with some info. But I recommend taking a look at google maps or better yet google earth. You can find bodies of water that way and even zoom in to get a look to see if it's accessible for you. I see you are close to the ocean but there are a number of ponds and lake in your area. Those should be freshwater and have a high chance they hold bass. Good luck hope you find some spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Hey Stax (not haystacks lol) Welcome to Florida.

First off there is some excellent Salt Water Fishing right near you. The Dunnellon Bridge(not sure if that is spelled right) had a very nice pier right under it. It may have been effected by the recent hurrocanes however.

Freshwater Ponds close to you there are 2 off the top of my head. The Daytona Municipal Stadium on LPGA BLVD has a pond located between it and the BLVD. I have fished there before and there are Bass in it. Just don't try to fish there when a Game is being played. The Roads In have Gates that are locked, but I have parked outside the gates and walked the edge of the pond on the Road Side. I wouldn't recommend going past the gates to the Stadium Side, as you would be trespassing at that point.

The 2nd is in the New Smyrna Beach area located behind the Pub on Rt 44 that is beside the Harley Dealership. While I have never fished I looked it over while at an event at the Pub and it looked great. AS FAR AS I KNOW it is not posted. You would need to check that out for yourself.

There are a TON of housing developments over your way and all of them have ponds. If they have no signs up prohibiting you from fishing you could try them. If they are a Gated Community I wouldn't chance it. Some have Residents Fishing Only so there is that.

Always ask for permission if Possible. Trespassing in Florida is a big deal, for example anyone caught Trespassing with a Firearm it is an AUTOMATIC $5,000.00 Fine OR 5 Years in Prison OR Both.

As to Boat Fishing, there are plenty of lakes and rivers available to you. Even fishing from the bank. Check out the MYFWC.COM website and look under the Boating tab for Ramps. They have a interactive map set up that will show you all the Public Ramps near you. Some have pictures of the ramp areas and you will be able to see if there is Bank Fishing available at them or not.

Hang around a bit and get to know everyone and let them get to know you. I have taken UB Members out fishing with me on my boat after I got to know them a little bit better.

Check out our FBRC. That stands for Florida Bragging Rights Contest. We hold a Monthly Contest for fish caught on Public Waters for the Best Five in Length.

Hope that helps ya some.

Stax04

Deadeye and Rick thank you for all this info this weekend I will check out those places and tonight I'll Google earth some others. There is great salt water fishing but I still love the tug of a large mouth bass! Thank you all hope to post some pics up this weekend.... I will also check out the bragging page.

Deadeye

I hear ya. I tried the Salt Thing when I moved here. It's "ok", but I'm a Bassin' Man at heart.

Capt. BassinLou

Stax, welcome to UB and to FL CHAT. I see you have gotten to know some of the guys already. I'm sure others familiar with your area will chime in soon.  If you are looking to improve your FL bass fishing game, you have come to the right place. You will find pages of reports along with tips and in depth reviews of how to bass fish down here. Good luck, welcome, and if you have any questions just ask or you can reach out to any one of the forum staff here on the site.

SFL BassHunter

Yeah I like saltwater fishing (when I want to catch fish to eat), but I love bass fishing.

Now I have to say if you can find some good spots for snook fishing it's very similar to bass fishing as far as the fight, and they can get a lot bigger. They also love to eat what most of us bass fishermen love to throw, topwater!
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Stax04

Love the top water xplosions lol.... but im more of a jig kinda guy also plastics.... just getting 2 rods ready one for drop shot and the other is a ned rig. I having played with those too much but lots of ppl are raving about those

Lipripper

Quote from: Stax04 on October 25, 2017, 01:26:53 PM
Love the top water xplosions lol.... but im more of a jig kinda guy also plastics.... just getting 2 rods ready one for drop shot and the other is a ned rig. I having played with those too much but lots of ppl are raving about those
I haven't used either one of them set up much either. I'm more of a Frog and GY Senko type of guy.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Stax04

Love frogs.... My only problem is that when I see bass blow it up I wanna hook set in mid air  ~roflmao. I have a problem waiting till the bass brings it down lol

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Stax04 on October 24, 2017, 08:48:06 PM
Hi everyone. Still new to Florida.... port orange. I'm looking for a decent place to catch bass. The little water tension ponds around are filled with snappers and snakes. Can anyone help me with a location. I'm stuck to the banks as I don't own a boat not do I have  friends down here "yet" that own a boat hint hint wink wink lol. Please help

Stax, if you haven't checked out Google Earth yet, I highly recommend it. Might help you find a few spots or two relatively close to you.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Stax04 on October 25, 2017, 02:29:37 PM
Love frogs.... My only problem is that when I see bass blow it up I wanna hook set in mid air  ~roflmao. I have a problem waiting till the bass brings it down lol

Oh that's an easy one... just wait for about 2 more seconds, confirm the frog is gone and lights out!!
That was easy to explain, in theory its a work a progress...  lo lo

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Stax04 on October 25, 2017, 02:29:37 PM

Here is my trick, it has helped me improve my hookup ratio on frogs.

When the bass blows up on it, I say out loud, "There she is" or "That's a fish", that is kind of the equivalent to what other people do, which is count to 3.
It gives me enough time to determine if the frog was taken under or the bass missed it. This also allows me to wait for a follow up strike if the bass missed it.
Florida Bass Fishing

Stax04

Wow great advice Thank you... Also I have been spreading the hooks on the frog it's helped me hook up better and gets in the lip better. I'm going to Google earth tonight. My only issue is how far away from the ocean do I have to go... I dont think large mouth follow along the brackish water. I'll post a pic of an example

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Stax04 on October 25, 2017, 05:50:51 PM
Wow great advice Thank you... Also I have been spreading the hooks on the frog it's helped me hook up better and gets in the lip better. I'm going to Google earth tonight. My only issue is how far away from the ocean do I have to go... I dont think large mouth follow along the brackish water. I'll post a pic of an example

I don't know how it is in your town, but down here, the brackish and freshwater transition with a dam between the two.

SFL BassHunter

Usually you don't need to go too far inland to find freshwater. But regardless Lakes and ponds that are not connected to a river close to saltwater should be freshwater.
If you do plan on fishing that river or canal I saw near your area then the only thing I can think of is just trying different spots till you find freshwater. If you can walk up to the bank and identify mullet, snook, tarpon, it does not mean that you aren't in freshwater. Those species can survive and live in freshwater. We have them in our canal systems down here.
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

LMB can and do live in brackish water. I have heard of guys fishing the St Johns River near where it enters the ocean in the Jacksonville area on consecutive casts catch a Red Fish, Bass, Speckled Perch, and a Flounder.

Talk about a mixed bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Stax04

~gator ~gator I'll catch that too.... if it's small ~roflmao

Lipripper

Quote from: Stax04 on October 26, 2017, 10:20:51 AM
~gator ~gator I'll catch that too.... if it's small ~roflmao
That would be fun but if your going after bigger make sure your in a boat.  lo lo

Stax04

Lmao I don't discriminate if it  bites my hook it's coming up for a pic lol. The big gaters is what scares me lol boat or land I'll cut the line ~gf

Lipripper

Quote from: Stax04 on October 26, 2017, 10:42:15 AM
Lmao I don't discriminate if it  bites my hook it's coming up for a pic lol. The big gaters is what scares me lol boat or land I'll cut the line ~gf
Don't blame you on that but it would be fun for a few seconds.  ;D

FD

A couple of baits you might want to look into since you are new the Florida fishing. I'm partial to the Bitters's brand but any brand will work.

First, the Bitters vibe. Texas rig with a bobber stop or punch stop a 1/16oz bullet on a 3/0 EWG hook. Rig with the point of the tail down. Fish it slow on the bottom, swim it under the surface or buzz it across the surface. 3 different presentations on the same setup. I even use it for pitching with a heavier weight. I use a blue with blue flake, a purple or a bass colored one depending on the clairity of the water. The most effective color for me is sprayed grass.

Second, a 5" plastic swim bait. Bitters naked swimmer is my favorite. Texas rig pegged with a 1/8 to 1/4 bullet and a 3/0 EWG hook. The size of weight depends on how deep I want it to swim and how fast I want to swim it. Baby bass is a great color.

These are my go to search baits and any of the guys around here know I catch a lot of fish on them.

Bitters is in Sanford and not far from you. If you get a chance swing by and talk to them. Very helpful and knowledge about local waters.

Sent from the end of the paved road.....
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Fishindaddy on October 30, 2017, 09:55:10 AM

Bitters is in Sanford and not far from you. If you get a chance swing by and talk to them. Very helpful and knowledge about local waters.

Actually Bitter's is in Longwood about 7 miles South of Sanford on the NE corner of hiway 17-92 and 434.

165 N US Highway 17 92, Longwood, FL 32750

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bitters+Bait+%26+Tackle/@28.699213,-81.3265011,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xd7739d57bde9a837!8m2!3d28.699213!4d-81.3265011

And if you run into John Bitter while at the store be sure to start up a conversation about rods- especially those made in China! If you do, you can forget all about your fishing trip. John can go on and on once you get him started on a subject... but he does have the best bait and tackle shop around!

You can't miss him, he is the big white haired old guy in the shop... I dare you to get him started on chinese rods!

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!