Buying Rods & Reels

Started by Bud Kennedy, October 29, 2017, 11:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I guess this is somewhat of a confessional.  I certainly admit to the affliction of buying fishing tools to support my fishing habit.  In the past it was not likely that I would buy anything that was considered top of the line and top of the price list.  I tended to buy lower echelon products and then putting up with the frustration of non performance of these products. 

Since becoming a member of Ultimate Bass, I have found that most of my purchases have been strongly influenced by the members here.  While they certainly do not make the decision, their posts and comments to their posts and subsequent feedback from those who have become owners of a given product really weights heavily in my decision process.

Things that I have purchased over the past year have been most fantastic are Pit Bull Cutters from Monster and most recently my Dobyns fury 735C Rod also from Monster and topping it all off with some new Daiwa TWSV103 Reels.  These three purchases in particular have been some of the best buys I have made over the recent years.  In particular all the chatter about the Lee Smith and Dobyns rods was the catalyst for purchasing from both suppliers and for sure I have not been disappointed and must say the information from the forum has been totally correct.  I have been a Lews reel guy for many years and had a continuing struggle with being able to use them without problems.  After reading about the Daiwa reels in the forum and the feedback from others, I gave them a try and now I own three and could not be happier.

So, as you see it is not the advertising by the supplier it is the discussions here and the feedback from my cyber brothers that was the greater influence.  I still don't buy the higher end products but have ventured into the mid range in most cases.  My skills just are not good enough to justify the high end at this time.  I am not a guy who can go to a store and mess with a bunch of reels or rods and have confidence that they will meet my needs or are worth the price.  It is here at UB where the rubber meets the road.  For those of you who post your comments about products like the ones I am speaking about, I thank you.  Those threads and follow up comments takes a lot of the guess work and angst out of the process.

Wizard

A good observation that I have also seen. While other topics are discussed and fun had, this is a fishing forum. I feel there is more fishing discussion on UB than other "fishing" sites. I don't know if this brought so many quality anglers to UB or that the anglers make UB a feasible forum when others are failing. Whatever the case, good advice from quality people makes product selection easier. Nice topic, Bud.

Wizard

zippyduck

Bud,
I too have bought a dobyns rod and several daiwa reels that were suggested for me here. And several lures.
I am more than satisfied with everything and all these tools have helped me catch more and bigger fish.
I can only hope that I can help others as much as UB has helped me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

You know I find it's one thing to research a rod or reel or line or lure and read reviews from random people and then sit there and question these reviews. Another is reading a review on a fishing forum from guys that I've seen fishing reports from, that I know there is a level of trust. The input and review of a UB angler does intrigue me far more. It's a more reliable source of information.
So when I'm looking to buy gear the first place I check is UB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

TyHudson

I am new to UB (first post) and am re-building my often used tackle box from 20 years ago now and in the market for new rods and what have you.... if this is an example of an average thread on UB, I am going to be awake for hours learning and burning new info.  I was talking to my wife about how many of the fishing shows just show people talking and fishing, but they don't teach you anything....even Bill Dance to some extent.  In-Fisherman will sit down and show you what they are fishing, why they are fishing it and what the results are... I like that....  I am needing info on rods and reels and came to this post that was spot on.  Without reading another post, I could go and make an educated decision (but I think I will read another 300 or 400 more posts, just to be sure.  Thanks for the site and thanks for the time!!  See you out on the water this Spring!!
Returning to the Sport I Loved Growing Up

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: TyHudson on November 21, 2017, 02:41:13 PM
I am new to UB (first post) and am re-building my often used tackle box from 20 years ago now and in the market for new rods and what have you.... if this is an example of an average thread on UB, I am going to be awake for hours learning and burning new info.  I was talking to my wife about how many of the fishing shows just show people talking and fishing, but they don't teach you anything....even Bill Dance to some extent.  In-Fisherman will sit down and show you what they are fishing, why they are fishing it and what the results are... I like that....  I am needing info on rods and reels and came to this post that was spot on.  Without reading another post, I could go and make an educated decision (but I think I will read another 300 or 400 more posts, just to be sure.  Thanks for the site and thanks for the time!!  See you out on the water this Spring!!

Ty, welcome to UB! Yes there is so much good info on this forum that it will take you forever to go through it all.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Hello Ty and welcome to UB. If you need any help finding anything just holler.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

I too have learned a lot from Ultimate Bass Brothers. It was here that I learned about Dobyns Rods and I ventured into the Fury Series, four of them so far. I am like a lot of other people who fish. I refuse to spend high amounts of money on very high priced equipment. I have purchased a couple of Daiwa Exceler baitcasters on clearance and never looked back. Also purchases from Megachomp, Doc Irv and NuTech. all Sponsors here. I have also made purchases on-line from Amazon and my part-time employer, Dick's Sporting Goods. Most of which were suggested by Members here or one other forum that I take part in.
It is great to have so many knowledgeable people to make suggestions on tackle purchases that they have used with success. It saves a lot of time and expense to buy it, try it and throw it away or stash it in a hiding box.
I am one of the lucky old guys that has a lot of tackle from back in the day. In recent experience, it still works today. Original Zara Spooks, assortment of Mann's Baby1- 10+ and 20+ cranks and Mann's 8 inch Jelly Worms in five different colors.
But thanks to many of you for pointing this old guy in the right direction on so much stuff.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

analfisherman

UB never ceases to AMAZE me of the knowledge and expertise that this site has.
AND shared freely!
Being able to hear both the pros and cons of tackle is unmeasurable to me.

The great explanations of the 'whys' of fishing and tackle.

I truly can't remember NOT running a future purchase of an 'unknown' fishing tool/lure without requesting input from my PERSONAL PRO STAFF.......the UB membership!

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Dink Dawg

This is a really good forum and quite frankly, it's under used. One observation I have made is members DO NOT disrespect others for what they choose to fish with or the price point they prefer to stay in. It's really a wide demographic with a blue collar flavor.  I like that.  The fact that members take to heart the information other's share and suggestions and find there was merit in the information just lends more credibility to the membership.  I am much like Bud in that, I would not have reached out and tried some products if it had not been for the suggestions of others.  I had never heard of Dobyns seven years ago and bought my first Diawa baitcaster four years ago. My purchases could not have been better. I have gear that meets my expectations and demands which creates pride of ownership and confidence to share what is working and why.

Keep up the good dialogue all.  You have what I need.

Doug

Donald Garner

I've been a member since Aug 2009.  I have learned so much about fishing, boating and life in general since becoming a member.  I've had the opportunity to fish with several UB members from Texas and Louisiana also.  The knowledge I've learned and shared here is unbelievable.  Here at UltimateBass there is no such thing as a 'Dumb Question'   
It takes a lot of hard work but the UB family is a strong and loving family.  It ain't bout fishing all the time as some of you that have been here a while know and have read, seen and learned ~shade 

Bud another great posting from ya.  The only High End pieces of equipment I've purchase and its been a while were my (2) LSCR's  (Lee Smith Custom Rods).  That's been 3 - 4 yrs ago.  I tell ya if someone was wanting / is just getting started out bass fishing UB is the first stop.  The members here will not steer you wrong on recommendations for which equipment to take a look at.  Everyone has their own thoughts on the best reels etc I really like Abu Garcia's there's a lot of Lew's, Daiwa and Shimano guys here also.

Like Dink Dawg mentioned in his posting above; I too have gear that meets my expectations and demands which creates pride of ownership.  I have confidence to share what is working and why. 

Ty, When you get the chance stop in 'Let Us Get to Know You' section.  just click on the link below and let the rest of the UB family get to know and welcome you.

New Personnel Welcome
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SteveTX

I joined back in April. I had lurked but never signed up.

It ended up the forum I had been a participating in just got worse and worse with the political correctness and the inability to allow freedom to openly discuss all facets of fishing. If you so much as mentioned certain people or brands it was dealt with. It was their way and you should conform or accept. Being the red blooded American I am I don't conform well at all. 

I wanted a place I could relax and just talk with like minded guys about like minded subjects like fishing. And if it went off that subject no big deal we for the most part seemed to be past the high strung days in our 20s.

Now that I have been here quite a bit in the past few months it is overwhelmingly the better choice. Not saying their were not nice folks at other forums but it had that commercial feel like they are selling you something. Here its much more like home. Yeah certain brands are supported because they are sponsors but it hasn't come across like hey if you aren't using X brand you have junk. Many guys talk openly here about what brands they like and why. Many times the sponsors brand comes up. I've even seen a negative comment and it wasn't deleted by the mods. :shocking: That tells me this is a decent place. Opinions are heard and discussed not censored.

Lastly the guys that have been around here are genuinely good guys from all accounts. If you really want to know you should see what Charter Members talk about in the other part of the forums. ;) The Charter Membership is really worth checking into for anyone not already signed up.  ;D And if you think that part is good you should see the extra special forums that require special pass access to.  The lures hanging on those walls are legendary.  ~shhh   

Yeah I now own 4 Dobyn's rods and am looking to have a custom rod in the near future. This place is great for all kinds a info and draining that cash.

Catawba_Mike

I joined the site yesterday, and I'm just scratching the surface of the wealth of information on this forum.

I really got serious about bass fishing about 8 years ago (in my late 40's). I started out buying lower end BPS-type combos, and have gradually worked my way up to what I think of as mid-range rods and reels. I've become more selective, and I've gotten to the point where I probably won't be adding to my small collection, unless something wears out or breaks.

When I first splurged and bought what I consider to be a quality rod and reel, a Dobyns Champion spinning rod paired with the Stradic CI4 reel, I developed a real appreciation for the feel of better gear. When I got it, I used it primarily for Ned-rig fishing for smallmouth, and I couldn't believe how much better I could detect subtle bites, particularly in cold water conditions when the fish weren't as aggressive.

As much as I love having a bunch of pre-rigged set-ups on my deck when I go out, I've gotten to the point that I've been weeding out the old, cheap stuff, and just using the few quality rods and reels I've acquired. But now I know I've got the right tool in my hand if and when that new PB decides to eat.

I guess the morale to my story is that I prefer quality over quantity, at least to some extent. I still can't see spending for top-of-the-line gear. But, it is difficult to decide where the best value threshold really is, with all of the choices and price points out there today.

Catawba Mike

cbburke

Been using this forum to see what others have bought. It has made my decision easier.

For example. I would never have gotten a Shimano Core 50MG7 if it wasnt for this forum. I was pretty happy with the Pro Qualifier for a long time until I was reading about the Curado 70. The small profile has sparked my interest. I decided to make a visit to bass pro shop and check it out. after that visit and reading this forum. 

I have converted to Shimano with Core 50MG7 (Two), Curado XG (Two),Scorpion 70HG (one). When I get back from the holidays - Im planning to sell off three more pro qualifier and pro lite to fund a Scorpion at 6.3:1. Other option is to get used Curado and add the Shimano Curado 70PG 5.5:1 Gearset Custom Conversion Kit from tackle trap.

My point is ...this forum is C H A M P Information !

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."