Do you think bass can "hear" braid going thru guides?

Started by Fun4me, October 29, 2017, 07:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

What I mean is do you think the sound of braid going thru guides when retrieving lures turns fish off?

I'm mainly a braid to short leader fisherman. I use regular power pro, and can hear/feel it resonate. I heard someone say that they think bass can hear braid on things like A-rigs, swim jigs etc. I never really thought about it before. What say you? Is it worth experimenting with?

bigjim5589

IMO, they can, as they can likely feel vibrations that we can't, but since fish are caught often using braided lines, it's not a big issue or anything to make me decide to not be using braid.

Frankly, again IMO, this is just another thing that we being human may over think, like whether bass or any other fish see our line.  ~shade

There are some things that may put off fish from biting, but most of these "problems" folks think too much about are not usually among them.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Sandman7925

Probably but I don't care. Like everyone here I've had days fishing where I can't stop thinking what am I doing wrong including questioning my tackle. But I've had days where it didn't matter what I threw or how they'd bite. So I believe we give bass too much credit. They aren't that smart but sometimes they just aren't hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

According to this, they can not hear it at all. They may feel vibrations far better than they can hear because of their lateral line:

http://sfrc.ufl.edu/allenlab/Popular%20Articles/31_DrMikeAllen_July_12.pdf

They compared results to other studies
with largemouth bass. They tested the
hearing of the fish by placing them in a tank
with speakers that can transmit sound of
different frequencies. They put an electrode
in the brainstem of the bass and could therefore
tell when the brain waves reacted to the
sound.
It turns out that bass do not have very
good hearing — they lack a connection between
the swim bladder and the inner ear,
which some fish have. Fish that have this
connection have excellent hearing, but the
bass is not included in this group. All three
species of bass could apparently hear sound
only at very low frequencies; most of the
sounds in the range that we would typically
hear caused no brain reaction from the bass.
Johnston told me, "Long story short, bass
are essentially deaf." Hearing through the
inner ear is not the only way that bass hear,
and like all fish, bass can detect vibrations
in the water from the lateral line. However,
bass hearing through the ear is very poor.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

analfisherman

Well, I too have read similar studies like FFF mentioned.

I too fall somewhat in the thoughts of BigJim....and frankly, Sandman.
I truly don't think line is anywhere near the biggest tangent on whether or not a fish strikes your bait.

With that being said,
If anything, I think the vibrations and or sound would INCREASE the likelihood of a strike.
Whether it's due to feeling the vibrations through their lateral line or actually 'hearing' the braid.

In reality, a 'silent' lipless crank or any crank bait for that matter, ISN'T silent.......they just don't have 'rattles' in the lure's frame/body.....the trebles are still knocking against the body when your retrieving it, creating sound/vibrations.

Good question/thought, Fun4me!   
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteveTX

I don't know but it hasn't kept me from catching fish. I also use Power Pro 50 and 65lb on most of my rods with no leader. I agree most over analyze the whole deal. Like fish seeing the line. lo What ever works for you but for me I don't give the fish that much credit. Its not human and the best I can tell doesn't reason all that great. 

Oldfart9999

I'm so sure, if they can I think it would minimal at most, braid is soft so the sound vibrations would be absorbed to a large degree I think.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pferox

I was sitting on a pier one windy day, tight line, still, saltwater fishing, I kept hearing a hum, thought it was the sirens of the deep trying to communicate with me.  It actually was the braid vibrating in the wind.  Man, I caught a ton of fish on my rigs that had braid on em that day, the mono rigs weren't as productive.

After that day I started to listen for the "music" and realized that some days it might be a positive and others it wasn't.  It became to much a hit or miss thing to be concerned about IMO.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SFL BassHunter

Pferox that makes sense. Some days fish will strike a lure with rattles over a silent one, other days a rattling lure seems to spook them and the silent ones work. While other days nothing works and you go home and find a skunk award from Lip lol.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Fish dont care bout line, music, or noise. They dont know any better. I caught a smallie this past weekend flipping a jig with braid, even after I was told I probably wouldnt get bit. I listen to music on the water, loud. And obviously fish with braid.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteelHorseCowboy

I read in an old Field and Stream once, that the noises that scare them off more often than not are the loud, sudden, percussive noises.
I seem to recall it even mentioning specifically that music in the boat likely won't bother them, but someone smacking a paddle against the side of that same boat seems to affect them.
I really can't remember much else about it, LMG's comment about the music triggered that memory.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 30, 2017, 10:23:51 AM
Fish dont care bout line, music, or noise. They dont know any better. I caught a smallie this past weekend flipping a jig with braid, even after I was told I probably wouldnt get bit. I listen to music on the water, loud. And obviously fish with braid.
Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 30, 2017, 11:07:52 AM
I read in an old Field and Stream once, that the noises that scare them off more often than not are the loud, sudden, percussive noises.
I seem to recall it even mentioning specifically that music in the boat likely won't bother them, but someone smacking a paddle against the side of that same boat seems to affect them.
I really can't remember much else about it, LMG's comment about the music triggered that memory.

Speaking of loud sudden percussive, did you catch any when you had your 80s-90s rap whim going, LMG? I can imagine some NWA might run a few of those LMs off LOL
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on October 30, 2017, 01:50:00 PM
Speaking of loud sudden percussive, did you catch any when you had your 80s-90s rap whim going, LMG? I can imagine some NWA might run a few of those LMs off LOL

I am sure some of the newer "Rap" and I use that term very loosely, will probably run bass off. Heck seems to be running a lot of people off lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cport on October 30, 2017, 01:50:00 PM

You know it. That stuff gets them jumping.  ~beer~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

MarkusBett18

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 30, 2017, 10:23:51 AM

~c~ ~fff
><(((º>        <º)))><

cport

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on October 30, 2017, 03:17:44 PM
~c~ ~fff

What do you listen to on the water, Markus? I know you are a youngin, but Please don't say "Imagine Dragons". If I here Believer one more time, I will snap! My kids tell Alexa to play it as soon as they get home.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

MarkusBett18

I listen to the wind, birds chirping, water splashing against my kayak and the sound of bass peelin' my drag  ~roflmao, (I don't listen to music, but if I did, Andre 3000, and Gucci Mane ~sweat)
><(((º>        <º)))><

cport

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on October 30, 2017, 04:07:16 PM
I listen to the wind, birds chirping, water splashing against my kayak and the sound of bass peelin' my drag  ~roflmao, (I don't listen to music, but if I did, Andre 3000, and Gucci Mane ~sweat)
Good answer Markus. Looks like you're a fan of those Atlanta rappers and trap. Thats pretty old school for a guy your age.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

I prefer Talib Kweli, Common, Dilated Peoples, Little Brother, Murs, Madvillain, Aesop Rock, even some NAS when I am listening to the Hip Hops.  ~bb But I don't Hip Hop when I am fishing. If I listen to music while fishing it's usually Country so I can get in tune with my redneck side.   lo
Florida Bass Fishing

Fun4me

Some of you guys are nuts (in a good way) :)

I guess we should figure out the best music for each technique. No Metallica with a drop shot, and no slow ballads burning a trap :P

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Fun4me on October 31, 2017, 09:23:50 AM
Some of you guys are nuts (in a good way) :)

I guess we should figure out the best music for each technique. No Metallica with a drop shot, and no slow ballads burning a trap :P

If you are burning a trap, you want And Justice For All on the player. \m/

SteelHorseCowboy

I love music. I've got a little of everything, from Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Frank Sinatra, Metallica, AC/DC, some rap, some Country. REAL country, not this tractor rap bull spit.

When I'm fishing, the only music I listen to is the musical string of cussing my Drill Instructors schooled me in. And every now and then, some birds and gators.

MarkusBett18

Quote from: cport on October 31, 2017, 07:39:36 AM
Good answer Markus. Looks like you're a fan of those Atlanta rappers and trap. Thats pretty old school for a guy your age.

Haha thanks old school is the way to go
><(((º>        <º)))><