What about Stealth

Started by Bud Kennedy, October 30, 2017, 08:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Some things just want to make me shake my head.  We spend time working on presentations that ensure that we don't spook the bass with certain types of line or line color or other things like that.  If this was all that important then how do you explain the A-Rig that has enough metal in it to set off a metal detector and looks like a pop art wind chime.

Pferox

I'm no expert, but I think that in an A-rig there is so much action going on in a small area that the fish are distracted from the wires and rigging.

I personally think that in most situations normal noise isn't a major issue unless it is in shallow water, shadows and movement on the other hand seem to be more important.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SFL BassHunter

I've thought about this as well, but I have to agree with Pferox on the A-Rig. Same goes for spinnerbaits.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

njpaulc

We assume a bass recognizes line and wire for what they are.  In some cases we are giving the bass too much credit.  If it sees something that looks tasty, it doesn't stop and say "Hey, that 6 inch strand of monel wire doesn't belong here"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: njpaulc on October 30, 2017, 10:08:15 AM
We assume a bass recognizes line and wire for what they are.  In some cases we are giving the bass too much credit.  If it sees something that looks tasty, it doesn't stop and say "Hey, that 6 inch strand of monel wire doesn't belong here"

This.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bigjim5589

^^^^^
Yep, what Paul said!  :)

I firmly believe in stealth, having spent plenty of time fishing shallow water, and often wading. I know I've spooked plenty of fish in the process at times.

But I don't recall ever spooking any fish because of the way the lure or fly looked. Lure splashes, shadows, and making a lot of waves & excess vibrations with my wading or boats & noises in the boats have spooked fish, I know that, as I've seen them bolt. IMO, stealth is not the same thing as lure appearance.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

Quote from: njpaulc on October 30, 2017, 10:08:15 AM
In some cases we are giving the bass too much credit.  If it sees something that looks tasty, it doesn't stop and say "Hey, that 6 inch strand of monel wire doesn't belong here"
I somehow ended up in a discussion like this on another forum I use to frequent. I was using the same logic as this.

I was quickly told things like, "I know fish are line shy in my waters", "If I don't use fluorocarbon the fish just turn away when they see the line." For those who feel they need a leader have at it. But so far I have zero proof that fish make their mind up about biting a lure based on what easily could be a piece of grass instead of fishing line in the water.   

Its really hard to prove something like a particular line is what caused or didn't cause a bite. Its not like bass are 100% predictable. So it could be they turned away from a particular line or all lines in that exact particular moment. You will never know because once that moment passes there is no going back. The next moment has its completely new set of circumstances. Its now a minute later in the day, a plane is coming over, a car passes in the distance, its now the 2nd plop of bait hitting the water, the fish may now just went to feed mode, or defense mode, etc etc etc.
I see this often, where I pitch and a friend of mine pitches to the same spot we saw movement 4 or 5 times the same exact bait same line etc and on the 6th pitch the bait gets annihilated. Why not the first 5 times?   

If you look at a A rig and the monstrosity of what leads the way through the water its quite a pile of wire. Then you have spinner baits some with 2, 3, and 4 blades. Not to mention baits with 3 treble hooks hanging off them, even a 10" worm rigged with a 5/0 hook hanging out of it. In my opinion if Bass could reason, and wasn't totally blind, a A rig should never catch a bass imho.

I also believe in stealth but not the leader line type. Just yesterday I saw numerous times where coming across pads with my frog it spooked the fish and the swirl and wake leaving the pad was obvious. I've had the trolling motor on low and eased by pads to have the same evasive action happen a foot from the boat. The same when approaching the bank of a pool. What is interesting to me is how far away a fish can seemingly feel vibrations through the ground. I've been 20 to 30 ft away walking by myself and immediately noticed the activity leaving that bank.

I do make it a point to be more stealth for approaching areas to fish as far as what I do that could cause them to be spooked. I actually want to work on the floor of my boat for this reason as well. Some sort of padding or rubber mat I think would sure help my big feet.

Pferox

A-rigs are nothing more than castable umbrella rigs that have been trolled behind boats for years.  The look of a school of injured baitfiss is unresistable.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

I was told I wouldnt get bit by a smallie with braid....

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Wizard

Bass have a processor smaller than my fingernail. I think all they understand is food and the wires are irrelevant to them.

Wizard

Bud Kennedy

OK guys, this is my point exactly.  It seems that for the most part the use of certain lines for the purpose of stealth is pretty much all BS !

SFL BassHunter

I personally don't think it has anything to do with brain size, or intelligence. We as humans rely on intelligence over instinct.

They rely on instinct over intelligence. I believe it is very possible on certain days, at certain times, especially when the bass are finicky that line can deter them from eating the lure.
If a bass is hungry and is actively feeding, that hunger may override it's "Spidey Senses" that tell it "DANGER, DANGER"
I also believe this is more prevalent in crystal clear water like the public lakes I fish on foot. I've had far more success with clear lines than I have with braid in open water/clear water lakes, and when I say crystal clear, I am talking about water that looks like it came out of your faucet (hopefully lol).

But that's just my opinion on the subject. I have no scientific research to back any of that up.

So I will keep using clear lines in clear water, because why take the chance?
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 30, 2017, 01:52:00 PM

<")))>{
I have been told that as well. But I have no smallies here so I couldnt bust that myth. Nice job LMG.

analfisherman

The truth is (at least in my eyes), it's simply coded deep within the DNA of bass to absolutely clobber and destroy vulnerable schools of baitfish. It's basically like dangling an all-you-can-eat swimming buffet right in front of their noses.

To further this thought, most A-rigs have a wire (usually in the center of the rig) that extends further back than the rest of the school....hence giving the effect of the 'weakest/most vulnerable' fish of the school.
Frequently this is the bait that gets hit....at least first, anyways.
Some even use a seperate bait on this wire to make it stand out even more.

Next, if anyone has ever fished Smallies, frequently the 'pack' will follow the hooked fish all the way to the boat.
At times you will see a half a dozen following and even at times when you have multiple trebles on a bait you will even get two to hit the same lure and catch both, I've had it happen as have many of you.

Large Mouths will also at times fish in packs when the feed is on, IN OPEN WATER, as opposed to their general 'ambush' style of feeding.

Bass have a tendency of 'schooling' in order to coral open water schools of fish (pods) and frequently school by year class....hence, why you see these anglers at times catching multiple large fish on a single cast.

Another factor, there is just something about predators in the animal kingdom, if one predator is successful, it seems to trigger the rest of a pack to become more aggressive and strike/try to steal what the other predator has successfully accomplished. 

I also believe that 'stealth' IS IMPORTANT/ADVANTAGEOUS when Bass are feeding in their normal 'ambush' style of feeding.

Disclaimer:
I don't fish an A-Rig nor are they legal in my state.
I have used a 3 wire Yumbrella though and have had 'some success' but only in open water during the fall when the shad congregate/school heavy in the fall of the year.....and the Bass school to take advantage of multitudes of available food in a small area.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 30, 2017, 01:52:00 PM

<")))>{

It had to be somebody that hasn't caught a smallmouth, they are supposed to eat craws only and to never hit a big bait according to some also, the same that say don't use braid. lo lo lo
I think there is a difference between stealth and the use of noise and flash in fishing, stealth being the the art of coming into an area to fish quietly. The use of noise or the lack thereof is part of the technique used at the moment.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

I have fished Lake George in New York.  There is no where where the water is clearer, 20 foot plus visibility.  I have caught fish on braid without a leader, caught 'em directly under the boat in less than 5 feet of water, caught 'em on clear blue Stren, and even on fluro.  When the fish want to eat, they want to eat.

fishballer06

The same can be said about a spinnerbait or buzzbait, but they still eat it...
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament