Fluorocarbon Fishing Line

Started by Bud Kennedy, November 01, 2017, 08:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

So what is it about fluorocarbon fishing line that makes you use this product.  I hear about using it for leaders for quite a while now it seems to be more folks spooling with fluro. 

Currently I only use Power Pro for my braid choice and Sufix Siege for my mono choice.

When I first started hearing about this product the comments tended to talk about knot problems then the conversations switched to the less than flexible properties of the line.  What I want to know is what advantages does it really provide and under what conditions is the best use.  I have never used this product and have no idea if I should even consider giving it a try.  I await your comments. I guess I am looking for why you use it instead of what you use but what you use may also be informative.

Polaris425

I like it. IT sinks, doesnt float like mono. So I use it on all my rigs that aren't top water. And honestly, I've even used it on those too some.

I hear people talk about problems with knots but, I've never had an issue. I tie a Palomar on pretty much everything. I think the people having knot trouble are those tying knots that require twisting the line, like the tri-lene knot.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

LgMouthGambler

I dont.  lo  I hate Fluoro, and dont see any advantage on my end. Its a pain to tie cause it damages easily, and I dont see it being any stronger than mono or coplys. And that goes for stretch as well.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

The only true value is it absorbs sunlight instead of reflecting it. The pros us it for leaders on their braid to create invisible line between the braid and the bait. They believe it can make a difference on tough days.

I use it on crankbait rods. I like that it sinks and I can get a squarebill just a little deeper than I can with mono. The knot I tie has no friction so it doesn't damage the line..

Invisible
sinks
In the beginning it claimed less stretch but until you get to 20 pound or stronger I don't believe it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Polaris425

LMG is also fishing in a lot of heavy cover, so in his case, no flouro would not be a good choice.

And as I mentioned, Ive yet to have any tying or knot issues and I've been using it for 2 years... I havent had a single knot break.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WarriorRiverTackle on November 01, 2017, 08:59:51 AM
LMG is also fishing in a lot of heavy cover, so in his case, no flouro would not be a good choice.

And as I mentioned, Ive yet to have any tying or knot issues and I've been using it for 2 years... I havent had a single knot break.

Its not that I fish heavy cover all the time, and if I do I have braid for that. The point I was making was, to me there is no clarity, strength, or stretch advantage over mono or a hybrid/coply line.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

I have limited experience with it, but the experience I had, sold me on its ability to produce more strikes.

After a tough day of me getting 3 fish on 6 bites while watching Kent tear them up with the same bait, he suggested I tie on a leader of flouro to work my fluke like he had. He showed me the best knot to tie flouro to braid that night, tied on a size larger hook that I thought would help with hookups, and was ready for the next day. Over 25 fish on Sunday made me a believer. The bite was the same, conditions were pretty much the same, different location but still near the previous day's spot that held schooling bass feeding on bait fish; that was the only difference. Strike that, I did switch to a baitcast rig from spinning, but I don't see how that would be relevant except with the hookup ratio and casting distance..
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

njpaulc

I have had knots slip. but that stopped when I paid more attention to tying them.  I believe there is less stretch and I like it for jerk baits for that reason.  The reason I believe it has less stretch is that it is harder to unsnag a lure using the "bow and arrow" when I'm using fluro.  The 'bow and arrow" uses the bend in the rod and the stretch in the line, I've never been able to make it work with braid.

Princeton_Man

I think it may have a little to do with what you're used to and the conditions you fish.

A number of years ago I went all braid and fished mostly plastic and jigs. At some point I began fishing some very clear reservoirs and put mono back on a couple of my rigs. I started missing fish and loosing fish on the mono, so I tried the 100% Fluorocarbon (Berkley). It seemed to make a difference.

Eventually the Berkley fell out of my favor when it seemed to become less resistant to abrasion and I tried going to a top shelf line. I spooled up a couple of reels with Seagar Tatsu and have been using Tatsu ever since. It's pricey but I only have three reels spooled up with it and have been going two seasons before replacing it.

As for my spinning rigs, I've been using the Red Label because I seem to go through a lot more line on them using 6 and 8lb line. It has some memory issues, but I dealt with that ok. Over the summer I switched a couple of them back over to 10lb Power Pro braid after some break-offs picking up fish in the laydowns.

I truly believe the Tatsu has significantly less stretch than any of the other fluoro or mono I've used and knock on wood, I haven't experienced any knot issues.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SFL BassHunter

As per the other thread about "stealth" or line visibility, I use Fluoro specifically because of it's invisibility compared to braid. I use it in crystal clear waters.

I also believe that it is the most sensitive type of line for bottom contact (Slow fishing) on a slack line.

While braid wins in sensitivity on a taut line, it becomes lose some sensitive on a slack line (Still better than mono IMO though). Fluoro transmits well on a slack line.

Also from what I have seen some of the older pro anglers tend to use fluoro for pitching and flipping. It's strong, less visible, and stands up to abrasion better than braid does on rock. So if you fish rock ledges fluoro might be a better option since rock can really fray the heck out of braid easier and weaken it big time.

As far as knots are concerned, I have had 0 issue with knots. I tie an improved clinch and haven't had issue.

It would be my line of choice IF I didn't need versatility out of my rod and reels. Because at any given time I may want to throw topwater, fluoro doesn't help in that regard. So on my spinning reel I have 20lb braid, and I use 12lb fluoro leader. When I want to use topwater, I just cut the leader off.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

I don't use FC. Have in the past, and its not for me as a main line. For leaders out in the saltwater its great however. My two main lines are braid and mono, I'm really enjoying the Senshi line. Before that, Yozuri Copoly.

SteveTX

I've tried flurocarbon. And that's all I needed to do before stripping the junk off my reel.

Maybe as a leader if there was no mono on earth I might use it near rocks etc but my fishing rarely has rocks or anything else that is hard on my braid.

I admit I didn't try 10 brands and some may be better these days. But where I fish I don't see it making a impact worth the price difference.

Bud Kennedy

So far, i cannot see any reason that I would want to try flouro.  Just not any reasons that seem to apply to my stained water conditions.  This also couples back to the stealth question on another post.  The way it looks I will stand pat with my current line choices.

Kris

As many know I am presently looking into switching some to fluorocarbon line or leaders. As was said previously, it sinks. Mono tends to float if left to its own. Since I fish a lot of weightless Wacky Worms it might help in getting the bait down.
On my spinning outfits I use Sufix Performance Braid, 20 lb. This coming Season it will have a fluorocarbon leader connected to it for the aforementioned weightless Wacky Worm. On my baitcasters, some will have fluorocarbon and some Sufix Performance Braid only and some with fluorocarbon leaders.
Just getting myself ready for Winter when I can't go fishing much.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

merc1997

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 01, 2017, 09:42:24 AM
As per the other thread about "stealth" or line visibility, I use Fluoro specifically because of it's invisibility compared to braid. I use it in crystal clear waters.

I also believe that it is the most sensitive type of line for bottom contact (Slow fishing) on a slack line.

While braid wins in sensitivity on a taut line, it becomes lose some sensitive on a slack line (Still better than mono IMO though). Fluoro transmits well on a slack line.

Also from what I have seen some of the older pro anglers tend to use fluoro for pitching and flipping. It's strong, less visible, and stands up to abrasion better than braid does on rock. So if you fish rock ledges fluoro might be a better option since rock can really fray the heck out of braid easier and weaken it big time.

As far as knots are concerned, I have had 0 issue with knots. I tie an improved clinch and haven't had issue.

It would be my line of choice IF I didn't need versatility out of my rod and reels. Because at any given time I may want to throw topwater, fluoro doesn't help in that regard. So on my spinning reel I have 20lb braid, and I use 12lb fluoro leader. When I want to use topwater, I just cut the leader off.
the trick to feel bites with any line is to truly never have slack.  you do this by keeping a belly in the line as it falls, and then you are not impeding the bait, but still have line contact.  therefore, braid will always give you more feel feedback than mono or fluoro.  also, there is always going to be a certain amount of coiling in fluoro and that is like putting a spring coil in the middle of your line and expect to be able to feel anything.  i have many of the fluoro users in my boat over the years when the bite was just a nothing bite and i was railing them and they claimed they were not getting bit.  i have given everyone of them one of my rods with braid, and they went to catching bass because they where then able to feel the bite.  just my opinion and observation, but everyone should use whatever line they feel does the best job for them.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

zippyduck

Most of my rods are loaded with copoly now. As it is more castable than flouro. Flouro has to be treated every outing to get the coils out.
So no more flouro for me. Copoly in clear water and around wood and rock and braid in the weeds.
Mono for topwater.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Pferox

I only use floro for the abrasion factor in certain places so I just tie leaders.  Some of them may be kind of long, and depends on where I am and how the barnacles are treating my line that day.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

loomisguy

I use nothing but flouro for anything that touches the bottom and for some crankbaits.
I think its a more sensitive line than mono, and I just never liked braid. The braid/leader deal just makes for  a point of failure that I don't need.
  I've never used any kind of spray or conditioner. I use the same knots I've used for 30 years with mono and never a issue.
I use sniper and shooter for bottom contact stuff and Invisx for the wiggle wart,rock crawler, squarebills and deep little N ect.

Pferox

Ya know I probably need to add that I don't use anything less than 20lb, and mostly use 40lb which is way too unruly for putting on a reel which is why I use leaders exclusively.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

I have all but abandoned flouro. The one characteristic of the line I'm not sure has been mentione (I didn't read every response) is that it is arguably the most abrasion resistant of the 3 major line categories. So some folks who do a lot of fishing around rock or lots of tree limbs and trunks use it for that purpose.

I fish braid just about all of the time now and as long as I check my line often enough I haven't had any problems using it over flouro in any situation.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

j102

I only use Fluorocarbon as a leader for Saltwater.

68camaro

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 01, 2017, 09:42:24 AM
So on my spinning reel I have 20lb braid, and I use 12lb fluoro leader. When I want to use topwater, I just cut the leader off.

Here's a question I have had but never asked.......if a chain (line) is only as strong as its weakest link (point), wouldn't a 12 lb flouro line negate the strength of the 20 lb braid down to 12lbs?

I use 50lb braid, wouldn't any flouro at a lower strength then become max pressure I can exert on line?

Thanks
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: 68camaro on November 03, 2017, 05:20:22 AM
Here's a question I have had but never asked.......if a chain (line) is only as strong as its weakest link (point), wouldn't a 12 lb flouro line negate the strength of the 20 lb braid down to 12lbs?

I use 50lb braid, wouldn't any flouro at a lower strength then become max pressure I can exert on line?

Thanks
Yes it would and it would also add an extra point of failure when connecting the two.
But theoretically if you are connecting a leader you take that into account. The invisibility factor of the leader for some outweighs the negative.

Or if you are fishing a limestone rock bottom or any rock bottom and you have enough leader you could keep your braid which is less abrasion resistant to sharp objects off the bottom and let the fluoro which is more abrason resistant do the dirty work.
But again that just depends on the person and their intent with the leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: 68camaro on November 03, 2017, 05:20:22 AM

Thanks

Yes, but most people that fish braid in the 30-65lb ranges arent fishing it because of its "strength" rating, its more of its ability to not stretch, float, castability, cut through vegetation, etc. You dont need 50lb line for a 4lb fish.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 01, 2017, 08:58:50 AM
The only true value is it absorbs sunlight instead of reflecting it. The pros us it for leaders on their braid to create invisible line between the braid and the bait. They believe it can make a difference on tough days.

I use it on crankbait rods. I like that it sinks and I can get a squarebill just a little deeper than I can with mono. The knot I tie has no friction so it doesn't damage the line..

Invisible
sinks
In the beginning it claimed less stretch but until you get to 20 pound or stronger I don't believe it.

Flouro carbon line being round refracts light in different directions making it as visible as any other line, if it were flat it might be another story. Like Mike and others I use it because it sinks and is more abrasion resistant, the advantage of using it as leader for braid for some techniques is the sensitivity of the braid.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.