Braid for Pike?

Started by Bretts_daddy, November 06, 2017, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

I was just talking to a co-worker who just caught a decent 32" Northern Pike and asked him what he used and he said 30lb braid. I asked if he used a leader and he said he didn't. I have always been under the assumption that pike could saw right through braid so you would need a steel leader to catch them but he said he never has used a leader and always just straight braid and he's caught many pike. If I wanted to try and catch some pike would you chance using straight braid without a steel leader?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

coldfront

pike can cut braid.

that said, I've caught over 300 of those wonderful fish from snot rocket size up to 4 feet.  Never lost a single one due to cut line (braid) but pretty much only tossed a #5 mepps skirted inline.

no leader.  tied direct with suffix performance braid in 20# test.

Lipripper

I'm sure that a pike could cut brad with them sharp teeth but I remember fishing up in Canada and catching lots of Northern on a Lindy Rig without a steel leader so you can try it without one and if you lose some you will know it don't work for you.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

I've fished a few lakes that have Northern Pike and Musky and have caught quite a few without ever using a leader of any kind. As coldfront mentioned the Mepps Comet and Mepps Fury inline spinners were/are the ticket and the actual line itself rarely reaches their sharp teeth. I've also hooked a few on jerkbaits and discovered they are masterful at shaking the hard bait loose while jumping, even on a taught line.

If I were actually targeting Northerns, I'd use a steel leader.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bretts_daddy

I just figured that a lot of waters that have big bass also have big pike and so far I've been avoiding those waters but it's severely hamstringing my bass fishing so if I have the ability to catch both types of fish it would open up my inventory of fishable ponds/lakes.

coldfront

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on November 06, 2017, 02:02:28 PM
I just figured that a lot of waters that have big bass also have big pike and so far I've been avoiding those waters but it's severely hamstringing my bass fishing so if I have the ability to catch both types of fish it would open up my inventory of fishable ponds/lakes.

anyone who's ever tossed crankbaits into heavy cover knows you may not get them back.  then again, you might just stick the next state record.

pike or not, it's fishing.  not all lures come back.

zippyduck

I don't use a leader on moving baits.But have had lots of toothy critters cut off my jigs while fishing for bass.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Oldfart9999

Quote from: zippyduck on November 07, 2017, 01:11:43 AM
I don't use a leader on moving baits.But have had lots of toothy critters cut off my jigs while fishing for bass.
What he said!!! You really don't need leaders on moving baits, stainless leaders tend to inhibit the action of slow baits like jigs and worms, big time! Like coldfront said, you will lose baits doing different things, it's fishing.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

Most know I fish multiple waters.

Well, one place I fish is LOADED with Pike.

The/My go to bait is/was a Fluke on this BOW. 

I learned to deal with the multiple bite offs and loosing the Flukes............BUT GOT TIRED OF LOOSING A TROKAR HOOK every time.  ~xyz ^-^ ~xyz

I tried tungsten leaders, steel leaders, multiple different brands and everything I could dream up.
Steel kept the Fluke/hook BUT hurt the action and kinked EVERY time I caught a Pike.
Now I wade this River and retieing on water was a PIA and walking to shore to retie was too!!
Tungsten was better on the kinks but still hurt the action.

So I talked to some Fly Anglers that target Pike and Muskies.

And they introduced me to 'Climax Pike leader'.
(Scientific Angler and others have similar)

These are 'Fly Leaders' and come with a long taper of like 6-8' but I cut them down.
They come with a tie-able wire you can attach or leave off and the major part of leader is like 30+ lb. coply.

Action is great with or with out the wire attached and the line end I simply use a barrel swivel and tie the co-ply to it.

I've also used/use 'tie-able wire leaders' too.
Best I've found are 'Cortland Toothy Critter' (tie-able stainless steel material) OR
'Knot Kinky2' (nickel-titanuim tie-able wire) which is easier to tie and you can easily even tie Albrights and Clinch knots with it as well as 'Loop Knots' which are my favorite when using the Flukes.

If I had to start new......I'd probably start with 'Knot Kinky 2' and tie a barrel swivel to the line and attach it to the other end of barrel swivel to the Kinky.
Then you can simply cut above the barrel swivel to remove when you don't need/want it and easily re-tie to main line when you want to use it again.
(Tie-able/knotable leaders aren't as easy to 'TIE' as one is lead to believe....especially when tieing small knots ;) :) ::)....especially when new to using them)

Oh and the Kinky also has a like 10% stretch to increase your hooksets if using 'moveable baits'
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

coldfront

I used to use tyger wire.  as a tie in leader material.  then realized I wasn't getting bitten off.. so just tied direct to the inline spinners.

Pike are a TON of fun!

analfisherman

Tyger Wire was the first tie-able I used......actually liked it a lot.........just became harder and harder to find in order to buy more....for me up Noth here anyways.

And I under stand you guys knot loosing many using 'inline spinners'.....but I can't even begin to tell you how many 'lipless cranks' I've lost to Pike.

Bretts_daddy

So, let's assume I'm using a leader...I've even seen people recommend like 130lb. fluorocarbon leaders...what main line would you use? Right now on my heavy rod I have a Daiwa tatula CT Type-R 8.1:1 spooled with 50lb Sunline FX2 braid...would that be good enough to handle a big pike?

analfisherman

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on November 07, 2017, 08:52:44 AM
So, let's assume I'm using a leader...I've even seen people recommend like 130lb. fluorocarbon leaders...what main line would you use? Right now on my heavy rod I have a Daiwa tatula CT Type-R 8.1:1 spooled with 50lb Sunline FX2 braid...would that be good enough to handle a big pike?

Yes.......frankly, 50lb. would probably work without a leader.
Just remember to 're-tie' after every fish caught.

You don't need 130lb. flouro either.....simply try like 50lb. first.
Many companies have smaller 'leader' spools of higher test Flouros.......to use just like you mentioned

Bretts_daddy

So for now since our season is rapidly coming to a close (first ice on the ponds/lakes could happen anytime now) if i wanted to just see if I could get a pike for fun I have some 20lb Seaguar Red Label fluorocarbon...could i use that as a leader to either my 50lb. braid or my 15lb fluoro?

CraigP83

The heavy flouro leader is a good idea.  If your targeting pike you don't want straight braid,  their teeth will cut it easily if the catch it right.  Much better off with heavy flouro or heavy mono. I use 20# Berkely Big Game if im using a bait that will attract large pike

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Esox obsessed

Depends on how you hook them and fight them because if they dont get their teeth near the line you're fine but if they do they could probably bite through 200lb fluorocarbon

Bud Kennedy

ESOX,  Is there a particular reason why you are not targeting bass?  The last thing that a bass guy wants to do is catch pike or anything else that is not a bass.  I have noticed you seem to focus on Pike and was just curious.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 11, 2020, 05:19:13 PM
ESOX,  Is there a particular reason why you are not targeting bass?  The last thing that a bass guy wants to do is catch pike or anything else that is not a bass.  I have noticed you seem to focus on Pike and was just curious.
Catch bass all the time just that I think pike and pickerel are a lot more fun-to catch
I mainly use bass lure( wacky rig)