Daiwa Tatula SV TWS

Started by LgMouthGambler, November 07, 2017, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

So here is a broken down Tatula SV for some of you that are interested in what they look like.

In case you are wondering about the 2 wormshaft pictures, as you can see there is the ability to add 2 bearings instead of the bushings. This guys getting a complementary upgrade. ;)

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

Thanks for the pics.

Tell Rick he owes you. ;)
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

Dang dude, you got started on them already! Nice!!!

I like complementary upgrades! Thanks bud! That's mighty nice of you!

That is probably one of the cleanest of the group. When you get to the Tat CT and Type R you might have a little more cleaning to do.  ~shade
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 07, 2017, 08:57:41 PM
Dang dude, you got started on them already! Nice!!!

I like complementary upgrades! Thanks bud! That's mighty nice of you!

That is probably one of the cleanest of the group. When you get to the Tat CT and Type R you might have a little more cleaning to do.  ~shade
Don't get excited, Wife gave me about 30 minutes to jump on it. Lol. She's got a cake to make for this weekend, so I'm on duty with the boy. I figure, I'll get it back together tonight once he's asleep. I'll have the rest done by the end of next week. Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

This will show you the mechanism working the T wing in the cast mode.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

And here it is in the retrieve mode.

<")))>{

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 03:20:22 AM
Don't get excited, Wife gave me about 30 minutes to jump on it. Lol. She's got a cake to make for this weekend, so I'm on duty with the boy. I figure, I'll get it back together tonight once he's asleep. I'll have the rest done by the end of next week. Lol.

<")))>{

Haha that's cool. It's all good.

Don't forget your "secret" oil on that reel. ;)
Man I can't wait to try that reel in particular and see how the upgrades helped and how that new oil performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

For thise of you that were concerned on the "thin plastic pin" that pivots the clutch to the line guide tube, dont worry.
1. Its not a point of pressure because the system is spring loaded driven. Its just a pivot point.
2. Its not exposed to the outside elements, so its protected from dirt and grime and wont wear out due to that.
3. Its rather thick on both points of contact, and is a very solid type of composite.

So unless you use your reels to the point of "its not working right, so it must be time for service" (5 years later, and 3 lbs of crap stuck all in it), dont worry.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 08, 2017, 05:50:15 AM
Haha that's cool. It's all good.

Don't forget your "secret" oil on that reel. ;)
Man I can't wait to try that reel in particular and see how the upgrades helped and how that new oil performs.

Yes, I used the oil you wanted on the spool bearings. Youre gonna have to give me some feedback on how you think the dual bearing support on the wormshaft feels for you.

<")))>{

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 06:03:24 AM
For thise of you that were concerned on the "thin plastic pin" that pivots the clutch to the line guide tube, dont worry.
1. Its not a point of pressure because the system is spring loaded driven. Its just a pivot point.
2. Its not exposed to the outside elements, so its protected from dirt and grime and wont wear out due to that.
3. Its rather thick on both points of contact, and is a very solid type of composite.

So unless you use your reels to the point of "its not working right, so it must be time for service" (5 years later, and 3 lbs of crap stuck all in it), dont worry.

<")))>{

The pivot point becomes a point of "pressure" as the worm gear housing loses lubrication and becomes contaminated since the worm gear housing is moved by just a small plastic pin only. The spring action is on the clutch cam only. The worm gear housing is not spring loaded which would affect the pivot point even more if it were.

The one I worked on recently the frame was corroded under and around the worm gear housing lever. It looked like the water or saltwater had gone inside the reel through the worm gear housing since the corrosion was limited to just that location. And without regular maintenance, the reel's pivot point failed. Regular maintenance would have caught it and may have prevented the failure.

So it might not be exposed to the elements, but water gets in. And if used in saltwater like some are around here, well, some people use them until they stop working.

I see some green grease in use. Interesting.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on November 08, 2017, 06:16:38 AM
The one I worked on recently the frame was corroded under and around the worm gear housing lever. It looked like the water or saltwater had gone inside the reel through the worm gear housing since the corrosion was limited to just that location. And without regular maintenance, the reel's pivot point failed. Regular maintenance would have caught it and may have prevented the failure.
Not to mention that type r looked like it had been mangled.
When I saw the bent handle and shaft in the pic I was sure there would be more damaged parts in there. Who knows what the owner did to that reel.

Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 06:03:24 AM

<")))>{
Thanks for looking into that!

Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 06:04:32 AM
Yes, I used the oil you wanted on the spool bearings. Youre gonna have to give me some feedback on how you think the dual bearing support on the wormshaft feels for you.

<")))>{
Yeah I'll let you know. I'm sure it will be great. I think the CT has the upgrade. I remember doing the spool bearings and wormshaft bearings and I think knob bearings if my memory serves me correctly.

Florida Bass Fishing

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 08, 2017, 06:29:05 AM
Not to mention that type r looked like it had been mangled.
When I saw the bent handle and shaft in the pic I was sure there would be more damaged parts in there. Who knows what the owner did to that reel.

The owner did try and take it apart, but he only got so far and then gave up and tried putting it back together wrong of course. The handle was at an angle because he got the handle nut cross threaded.

I think the biggest problem was the saltwater intrusion corroding the frame. I wish I had photographed it so you could have seen how isolated it was right around the worm gear housing and lever- right in the same place LMG put his green grease.

From what I could tell the owner did not get inside the reel, just the handle and drag star parts outside the reel.

I can only imagine if the reel I worked on had ball bearings in the worm gear, with all that saltwater corrosion inside the reel, the bearings would have been rusted up solid which could have damage some of the plastic gears that spin the worm gear shaft.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on November 08, 2017, 06:16:38 AM
The pivot point becomes a point of "pressure" as the worm gear housing loses lubrication and becomes contaminated since the worm gear housing is moved by just a small plastic pin only. The spring action is on the clutch cam only. The worm gear housing is not spring loaded which would affect the pivot point even more if it were.

So it might not be exposed to the elements, but water gets in. And if used in saltwater like some are around here, well, some people use them until they stop working.

I see some green grease in use. Interesting.

I can see the salty water being an issue with this, or any reel for that matter, and Ive run into that before. But like anything in life, if you dont maintain it properly, you should expect failure.

And yes, the clutch cam is spring loaded, but thats where the pressure is. There isnt really any "pressure" on this pin because the clutch cam takes all that pressure. So, yes, as you stated if run dry, then you will have an issue (as with anything). And yes, thats my secret grease.  ;)

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 06:44:44 AM
...And yes, thats my secret grease.  ;)

Green color denotes a certain type of grease or certain application type. There are two ways of looking at it, either from a title point of view or application point of view.

Over on Alan Tani forum is discussion about it. topic=1772.0

In our shop we also use one type of green grease, but not the same as what I see in these photos. Our green grease is a very specific sticky grease for extreme situations. Our regular use grease is not green. But viewed from the title point of view may be similar and Alan Tani himself says "it would take alot to get me to change from yamaha marine."

The way your green grease lays tells me certain things about it. One, it is definitely not the same green grease we use because we would never use it where you did, and two, it has the appearance of a synthetic in gloss and tanslucence as well as flow out lay characteristics. So maybe title point of view brings us closer to the secret but I won't tell... who knows, maybe you mix your own according the industry standard grease compatibility chart.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on November 08, 2017, 07:09:29 AM
Green color denotes a certain type of grease or certain application type. There are two ways of looking at it, either from a title point of view or application point of view.

Over on Alan Tani forum is discussion about it. topic=1772.0

In our shop we also use one type of green grease, but not the same as what I see in these photos. Our green grease is a very specific sticky grease for extreme situations. Our regular use grease is not green. But viewed from the title point of view may be similar and Alan Tani himself says "it would take alot to get me to change from yamaha marine."

Its not green. Its blue. And its not Yami lube.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 08, 2017, 07:13:25 AM
Its not green. Its blue. And its not Yami lube.

I was not suggesting your grease was Yamaha marine. I was just showing what Alan Tani uses.

But blue? It looks green. But blue narrows it down even more! According to the industry chart blue is used for only 2 types of grease. Green is used for twice as many.

Our shop has specific lubricants that we have to use because manufacturers tell us what to use on their reels. But at home I go my own way in this regard. As long as I don't use a chemical that causes harm I can get away with it.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on November 08, 2017, 07:22:06 AM
I was not suggesting your grease was Yamaha marine. I was just showing what Alan Tani uses.

But blue? It looks green. But blue narrows it down even more! According to the industry chart blue is used for only 2 types of grease. Green is used for twice as many.

Our shop has specific lubricants that we have to use because manufacturers tell us what to use on their reels. But at home I go my own way in this regard. As long as I don't use a chemical that causes harm I can get away with it.

No worries. Just was stating its not Yami, most people think thats what I use when they see the blue. Mines far superior than that. Tackyness, and lube qualities.

SteveTX

Looks kind a blue green to me. But that is the problem with computers and monitors. All the color spectrum can be different just based on models not to mention the millions of adjustment combinations.

Carry on please

SFL BassHunter

Doesn't matter what color it is to me, as long as it works and keeps my reel running smoooooth till next years spa and service treatment lol.
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Got the SV back yesterday and man it is SmOOTH! I have to say it's hard to make that reel smoother than factory but there is a noticeable difference with the bearings and the lubrication LMG used.
I'll be putting it to the test this weekend vs my stock SV to see just how all the other things operate.

Florida Bass Fishing

Kawidaddy

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 10, 2017, 05:34:38 AM
Got the SV back yesterday and man it is SmOOTH! I have to say it's hard to make that reel smoother than factory but there is a noticeable difference with the bearings and the lubrication LMG used.
I'll be putting it to the test this weekend vs my stock SV to see just how all the other things operate.

How was the worm gear bearing upgrade for you? Interested in doing same upgrade on my SV.