Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bout to do some paint!  (Read 260 times)

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
Bout to do some paint!
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »

Big Rebel Minnow that TWBryan threw in the box with the vintage Ambassadeur 5000 I bought from him.
It was blaze orange. I kept it with me so that I could toss it around with my UL rig every now and then just for the funny looks I'd get from other folks ;)

But I've decided to paint this bad boy some more natural colors and see if it'll actually catch a fish!  I'm going to start with a pearl white base coat, some chrome fine flake on the sides, then either dark forest green or a midnight blue flake on top. Since Connie's the artist between the two of us, she'll be doing some gill slashes for me in "Stylish Lillian" red. It'll be finished off with a gloss top coat.
I'm using UV activated gel coat nail polish by the way. That stuff hardens like glass.
I'll be replacing the hooks with some black chrome hooks from a big, deep diving Strike King crank bait. I never use it because it just goes too deep too fast for the waters I fish.

I'm kinda thinking about getting some glue on googly eyes for it :D

Dang thing's bigger than a lot of the bass I catch! Haha!

bigjim5589

Re: Bout to do some paint!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »

Looks like a great project!  ~c~

I have a bunch of them big Rebels, and some Redfin's that I use for Striped Bass. The paint doesn't last real good on them, but they do catch fish.  :)

Be careful with nail polish on those lures, I've done that too in the past & some of the plastic used in lures melts because of the solvents used in the nail polish. Be sure to test a small spot first.  ~shade

Please post some pics of your progress & the finished lure.   ;D
No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

Lol, I already have, accidentally.
See, I attempted it last night and botched the hell out of it.
Cheap Walmart polish that you'd give to someone else's daughter as a last minute Christmas gift? Trash.
Expensive professional grade stuff that the part time manicurist in the house donates to the cause because she never uses it?
Good stuff!

It took me a while with some sandpaper to smooth out the damaged plastic. Now here's something interesting; it's very clearly plastic, but smells unmistakeably like fir.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »

Sounds like a great project and I'm glad Connie is an artist  lo lo Can't wait to see the finished product. Your right that is bigger than most of the Bass you have been catching.  ~roflmao ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:36:46 AM »

Hehehehe... this is hilarious!
Connie came home, had thrown her back out by sneezing (that's not what's funny, that part sucks), so I just did the whole thing myself (that's the funny part).

I cooked us all some dinner, doped her up, and gave her a massage until she fell asleep. Then I decided, well, I'm not going through her paint without her, so I used what I already had in my box.

Lol, with the paints I had and without her steady hands, it came out looking like a kindergarten art project! HAHAHA!
Wonder if a fish will bite it?

gshappell

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »

Hope she feels better!

But i think your art job looks just fine and fish will probably love it!

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »

She said the same!
It took more layers of paint to get the right coverage than I expected and it didn't want to set up the way it's supposed to. I'll be checking it when I get home and see how it looks. If it ain't cured out by tomorrow afternoon, I'll peel it off and try again, or try something different. I noticed the pearl white over it's natural color left it with a golden sheen and the chrome shimmer on top of that looked pretty darn good too! That blue flake seems to be what may have been the "one too many". So if it ain't any good, I may just do the two colors, or just go with much thinner layers. I wish I had a little air brush!
That's one huge benefit of the type of nail polish she gave me: if ya mess it up, it's designed to peel off. Just have to carve a little nick through the paint with a nail file and get it started with a tool of some sort like a needle or dental pick. On nails, she uses a cuticle scraper.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »

Sorry that Connie hurt her back when she sneezed but at least you were there to take care of he and give her a it don't look real bad and it might have caught a fish on it you never know it might have caught a bigger fish for you.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

bigjim5589

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »

Pics don't always do justice to paint on lures, but it looks to me like some old school Striper lures I've used.

If I was a betting man, I would bet it would catch a few bass!  :)
No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

Lol, the pics did too much justice to it! At least fish aren't art critics!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 35 queries.