Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lews Super Duty LFS and Hammer Rods Tackle Trap Limited Edition combo  (Read 594 times)

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass

So Ive posted about the 2 separately on this forum, so lets bring this all together. Theres a special bond here between these 2 pieces of machinery. I dont know how I can explain how these 2 things mate together, but Im gonna try.

The Super Duty LFS is a really amazing reel that Doyo has put together for Lews. The whole reel is smaller in design than the OG, and very comfortable in the hands. When you add in the fact that the gears are very rugged due to being brass, and the drag is stout being carbon, it makes the whole thing click with aluminum frame and crank sideplate. This reel was made for power utilizing a 20lb maximum drag. I, being quite the reel snob, am very impressed with this reel over all. And as you know, I own quite the assortment of high end reels. The LFS Super Duty has blown my mind in overall performance and ergonomics.

Now, lets talk about this Hammer rod. I dont know quite how to describe it. Its like a MACK truck that weighs the same as a Civic. The micro guides, the Fuji seat, the slim profile Wynn grip, and the balance that it has with the Super Duty LFS on it really make this thing a dream to fish with. Would the balance of the rod be different with another reel? Sure. Saying the Super Duty is like the TD Zillion of the Lews brand, its a bit on the heavy side for the weight snobs. Its a 7oz reel no matter what way you look at it. I did swap on a carbon fiber handle on my reel, but thats because I cant help but mod things, and I like the look. The rod balances very well with the reel, and that helps the overall experience.

The Hammer rod is a XH 7'3 edition. Even though I like to fish mainly a 7ft rod, most of the Hammer rods 7'3 length put more to the butt of the rod. This helps with the balance as well. The action of this rod is just insane. It takes the slightest flick to make this rod take a frog and swim it in a walking fashion. When I say slight, I mean slight. Lets just say that I have used the "master of the frogs" LSCR, and this rod has given me a warm and fuzzy feeling while playing with the floating HAWG bait. Now, there is no comparison in overall build quality to what Lee made for Lou, but hey, Im not quite to Lous expertise yet. (But Im waiting on that CHALLENGE Day) lol.

The slim profile of the reel seat and grips, along with the low profile of the LFS frame, allow for a very comfortable experience when walking the frog. Ive had the pleasure of playing around with it a few times, and had a good blow up on it. The first time I set the hook on a fish, I realized just how powerful this rod is. The whole thing almost stopped my hands in their tracks, and that rod was just stout. Alls I had was a small chunk of meat on one of the hooks of the frog. Lol.

I am quite excited to be getting back into the frog game as I used to fish them a lot when I was younger. This combo has definitely made me excited to play with the floating, walking, pig slaying bait. I may just have to get the boat wet for a few hours Sunday morning in hopes of battling something on the other end.

<")))>{
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:44:33 PM by LgMouthGambler »
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Lews Super Duty LFS and Hammer Rods Tackle Trap Limited Edition combo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »

So when you mated the two, did they make a baby frog ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6.31 PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

So when you mated the two, did they make a baby frog ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yeah. You see it? Its was a little black frog. Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »

Very cool!! Hope you break in the rod with some quality bass.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »

Really nice looking setup. I'm still not convinced on those grips. Everything else seems like you spent you $ wisely not just buying what ever cost a ass load of $. If the rod can take it you shouldn't need a frog setup for awhile. I have been extremely satisfied with all my Lew's reels and see no reason that reel shouldn't be a excellent frog reel for a long time. I like the whole package appearance wise. Just me I am not into flashy. It looks tough like a frog rod should.  lo

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:14 AM »

I'll be waiting for a report on how it handles in the thicks  stuff. I am looking for a good frog combo and that price beats everything I am looking at.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:17:53 AM »

LMG,
I've said it before and I'm proud to say it again.......

THE KNOWLEDGE....THE SENSE OF MATCHING A REEL TO A ROD........YOUR KNACK FOR TURNING A REEL INTO A WORK OF ART (I COMPARE IT TO LEE'S ABILITIES WITH THE ART OF ROD BUILDING)..........YOUR KNACK OF TURNING A GREAT REEL INTO AN EVEN GREATER REEL.........you just never fail to amaze and impress me!!!!!!!!!   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:21:52 PM »

Lews shows a g spool and a wide spool. Which did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »

Lews shows a g spool and a wide spool. Which did you get?

G. The wide is the OG style. The G is the new LFS model.

<")))>{

kadas

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

Good looking outfit LMG--glad it is well balanced and it sure looks like a frog throwing outfit!!

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »

I picked one up. I bought a lews magnum rod to put it in. Iíve never owned a lews product.  Iím going to fish it hard this weekend. Weíll see how it does.
I did notice they make it easy to anchor line to the spool. Itís easy to open the side plate as well.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

I picked one up. I bought a lews magnum rod to put it in. Iíve never owned a lews product.

Got my first Lews this year, you're gonna like it,
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

Mike the fox

• Bass Fishing Guide
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »

Been looking at getting a lews reel. Hope Iím not being too nosy but whatís the ballpark figure on that outfit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »

Been looking at getting a lews reel. Hope Iím not being too nosy but whatís the ballpark figure on that outfit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The rods are on sale now at tackletrap $205.00 Sale: $164.00
That reel he got a excellent deal on it was on sale for $99 a few weeks ago, but that Lew's Super Duty reel is $179.99 typically.

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »

Got my first Lews this year, you're gonna like it,

I didnít use it as much as I had planned this weekend as the bass were hammering a paddle tail Swimbait so I stuck with that on another setup. I think I went too far with the rod. Itís to long for me. I canít hit anything with it. But Iíll say this, the reel is just okay. The brakes do not impress me. I can pull the line and make a few inches of line spool off even when locked. The crank will even turn back just a little. Iím going to try it on another rod and see what I think.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »

I didnít use it as much as I had planned this weekend as the bass were hammering a paddle tail Swimbait so I stuck with that on another setup. I think I went too far with the rod. Itís to long for me. I canít hit anything with it. But Iíll say this, the reel is just okay. The brakes do not impress me. I can pull the line and make a few inches of line spool off even when locked. The crank will even turn back just a little. Iím going to try it on another rod and see what I think.

Really I have all kinds of Lew's reels and the anti-reverse is excellent on all of them. I cant say that any of them even with tons of use will turn backwards.

The drag is also suppose to be a heck of a upgrade on the new models as its been increased to 20 lbs max. That is quite a bit in a bass reel based on much of the comparable brands. Are you sure its not line stretch, slipping on the spool, or if braid digging in? When you say, "a few inches of line spool off even when locked." how many inches are you seeing come off roughly?

I have a Super Duty in the mail coming to me from the last sale. I expect it to be better than my older models. I sure hope the quality isn't taking a dip.

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »

Really I have all kinds of Lew's reels and the anti-reverse is excellent on all of them. I cant say that any of them even with tons of use will turn backwards.

The drag is also suppose to be a heck of a upgrade on the new models as its been increased to 20 lbs max. That is quite a bit in a bass reel based on much of the comparable brands. Are you sure its not line stretch, slipping on the spool, or if braid digging in? When you say, "a few inches of line spool off even when locked." how many inches are you seeing come off roughly?

I have a Super Duty in the mail coming to me from the last sale. I expect it to be better than my older models. I sure hope the quality isn't taking a dip.

2 or 3 inches. Itís defiantly not line stretch as you can see the crank turn a little. Iíll find a use for the reel. Bought the rod and reel to use specifically for frogs. The rod is just way too much for me. Iíll
Keep it though and eventually use the rod in a bay at some point for trout or redfish where accuracy doesnít matter.
Iím going to try the reel on a falcon lowrider rod this weekend. Iíve been given a 3 day pass to disappear this weekend and I donít even have to take my dogs with me. Fishing all day every day this weekend.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »

I agree with you on both points, but as to your first, I also use paddle tail swimbaits and tear them up with the 3" and 4" sizes gets me the most action. I use a Shimano Curado iHG on a 6'6" MH rod and sometimes the 3" lures on a 6'6" medium action rod.
In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.