In what season did you catch your PB?

Started by thebassingirl, November 12, 2017, 11:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Hey Lip how big was that one you caught at the Fork rally, it was tough fishing and I remember it being one of the biggest anyone caught?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 13, 2017, 11:36:36 AM
Hey Lip how big was that one you caught at the Fork rally, it was tough fishing and I remember it being one of the biggest anyone caught?
It was only around 4 or 5 lb also and it sure was cold that day.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

reitzells

9.2 Red River Early February 2007 Spinnerbait
9.2 Toledo Bend End of May 2016 Punching
8.9 Toledo Bend September 29th 2017 Swimming a Jig
SHAKY HEAD SHAKY HEAD EYE'S LIKE A FROG DIVE DOWN DEEP AND PULL ME OUT A HOG!

creekbasser

Caught this one in the spring. No idea how much it weight but if definitely is biggest I have ever caught. Pulled me around in the kayak for a couple minutes before I could land it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Quote from: creekbasser on November 13, 2017, 08:12:12 PM
Caught this one in the spring. No idea how much it weight but if definitely is biggest I have ever caught. Pulled me around in the kayak for a couple minutes before I could land it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Nice one. That is a real fatty.

coldfront

SteveTX

Quote from: coldfront on November 13, 2017, 10:15:53 PM
big boned Steve, BIG BONED!
Uh um oh yeah yeah big boned.  lo
That one is built like most of the ones in the lake I am fishing. More football shaped. Kind a hurts the IBASS score.  lo

Deadeye

Funny reading through this just how many never actually answered the question of the OP of WHEN (what time of year) did you catch your PB.

I have several that are within 5 oz of each other. 7 lb to 7 lb 5 oz.

All were caught from April to October so mostly the hottest months of the year, summer.

thebassingirl

One of the reasons I asked the question is because I'm told that Fall/Winter is the best time to catch big bass, but I'm seeing a lot of Spring/Summer time frames on here instead. Very interesting!  ~read
This ain't your daddy's Zebco

cport

Quote from: thebassingirl on November 14, 2017, 10:23:33 AM
One of the reasons I asked the question is because I'm told that Fall/Winter is the best time to catch big bass, but I'm seeing a lot of Spring/Summer time frames on here instead. Very interesting!  ~read

Just a hypothesis, but many anglers (of course, not UB members) shut it down in late fall and winter; it's a tough bite under uncomfortable conditions, and a very slow (to my understanding) presentation. Maybe as a percentage of fish caught to time on the water, the winter may indeed yield bigger bass.

Now, spring, of course, means spawn, and there are some big mamas out there, and lots of anglers targeting them. And summer, people are on the water more often, so more opportunity to catch fish.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: thebassingirl on November 14, 2017, 10:23:33 AM

You  have to factor regional differences in here too.

For instance in parts of New Hampshire and Maine the spawn doesn't take place until sometime between mid June and Mid July. That is why in my reply I mentioned my PB came in summer "by the calendar" but it was a late spawning fish. In MA the spawn usually happens about mid May but I have caught many, many bass 5 pounds and over in June or July. A good number of those fish were literally dripping eggs when I pulled them out of the net. And several times when fishing Lake Winnipesaukee in August I have come across pairs of fish on beds (doing their little mating dance as I call it) not even having layed their eggs yet.

Bass don't have the same calendar as we do and different regions of the country are in different phases of the bass' calendar at the same time. So June or July could be spring for them up here and October and November could be winter.  (We already have ice around the shorelines on a lot of the smaller ponds I usually fish and it won't be much longet until they are frozen solid.  ::))
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SFL BassHunter

My PB technically was caught in the "fall". Start of October. But since we really don't have fall down here so it's hard to say.
It inched out my previous PB by a few oz. the previous PB I was during "winter" in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

scottemory72

My PB came on the same day as my best day ever:

Middle of the summer, early afternoon in 90 degree heat, I was flipping a jig.
I caught a 8.5, a 6.5, 2 fish that went 5 each, and a 3 lber. 

Not too bad for Illinois.

Lipripper

Quote from: scottemory72 on November 15, 2017, 06:48:22 AM
My PB came on the same day as my best day ever:

Middle of the summer, early afternoon in 90 degree heat, I was flipping a jig.
I caught a 8.5, a 6.5, 2 fish that went 5 each, and a 3 lber. 

Not too bad for Illinois.
Was that in Illinois or somewhere else? If it was I need to come visit your lake.  lo lo

Polaris425

Come to think of it, the last couple of fish that I've caught over 4lbs have all been in colder weather.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Dink Dawg

Lipripper

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on November 13, 2017, 11:38:15 AM
It was only around 4 or 5 lb also and it sure was cold that day.

any chance that is a spotted bass?

scottemory72

Quote from: Lipripper on November 15, 2017, 09:06:19 AM
Was that in Illinois or somewhere else? If it was I need to come visit your lake.  lo lo

Yes it was in Illinois, it's an big old farm pond attached to a duck club.  I think those fish got big eating baby ducks and geese 😂

WataugaLaker

Spring, 6lb smallie on a t-rig worm on SoHo lake

Fall, 20+" wild rainbow trout, fly fishing SoHo tailwater

Fall, 20+" wild brown trout, fly fishing SoHo tailwater

Summer, 25lb striper on Watauga River

Lipripper

Quote from: coldfront on November 16, 2017, 08:45:02 AM
any chance that is a spotted bass?
I'm not to sure I was to cold to look that close.  lo lo

Lipripper

Quote from: scottemory72 on November 16, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
Yes it was in Illinois, it's an big old farm pond attached to a duck club.  I think those fish got big eating baby ducks and geese 😂
That would do it alright. You still fish that pond?

big g

February 21, 2001, at noon at Loxahatchee Federal Perserve.  It was a slow day, and I saw a fish chasing bait along the bank in two foot of water.  Threw a weightless fluke into the mix with my lightest outfit, a spinning rod with 10 pound mono.  The big one hit, and lucky for me, ran out into deeper water in the canal.  Had she headed for the pads, she would have been gone.  She was 11.4, and 28 inches. ~sun
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.