Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Livewell Cable question?  (Read 147 times)

ʇuǝɹq

• Forum Staff
  • Woo Pig Sooie!!!
Livewell Cable question?
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »

One of my selector is an absolute pain in the :ass to turn. It's only a matter of time before it breaks. Does anyone have any "how too's" to help free the cable up? I don't want to dig into it, then for sure break the cable.

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
Re: Livewell Cable question?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »

It helps to have a cable lube adapter and a can of cable lube.

The problems I've experienced have all been due to water and corrosion getting into the cable in the bilge area. You'll need to access the bilge area, find cables and valves, then remove the cable from the valve.

Option 1. Clean and lube the cable.

Check the valve to see if it opens and closes freely by hand. If it does, the only problem is in the cable and you can try soaking the end in a petroleum based solvent (kerosene, gallon WD-40, etc) and working the lever at the helm. The longer you work it the more crud you'll get loosened up and the better it will move. Once you're satisfied think you have the cable working well, remove the actuator lever at the helm, wrap a cloth around it to catch the excess lube, attach the cable lube adapter and start shooting some cable lube in. Check for the cable lube at the actuator. Once you have lube at the control end, you're done. Reassemble.

Option 2. Replace the cable.

Remove the actuator, use the old cable to pull a pull string to be used to pull the new cable or attach the new cable to the old cable and pull it through. Pull strings have worked better for me. I believe TH-Marine sells both the TH-Marine and FlowRite now. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »

Brent since you are a mechanic you understand how it work. There are three places that can cause the binding. It could be the selector it's self, the cable or the valve.

Many times it's easy to pull the selector out of the dash or console. Once removed verify that it moves freely. If it does, use pliers and verify that the cable is still difficult to move. I've see the selector wear at the point the cable attaches and cause a bind.

If all that checks out you need to do the same at the valve. Hopefully the valve is easy to get to. I promise that it's always easier to remove the valve form the system versus trying to get the cable off the valve with it still attached. Save the heart ache and remove the valve. Once out verify it moves freely and then check the cable again for stiffness with the pliers.

Most times its the valve, debris gets in it, then you fight to cycle it and the debris becomes permanently jammed or causes nicks or burrs on the valve that continue to tighten things up.

As you know from your aircraft days it could very well be the cable. If it's the cable, get one of the super thin High Tech Lubricant/cleaning sprays and spray it into the cable several times and let it do it's magic.

If you don't want to tear into it, try the cable spray first.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ʇuǝɹq

• Forum Staff
  • Woo Pig Sooie!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was thinking that would be the jist of it. Sometimes I imagine things being easier to do than they really are, and wind up tearing into something that causes me a ton of heart ache so I had to ask. I may use your guys info, and make a YouTube video.

One bonus with my boat being an 04 Skeeter, is that it is super easy to get to all the cables and valves.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »

A video would be awesome !!!
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

1; Give it to Mike or Jim to fix!! lo lo ;)

They gave very good suggestions, when you're done set up a schedule to lube the cable and fittings during the season and it should never be an issue again.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 35 queries.