You Can't Quit Bass Fishing

Started by Bud Kennedy, November 14, 2017, 11:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

How many times have you heard folks say they are quitting bass fishing?  They take action to sell their boat and all their fishing goodies thinking that this will bring along an end to their participation in the sport.

I am here to tell you that this is a flawed assumption.  Over my many years I have learned first hand that while you can quit bass fishing you can't shake the never-ending call of the lake.  I guess a better way to put it is you can quit bass fishing but in won't quit you.

I have quit bass fishing a few times due to life getting in the way.  I assure you that I never got it out of my mind even after 20+ years of not fishing.  I would still read about it in magazines or watch it on TV.   The virus of fishing will linger in your soul waiting for any opportunity to flare up and bring you back into the sport.  You may reach a time in your life where your health or age may prevent your participation in the sport but you know that once a bass angler always a bass angler. 

My virus was re activated upon my retirement.  The first thing I did upon retirement was to purchase another Ranger boat to replace the one that I sold over 20 years prior.  I was then forced to buy all new equipment and experienced my first true monkey bite in decades.  The monkey still gnaws at my old crusty soul and provides hours of entertainment.  Today the right of passage also includes lurking on bass fishing forum sites and then becoming an active member.  Even folks who currently cannot go fishing enjoy their time with their cyber brothers.  Their wisdom and participation is what makes this whole forum stuff worth it.  While that may not make sense to some it makes sense to me and I am forever a bass angler and truly hope the addiction never stops.

Kris

You are absolutely right, again, Bud.
Back in the 80's I was a serious bass fisherman. Twenty foot guided missle, Clubs, Tournaments, yearly run to Lansdowne Ontario to fish and travel to several different states to fish. Then, work got in the way. Promoted to the Service Office for an Automotive Distributor of Toyota Vehicles. Shortly after that promoted to on the road, District Service Manager. It was fun but ate up all my time, every Friday I had to re-introduce myself to my new Grandson(1990). This is what started my 20+ year hiatus from bass fishing. I did carry a two-piece spinning rod and small tackle box as I traveled through Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. Then I traded off fishing to using Amateur Radio and talking all over the World while covering my Territory.
During my association with a local Amateur Radio Club I was asked to go fishing with another Ham,Bob, known here as fishandkamp. That relit the bass fishing bug in me.
Couple years later I built my first of two electric reservoir boats on a budget. Now that I am retired and working part-time I try to fish as much as possible. Luckily for me I had stored a lot of my tackle and didn't have to buy it all back. I did buy many new rods and reels and lived out of the clearance section at Walmarts in three States before I retired.
Here we are about eight years later and I have replaced almost all of those rods with better quality stuff. I have added to my tackle from many of the Sponsors here on UB. I have even helped a Family Friend and neighbor get the electric reservoir boat he bought up and running . I am allowed to use this boat to fish two local reservoirs that I don't want to limit myself with a permit for my boat.
So I guess you are right and this hobby stays in your system and somehow gets activated again as time goes on. I certainly don't regret it one bit.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Polaris425

I've been toying w/ the idea of selling the boat, but not the equipment.

Got a lot of thinking to do on it.

I'll quit fishing the day I die. And even then, I'm still hoping we can fish in Heaven. I mean, Jesus' best friends were fishermen so... :D
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Sandman7925

I gave up deer hunting and never looked back. Don't miss it at all. I may not be able to fish for a few weeks here and there but I'll never quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merc1997

i for one have grown up fishing.  it is just part of me.  when i get to the point that i can no longer fish, you just as well dig a 6' hole, stick me in it, and kick the dirt in.

yes, i do have a passion for catching fish, but being out on the lake, river, or creek has always been my outlet to get away and just enjoy what was created for us.

there has never been such a thing as a bad fishing trip for me.  no, it would be impossible for me to ever give up fishing.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

I came back to fishing from a 10-12 year hiatus and haven't looked back!!! WRT, sell your boat if you must but figure you'll eventually buy some thing that floats so you can leave the crowd!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

I have fished from the age of 5 to now and forever. In my early twentys I found the bug for bass fishing and joined a club but several years later I became a father and my bass fishing droped off. I still fished but only when the time allowed so picking one fish was limiting. Not tha I did not fish for them but no where near as hardcore.
25 years later a co-worker needed a partner for a tourney. We came in 4th place place and it fired up the passion big time again. Until then an old bantum baitcaster was good enough along with my ugly stik spinning setups.
It has been extremely fun to beat other guys with old tricks that no one uses anymore.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

Quote from: merc1997 on November 14, 2017, 09:41:22 PM

yes, i do have a passion for catching fish, but being out on the lake, river, or creek has always been my outlet to get away and just enjoy what was created for us.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Days like these, fellas, days like these...  they're real special from the deck of a boat.

D.W. Verts

I quit for 16 years. Dreamed about it a lot.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Bud, great read you started.  I've been at it since I was 16yrs.  I'll quit when they close the lid on me and cover me with dirt  ~shade 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Quote from: coldfront on November 15, 2017, 01:11:19 PM
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Days like these, fellas, days like these...  they're real special from the deck of a boat.

coldfront I'm thinking your trying to post some pictures but they don't showing up. :-\

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

analfisherman

I really can't imagine me ever not fishing.

Frankly, at 12 I took a morning paper route during the Summer in downtown Lacrosse because it was downtown which bordered the Mississippi River.
Every morning I'd carry a two piece rod and Crappie (was my main target until like 17-18) jigs and plastics. (easier than dealing with live bait and I no longer needed to sell night crawlers on the corner due to the paper business)
I would fish until I had to go home for my afternoon route which was in my neighborhood.

Once out of college I chose my profession because I meet people in their homes and I could carry my fishing gear because the counties were loaded with BOWs to fish.
I carried a bag lunch so I could eat in a park and fish during lunch and did the same on any and all breaks.
Even met numerous folks fishing (in my dress cloths and tie) who later became clients.
Business isn't just done on the Golf course!  ;) ;D

Once in management....first office over looked the Mississippi River and I again would spend many a lunch hour fishing.

Then I rose to a position of moving around the country opening new offices and once up and running in the 'black', which on average would take 2-3 years...sometimes longer....sometimes shorter.
These positions were 'offered' to me...not demanded of me.
Before excepting a new location I would research the area (ya I've always been anal) and see how good the fishing opportunities were in the area.
Talking BOWs...not what was being caught.
If the area had water....I would except the transfer...and move.

So you can see.....my WHOLE LIFE evolves around being able to fish.

I have NEVER even entertained the idea of not fishing.......just WHAT I'd be fishing for and WHERE it would take place.

I have a 'Living Will' which clearly states that if I can't fish and my mind is gone and unable to make my own decisions.......what should be done.

Son has Medical Power of Attorney........and he's ready to put my gear on Ebay as soon as he gets home from dumping my ashes in the 'designated' bodies of water (3 to be exact).....half going in fireworks....hoping God and St. Peter will figure I'm already half way there so they might as well let me stay awhile.   ;) :)

So YA........I really don't see me not fishing.  lo
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on November 15, 2017, 07:10:33 PM
coldfront I'm thinking your trying to post some pictures but they don't showing up. :-\
interesting.  they show up here just fine.

Deadeye

Not showing for me either, Coldfront.

coldfront

Quote from: Deadeye on November 16, 2017, 07:56:08 AM
Not showing for me either, Coldfront.

hmmm.  did the same thing for the whopper plopper image.  that was seen.

how about this?

Kris

Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

coldfront

Quote from: Kris on November 16, 2017, 01:30:07 PM
No pics here either Coldfront

perhaps it's the XXX nature of the pics   lo

to hot to handle