Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Bass  (Read 205 times)

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Old Bass
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »

In 2008, I was fishing a tourney at Kentucky Lake in the fall. I had been catching small bass (alright, they were dinks!) on a jig, I decided to switch colors before starting in a new area. After cutting off about 4 ft. of line and tying on, I tossed out the jig. I was going to let it out behind the boat to stretch out some coiling. I set the rod down to tidy the front deck and saw my line tighten. Quickly setting the hook, I retrieved the bass to the boat in no time. As I bent over the gunnel, my heart almost stopped. Two large eyes and a HUGE bucket mouth were facing me. I knew the bass was over 10 lbs. When I brought her in, I stared at the longest, skinniest bass I had ever seen. The bass was blind in one eye, the skin looked slimy and I knew it was a very old bass. She was probably looking for her last meal. I quickly weighed and measured her but knew she wouldn't survive to the weigh-in. I didn't have the heart to keep her. She went back into the water and I hope she found a last meal. I took the length and compared it to a length = weight table. She would have weighed 11+ lbs in her prime. At release, she weighed just under 5 lbs. Anyone else caught an old girl( and I don't mean your third wife)?

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Re: Old Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »

One summer about 18 years ago I caught a 20" smallie in the spring in a small river at the time she might have weighed 2lbs. She had a large white spot in front of her top fin and an old scar on her mouth.Two months later I caught her again and she looked healthier, now weighing about 3 lbs. In late August I caught her a third time and she weighed almost 5 lbs.
The first time I caught her I thought she was on her last leg.

If you need me I'm outdoors.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »

I've caught several like that, didn't even have the heart to weigh them just put them and hoped they got better. It's surprising how light they bite, probably hitting with all the strength they have left and the prey doesn't fight back til you set the hook.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cros3

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:08:56 AM »

I've caught one like that. Huge head and bucket mouth . Long skinny fish and was also blind in one eye. Should have been 8lbs fish and I don't think it weighed over 4. I've got pictures of it somewhere felt bad for the old girl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:58 AM »

23" long and only 3.6 pounds. Caught her on Memorial Day 2016.

D.W. Verts

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »

In March of '94 I was practicing for a Red Man the following day on Grand Lake. I was havin' a decent day- the fish were doin' what they needed to be doin'- eatin' Wiggle Warts on points and channel swings.

After having caught enough 2 and 3 pounders to convince me that all was good in the world, I commenced to try to figure out some bigger fish. I moved back down towards the main lake from where I was fishin', throwin' a jig and frog, and a Magnum 'Wart around.

We pulled up on a relatively flat point (for March), but it had a channel swing about fifty yards away. There was a huge laydown on it, with the limbs stretching out to maybe 6-8 feet of water. I threw that big 'Wart across the main trunk of the tree in probably three feet of water, and when it came across the trunk it got ATE.

There was no doubt I'd connected with a good 'un, and I immediately jumped down off the deck. As I did the fish jumped- I wish I'd have seen it. My buddy goes "OH MY GOSH"... Waves washed up on the bank (well, it makes for a good story).

We got the fish in the boat and it was HUGE. I mean, Gi-NORMOUS. The mouth was something like 10-1/2" across. The length was just shy of 27"... And the girth? About 20". Absolutely no belly. Hell, it didn't have any EARS. No meat at all.

She was battle-scarred, but no hot-spots or nasty places. Just a very old, probably Florida-strain (they tried that at Grand) Elk River warrior.

We didn't carry scales back then, so we loaded her into the livewell to weigh later (and hopefully make an impression on the other competitors).

Just a very minutes later my buddy opens the livewell to take another look, and the fish is belly-up. I think she busted her bladder when she jumped, and there was no saving her.

About four hours later she weigh 7 pounds and 13 ounces. Do the math on a 27" bass with "normal" girth. Or do the math with the extra allowed for a pre-spawn female. This old girl had to be at one time one of the biggest bass in Grand Lake.

I left the fish with a local tackle shop to be picked up after the tournament. I figured I was gonna get her taxidermied as a tribute to the life she must have led. But the freezer behind the tackle shop was empty that Sunday evening, and no one knew a thing.

The next year there was a MONSTER mount on that tackle shops' wall however. I mean a BIG 'UN.

Well, that's MY story (and you did ask!). I got lots of them. Most of them are true. Mostly.

Dale

Just an old, broke-down bass fisherman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 35 queries.