Mud puddle ponds skunking me

Started by 68camaro, November 15, 2017, 06:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

Due to lots of rain my two local ponds look like mud, last few times out lure was not visibly a few inches under water dangling from your rod.

How would you fish this, I tried deep and shallow. I Threw chatterbaits, spnners, Whopper Ploppers even tried those livingstone cranks that make a noise. Water temps have neen low 46 - 50, sky overcast.

These are shallow neighborhood ponds with no structure but do have brush/bushes overhanging one side in areas.

Thanks
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Lipripper

I'm not sure what would work fishing in Mud. Maybe a crank telephone.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Lipripper on November 15, 2017, 09:39:12 AM
I'm not sure what would work fishing in Mud. Maybe a crank telephone.  ;D

If fish are there that will work.  I haven't used one of those in years  ~shhh
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SteelHorseCowboy

I checked the barn last time that was recommended to me, I don't have one anymore.

68camaro

The pond has fish, but color is so dark not sure if they just shut down during these times. I figured a jig wouldn't work unless I landed it on ones nose:)

Lipripper

Quote from: 68camaro on November 15, 2017, 02:14:39 PM
The pond has fish, but color is so dark not sure if they just shut down during these times. I figured a jig wouldn't work unless I landed it on ones nose:)
Try one with rattles on it you never know till you try and under these conditions if you draw a we will let you slide on that skunk diploma.  ;D

Capt. BassinLou

If the water clarity is that bad, I will look for other water sources in the mean time, until the water clarity improves on the 2 local ponds. 

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 15, 2017, 02:23:25 PM
If the water clarity is that bad, I will look for other water sources in the mean time, until the water clarity improves on the 2 local ponds.
Either that or fish for catfish.  ;D

68camaro

Quote from: Lipripper on November 15, 2017, 02:17:54 PM
Try one with rattles on it you never know till you try and under these conditions if you draw a we will let you slide on that skunk diploma.  ;D

I may take the mulligan:) thanks.

Lipripper

Quote from: 68camaro on November 15, 2017, 03:48:51 PM
I may take the mulligan:) thanks.
Welp if you want it no problem . Just post that your tried it and didn't catch anything and I will do the rest.  ;D

zippyduck

Fish dark colored jigs and T-rigs right on the shore. In muddy conditions fish move as close to the shore as they can get. The water deeper is muddier and they don't like to breath mud  so They move to the clearest water which is usually right on the bank.
Long parallel casts and slow, slow movements will get you strikes.

Hope this helps
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

bigjim5589

68, if you had all that rain, then you probably had a cold front move thru too. That often shuts then down for a few days, even if the waters aren't muddied.

I don't like fishing in muddy water, but when I have my go to lure is a big, all black spinnerbait. It has to have a very full skirt & the biggest Colorado blades that won't cause it to roll.

Black seems to be seen well by the bass in muddy water and the big blades put off a lot of vibration so that can easily find it.  The heavy skirt also pushes a lot of water, so that too makes a lot of vibrations.

I've used big spinnerbaits like this up to 1 oz, in places that when the water clarity is normal, a 3/8 or 1/2 oz is a usual choice.  However, I've used 1/2 oz too, because in water depth that's too shallow if you go too heavy, all you'll be doing is stirring up more mud.

In addition, many times I have fished these big spinnerbaits close in to the bank, as what Zippy has said holds true & if there's any current, especially a strong current ( and I fished tidal rivers a lot) the bass will move in close to the bank to get out the current.

Once the waters start to cool, they may also move in around shallow water areas on a sunny day as that water will warm up faster. If the bottom that a dark type of mud, that also warms faster as it absorbs the heat from the Sun.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

I fish waters that have less than 12" of visibility a lot. I'm no expert but what works for me is not always the normal. I use white toads a lot on top in lilly pads, open water, near the edges, near cover, or just about anywhere but deeper water. Generally 6ft or less is best for me. Be steady with the retrieve as they hone in on that vibration / sound. If your erratic they seem to miss. Also make sure to not give up if you run it across a high % area and don't get a hit. I've run the same area as many as 4 or 5 times same bait same retrieve before they get mad and explode. 

Also all my soft plastics have rattles, the louder the better for me. And last is the bait size. Go bigger not smaller. For one its much easier to get a loud 5mm or bigger rattle in a 12" worm vs a 7' that it wont ever go in. Two ever hear of finding a needle in a haystack? Well lets make the needle a hay fork. Much easier to find so I use the same principal for the bass. I promise a 12" bass will hit a 12" worm. ;)

Back to colors I've had my best luck on top water with bright chartreuse and white but in the water the whole spectrum has produced. Lately I have played with black n blue but before that oranges and browns and before that it was greens dark and light. The rattle and size made the biggest difference for me. 

One of my go to baits is the Netbait Paca Craw with a Gene Larew Glass Rattle. These rattles are some of the biggest and have a great drawing power. The Paca Craws and even the Baby Paca Craws hollow body is a perfect fit for these. They actually change the sound when buried in the bait its kind of a hollow sound but loud. 

One last tip there is a excellent price on the Paca Craws at Monster Sale Price: $2.69

68camaro

I've hit banks and under bushes,  got a couple  blowups but they either missed or not committing.

SteveTX, liking the rattle idea, did not know about these. BassPro has some so I will try to pickup over weekend and give them a try.

Stren_g

Getting a few blow ups, even without landing one is still good. You've located a few fish, and know that they're willing to eat. This is the time to throw a follow up lure, or change your retrieve up a bit. What I would do is throw a black colorado blade spinnerbait as bigjim said or a dark shallow diving crankbait right behind a that frog if they don't commit. Another idea is to try a walk the dog type lure, again dark colored. It'll make plenty o' racket for the bass to hone in on.

analfisherman

Lipless Cranks (rattletrap style baits).

Don't have to fish them fast always (but definitely give that a try) but you can Yo-Yo them....burn and drop and repeat....across whole pond.
Cast multiple back to back casts in exact same casting lane.....often first couple will get them 'watching' where the noise is coming from and then a semi fast retrieve with stops/pauses will trigger a bite.

Paddle Tail swim baits may work......kind of amazing how much 'noise/vibration' they put off and muddy water Bass often will be relying on their 'lateral lines' to find their prey.

Last but not least....heavy rains wash in worms from the banks....especially crawlers.
Try stick bait style baits (senko type).
Heck a slow rolled ribbon tail worm may even work.
Throw them wackie with hard pops and let flutter back....but straight TX rigged using same actions works too.
Fish weightless. (no bullet head weight)
Try whites, Chartrues colors or even Bumble Bee patterns....brighter the better.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

basss

So .... any luck with the tips the guys provided for you?
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard