What Went Right and What Went Wrong

Started by scottemory72, November 15, 2017, 07:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottemory72

For some of us the season is over and we are eagerly waiting for next year.  I was reflecting on what went right for me this year and what I could have done better.

What went right:
Bought some Dobyns Rods and fell in love with them.  Flipped and pitched a little less and fished other lures more, caught a lot of fish on crankbaits this year.  Bought a new boat.

What went wrong:
I didn't fish topwater as much as I wanted.  Fishless on a chatterbait.  Tackle organization was a mess.  Need to expand my rod and reel arsenal.  Need to learn a finesse technique.

What went right for you guys and what went wrong during your season?

Wizard

What went right:
I got to fish for the first time in my boat in 5 years.

What went wrong:
Not a doggone thing.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

What went wrong, shoulder surgery making me miss the summer season! :( :(
What went right, as I got back on the water for fall I caught a new PB on my home water with a relatively new to me technique!! ;D ;D
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pacific NW Ron

What went right:
First I managed to stay at full retirement all year.   First full year of retirement.
One of my customers from when I had the store invited me to fish with him.   We fished a few times together and found out we are really compatible when it comes to fishing.   In fact we introduced our wives and we now have some new friends.
I managed to fish much more than I have been in recent years, even though I was semi-retired for about the previous five years.  Fished most Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays except June when we were on the road trip.
I put a lot of bass in the boat including a good number of 4lbers, 5lbers, a few 6lbers and my Washington personal best 6.3lbs.  To some of you those are just average fish but the Washington average largemouth is around 2 pounds. 
Even with that the wife and me took a 22 day 6300 mile road trip.
All in all had a great summer.

What went wrong:
As far as fishing I can't really think of anything that I would say went wrong.
Just the normal stuff fall in once, lose a few bigger fish etc. of which the picture below was one of them. 
Season was to short
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Stren_g

I wouldn't say anything went "wrong" for me. It's been a good year though. I spent more time on the water this year than the previous four put together, and I caught a lot of good fish.
The only thing I'm not fond of is the oncoming cold weather  :'(

cport

Things that went wrong:
Signed up at Bass Resource
Broke 3 spinning rods
Listened to LMG and tried pink Senkos

Things that went right:
Left BR for Ultimate Bass
Listened instead of spoke, learned a lot on the board and from those I have met (Thanks
      Kent, Jeff, and Barry)
Caught my new PB
Upgraded my tackle
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteelHorseCowboy

Wrong:
Don't know where to begin. Maybe the beginning?
First pirogue was stolen, broke the second one, had a hell of a time getting reacquainted with my old favorite reel, broke a different reel, first pirogue was damaged beyond repair when I finally found it, I generally just suck at bass fishing.
Damn gators are everywhere.

Right:
Got back into fishing after a long hiatus, joined UB, got some new rods and reels and some that are just new to me, went fishing with my old man, caught a PB that, knowing me, will probably stand as my PB for years. First topwater catch and first spinner bait catch.

Something that WILL go right?
This is Louisiana. I'll be out fishing all winter long!

FlatsNBay

There's still plenty of fishing time left in the year down here in Florida. I hope to get out some during the holidays and maybe once or twice with another UB member. Hopefully those trips will fall into the what went right category!

Lipripper

What went right.
I got back out fishing after not having the energy to after almost two years.
I went on a month fishing trip and brought home over 300 Crappie fillets
I'm Cancer free for just about two years now and after that what could be wrong. ;D

What went wrong.
I didn't get to fish for Bass like I would of liked too but next year look out.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

Kris

What went right this year?
I spent more time fishing than past years, even more than last year when I first retired.
Tried some new presentations, some unsuccessfully, but still tried them several times.
I tried out my Lew's TP1 baitcaster with Microwave Guides. I liked the rod so much that I bought one of the spinning rods to try out. I may do a comparison on it vs my custom built rod with Microwave Guides.
My electric reservoir rig worked flawlessly all Season. I found that it will go further than I expected at a little slower speed, 70 - 75%.
Helping my Family Friend get his golf cart motored reservoir rig ready for the Season got me the chance to fish Prettyboy Reservoir. Will probably get the chance to fish Liberty with him next year.

What went wrong this year?
Weather has been crappy most of the early Season. This affected the catching part of fishing for me but I still fished more this year than past years.
Lost what I believe would have been my personal best in Maryland this Season.
Didn't get to fish as late in the year as I thought I might.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

SteveTX

What went right this year?

• Joined UltimateBass
  • Caught a lot of bass
  • Woke up breathing every day
What went wrong this year?

• Didn't catch the big one I am looking for yet
  • Lost my Shallow Water Anchor Pin
  • My taxes

Congrats Lip on the 2 year no cancer my friend.

zippyduck

Right:
Caught more 5 lbers than any other year.  ~gf ~gf
Fished with Dobyns rods for the first time. WOW  ;D
Did well in the IBASS and club tourneys .  ~bb
Enjoyed lots of days fishing with my wife. Most important.  :)

wrong:
Lost 2 big fish in two seperate tourneys that would have got me the win. But thats quibling over the little things.
My LSCR arrived too late to fish it.  :'(
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg

What went right:

I retired on June 8th.

What went wrong:

I retired on June 8th.

The rest is gravy.

SteveTX

Quote from: zippyduck on November 18, 2017, 12:50:32 AM
My LSCR arrived too late to fish it.  :'(
No worries my friend. Just put it back in that shipping tube and send it south. Ill be fishing some more this year.  lo

zippyduck

Quote from: SteveTX on November 18, 2017, 11:10:19 PM
No worries my friend. Just put it back in that shipping tube and send it south. Ill be fishing some more this year.  lo

I still might make a day or two out this month and if we get a warm spell like last February I need to stay ready. Sorry but I'll have to keep it up here.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bud Kennedy

For me it all went right.  We got to spend a lot of time on the water, got some new reels and other tackle, got to attend the rally, the boat did not blow up and nobody got hurt.  With all of these things I would say it all went right.  At my age things going wrong is just life and tend to go away just by going fishing.  I don't like to dwell on negative things.  If I want negative then I just listen to the news.

basss

Good post.

Congrats on the boat n gear.

Good:  quite a bit new gear (worth more than my boat now), this site, duh!

Bad: the big one that got away ...
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Steve81

RIGHT:

Moved to Nebraska in March so learning new bodies of water. Obvious growing pains but was successful more often than not.
Did well in just about every tournament that I fished on these new lakes. Just barely missing the win in most of them.
Had THE BEST frog year of my life! One of my small local lake matted up right when the bluegill spawn started and that made the frog fishing incredible! Also hit other lakes during the spawn and caught lots of quality bass on frog out of docks.
Moving here finally put me on lakes with docks. This has allowed me to practice skipping; particularly with a jig and frog. Turns out that I'm halfway decent at it!

WRONG:
No matter what, I'll never feel like I get to fish enough. I know that's obvious, but it's a fact!
Tournaments! For one, I just can't seem to make that one final move that is the difference between a win and close second. On the other side of it, the biggest tournaments I fished this year were my biggest bombs. Those were the ones where I put in the most practice, had good practices, but still managed to mess it up. I can look back at them tell you exactly what I should have done differently. It's just frustrating that I can never seem to make that adjustment during the tournament.

Capt. BassinLou

My seasons run in 12 month cycles, so this will be the last month of my season for the year. As far as what went right, I feel like I have honed my skills a little better on several techniques that I enjoy fishing. I have learned to slow down and feel what the bait is doing, versus trying to cast all over the place and cover water. I have also gotten better in identifying patterns quickly and duplicating the patterns yielding me more catches before the fish switch to another pattern. Lastly, when frogging, this year I have settled into my groove a little better and missing less fish. What went wrong... I lost several key fish that appeared to have been PB's. Most trips this year I have enticed a big fish to strike, and again for some reason or another those 7+ lb fish have gotten away.  :'(

But... I feel I'm becoming more proficient at my craft and feel that the day is coming really soon where I'm going to shatter my PB.  :)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on November 15, 2017, 02:44:35 PM
There's still plenty of fishing time left in the year down here in Florida. I hope to get out some during the holidays and maybe once or twice with another UB member. Hopefully those trips will fall into the what went right category!

Mark another one off the what went right list. Okeechobee tomorrow!!  ~beer~

cortman

Great thread.

Right:
Got out fishing more than I have in years. Got on some small lakes as a break from pond fishing. Finally had a breakthrough lake fishing when a buddy and I put together a roughly 15 lb 5 fish bag (pathetic I know but we suck at lake fishing lol). Got a ton of new gear lol and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Learned a lot about reel repair and cleaning and started doing that for some people locally here. Caught my first smallmouth bass!

Wrong:
Not really anything. Lost a Jackall Gantarel which stung a bit but even then I got it for $15 instead of MSRP $40.
Didn't catch that 10 lb PB I'm chasing but that'll come eventually. :)

thebassingirl

Right:
In April I discovered a love for bass fishing that I share with my husband.
Joined UB and became a part of an amazing and supportive group of people with a lot in common and a ton of valuable things to teach me.
I have an entirely new hobby to obsess about.
I've experienced the excitement of catching a big 3# LM on a plastic bait.
Learned that I like fishing more in dock and riprap lakes than in grassy ones.
I haven't killed any of my teenagers yet.

Wrong:
Have a very loooong way to go in terms of getting comfortable with all the different rigs.
Both attempts at tournament entry have hit health-related roadblocks.
Still only using a Zebco and while I love it, I'm also conflicted about it.

Overall it's been a good year.

CONGRATS ON THE CANCER-FREE STATUS, LIP!  ~c~ :)
This ain't your daddy's Zebco

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: thebassingirl on December 05, 2017, 01:42:20 PM

Wrong:
Have a very loooong way to go in terms of getting comfortable with all the different rigs.

Overall it's been a good year.

But.... think about all the fun you are going to have while learning all these different rigs. I'm excited for you because when everything begins to click you will begin to see your approach to bass fishing a bit differently because you will have more tools in your tool box at your disposal.  :-*  Good luck next season!!

thebassingirl

Thanks Lou! I'm pretty stoked about the coming year!
This ain't your daddy's Zebco