Mustad Grip Pin Maxxx From Monster Fishing

Started by Princeton_Man, November 17, 2017, 06:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

I ordered some refills for my Trokar hook box earlier this week. Along with my order I got some samples of Mustad flip/punch hooks.

These things look really strong and sharp. Has anyone here tried them yet?

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 17, 2017, 06:17:44 AM
I ordered some refills for my Trokar hook box earlier this week. Along with my order I got some samples of Mustad flip/punch hooks.

I got a pack of those in a LTB a while ago. I've used them but I haven't caught any fish on them. So I'm no help...lol
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 17, 2017, 06:17:44 AM

Jim, the color scheme is a little odd?   lo  Did you get a box of fruity pebbles with that? 

To answer the question.  I like the Mustad flippin hooks.  I use them on my punch setup.  Any better than VMC or Gammy?  Meh....who knows. 
BeerMe

j102

I like Mustad hooks. I would like to try some of those in the 2/0-3/0 size.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 17, 2017, 06:28:50 AM
I got a pack of those in a LTB a while ago. I've used them but I haven't caught any fish on them. So I'm no help...lol

I noticed the Proud Supporter LTB logo on the packages.

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on November 17, 2017, 07:02:15 AM
Jim, the color scheme is a little odd?   lo  Did you get a box of fruity pebbles with that? 

To answer the question.  I like the Mustad flippin hooks.  I use them on my punch setup.  Any better than VMC or Gammy?  Meh....who knows. 

Thanks Joe! The rainbow packaging is a bit odd, so is the blue paint on the bait keeper. Gotta figure they probably pay some artsy marketing person to come up with promo packaging.  lo

Since I became Trokar loyal, I haven't shopped hooks in quite a while and definitely haven't seen these Mustads.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

Quote from: j102 on November 17, 2017, 07:25:44 AM
I like Mustad hooks. I would like to try some of those in the 2/0-3/0 size.

They look strong.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cport

LGBTQXYZ edition? Looks like they forgot who their target demographic is....
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

I took a black sharpie to the blue lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on November 17, 2017, 08:04:26 AM
LGBTQXYZ edition? Looks like they forgot who their target demographic is....

Actually they have the Autism awareness ribbon on the pack.
Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 17, 2017, 08:20:05 AM
Actually they have the Autism awareness ribbon on the pack.
What is that? I'm not familiar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Princeton_Man

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cport

Lol ok I see it now. I read Austin, not autism, I left my glasses at home today.

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteveTX

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on November 17, 2017, 08:46:32 AM
Lol ok I see it now. I read Austin, not autism, I left my glasses at home today.

LOL yeah its hard to read. I knew cause I remembered it from the pack I had.

Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 17, 2017, 07:31:24 AM
They look strong.

Mustad hooks are good hooks. I mostly use VMC, but these are worth a try. I have seen them at Dicks or BassPro (can't remember) and I agree, they look strong.

Mike Cork

I'm a trokar guy but for my trebles it's all Mustad. I may give them a try, they look pretty stout. I lost a good fish yesterday because I straighten a 5/0 Trokar flipping hook  :'(

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 19, 2017, 02:01:33 PM
I'm a trokar guy but for my trebles it's all Mustad. I may give them a try, they look pretty stout. I lost a good fish yesterday because I straighten a 5/0 Trokar flipping hook  :'(
Straightening a Trokar takes something special.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

That had to be a huge fish. I have heard and seen straighten hooks and it always blows my mind that fighting a bass can do that. Wow!!

Smallie_Stalker

I haven't tried those but I have used the Denny Brauer version and they are strong as hell and super sharp. And the eyes were completely sealed so there was no worries about line issues.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 19, 2017, 02:48:22 PM
Straightening a Trokar takes something special.
Like a stump.  ~roflmao  J/K

Seriously It must have been a good fish though. I use the Trokar flipping hooks as well they are stout. I bought quite a few when that had a bunch of them on sale at Dicks like 1/2 price awhile back. I've never straightened one but I have opened a couple slightly. I'm out of the 5/0 ones I've been using the 4/0 until I find some more at a decent price. The lake i've been working doesn't mats hardly at all so the jig has been my bait of choice around cover. 

I tried to find my pack of blue Autism awareness hooks since I read this thread. Guess I misplaced them in the hoards of excessive tackle I have stored in 2 different closets, under my bed, the boat, and the garage.  ~shade

SFL BassHunter

You sure it wasn't a rock?

Them rocks trick me from time to time. I set into one last week that did a number on one of my hooks. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 20, 2017, 05:35:33 AM
You sure it wasn't a rock?

Them rocks trick me from time to time. I set into one last week that did a number on one of my hooks. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear them rocks are some tough fighters.  ~roflmao

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SteveTX on November 20, 2017, 12:32:14 PM
I hear them rocks are some tough fighters.  ~roflmao

They are tough fighters and usually they win the fight.
Florida Bass Fishing

fishballer06

I lost a good fish yesterday because I straighten a 5/0 Trokar flipping hook  :'(

Yikes! I caught this guy flipping a 4/0 Trokar and no issues at all.

3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament