Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused about Spoons  (Read 518 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Confused about Spoons
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

Just what is it about spoons.  My mind thinks this is a deep water bait used mostly in a jigging fashion.  I have used various spoons during my fishing life but mostly in a casting not jigging format.  This was always a staple in Canada and of course I used them in streams.  To me a spoon is something like a daredevil or a johnson spoon.  Now as I look at Ben Parkers spoons and Nutech spoons I am wondering what are those companies recommending as far as types of presentations and under what conditions.  I am hoping that we can hear from Bo and others on my question.  It seems like this bait might be a bit more flexible than I imagine.  I also want to know why do most modern spoons seem to have a hammered finish vs a smooth or gloss finish.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Confused about Spoons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »

I know we used to skitter the weedless Jonson silver minnows with a pork trailer (dating myself)  over the grass in Back Bay and slay em.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6.31 PB 🎣

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

Bud, there are different types of spoons, casting, jigging & even trolling & how they're best used depends on the spoon. Generally the shape & weight can determine if a spoon should be cast, or jigged, but not always. I still very much like fishing with the Silver Minnows, and a pork rind trailer for bass, likely the first spoon I ever used. I've got a good number of different types of spoons, mainly used for Striped Bass fishing, and other types of saltwater, but some can easily be adapted for bass. At times, I've tossed "Salmon" spoons for bass, the very thin type usually used for trolling applications. They don't cast like a casting spoon, but work great in shallow water on light spinning gear, as the thin blade falls & flutters differently than a heavier casting spoon. I've also used "Pet" spoons for bass & other fish, a type that in an appropriate size can be cast, but is probably more popular as a trolling lure. Each type of spoons has it's own action & wobble too. Spoons like the Hopkins & Kastmaster are very popular as a casting spoon with surf anglers, yet is also be used as a jigging spoon from a boat.

I've been making a small spoon that I cast, from a Willow spinner blade. I solder a hook to it & add a dressed trailer hook. It's mainly a spoon I use for panfish, but I have made larger sizes & caught bass & even Striped Bass with them. It has a different wobble to it than other spoons, and that's really what sets each type a part IMO. Casting spoons are cast & retrieved, like you might do with a crankbait or swimjig & they have a wobble to them. They can be retrieved steady or stop & go like you might do with a jerkbait. Same with a jigging spoon, but they usually have a thinner profile & not as much built in wobble, and are usually heavier than a casting spoon, so are not really intended for steady, crankbait like retrieves. They also work best in a more vertical manner. However, like most lure types there's always exceptions what is best at any given time & place. Frankly, like a jig, there's no "wrong" way to use a spoon, but because of shape, profile, weight, etc. how you use them to the best advantage depends on all these features of a given spoon type and where you may be fishing.

Jigging spoons have been more popular with saltwater anglers than they were with bass anglers, but that has changed. Actually casting spoons can be used for jigging, and some types of jigging spoons work well casting them, so I can see how it all can be very confusing.

I'm sure Bo will add a lot to this discussion & give you some informative answers to your question.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:22:45 AM »

I use the Dixie Jets.  For me, the flutter spoon is for casting to suspended fish. I count it down and give it a couple pops working it back to the boat. I do pitch it around docks on occasion but it's a slower fall with more side to side action than the slab spoon.
 The Dixie Jet slab I use for vertical jigging and pitching in boat stalls ,  It makes a couple swipes side to side and then heads down in a hurry .

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »

I've used the Silver Minnow in grass, even heavy grass with good results. Bass can and do suspend in open spots in grass and a spoon works through the grass and these spots quite well without hanging up.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »

A great way to use a standard jigging spoon is to cast it. It casts a mile and is worked with a quick jerk and drop retrieve. It's a very erratic action that draws reaction bites. It works even better with a slab spoon. This spoon has the same weight but is a lot wider and a little thinner. The wider spoon is even more erratic when cast and will also double as a jigging spoon. I've gotten away from other spoons except for the Johnson Silver minnow and the large Dare Devil. Both of which are specialty baits for me and seldom used.

Wizard

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

The slab spoon is actually the narrower of the two.. The Flutter spoon is wider has some cup and is made of brass vs lead for the slab.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »

The jigging spoons I use are Hopkins style. Long slightly narrower near the line tie and slightly wider near the hook. The slab spoon is shaped like a football that is flattened. There is a tip on each end where the line tie or hook is placed.  Both have no cupping and are made of LEAD. The flutter spoon is brass, wider than the other two and flutters down slower than either the Hopkins or slab spoon. I've made a lot of them over the years. Folks don't realize that these spoons can be used pretty shallow if no cover is around. As I've said in other threads, in the right spot, spoons are the fastest way to fill a livewell. The Bomber slab spoon is the slab spoon I copied to make my own spoons.

Wizard
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:56:09 AM by Wizard »

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »

Wizard, Just what are the "right" spots?  and what is your take on the new NuTech spoons made of zinc

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »

Right spots are channel swings, humps, points with current flowing and anytime bass are relating to the bottom or near the bottom with forage. If you fish a point, cast it spoon and jerk and drop it. At the right speed, it will follow the contour of the point to deep water.

Bud, I'll be in Charleston for a nephew's wedding in April. We thought we might stay a couple of weeks, then a couple near Savannah and finally visit friends on the John's River system in Florida. All based on my continued better health.

Wizard

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »

Hopefully while you are here we can get together for a lunch or something.  I had received you e mail of a couple weeks ago and penciled it into my calendar.  Hope everything works out.  April is such an ideal time to be in SC

WRB

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »

Spoons are the oldest lure used by indigenous people around the world made of shells with bone hooks.
Surface weedless spoon, Hawaiian Wiggler #3 was my first bass lure back in '55 that I learned to cast and fish for bass from shore.
Johnson Silver Minnow is still popular today and still has the dullest hook imaginable, it must be sharpened before using.
Jigging spoons fish somewhat vertical or straight down are the spoons I used year around anytime Shad schools are the prey source bass are feeding on. Again hooks are critical with spoons so upgrade them. I use Owner treble hooks with white/chartreuse chicken feathers to dress them. Checked feathers do not affect the structure spoons action while adding color and movement.
Jigging spoons are a boat presentation using sonar and or birds to located Shad bait schools, determine the depth and work the spoon through the bait. If the bait school is down 30' for example you can drop the spoon straight down watching feeling for the spoon to stop falling indicating a fish has it, lift and reel.
You see the spoon fall and fish looking at the right side bar real time sonar returns, the scrolled sonar is a history so you miss seeing real time data.
Another technique using jigging spoons is making a lob cast a little further than the depth the bass is at and let it fall on controlled slack swinging back towards you, same strike indicator the spoon stops sinking. Once the spoon has fallen through the bait, then lift the rod tip up a few feet and let the spoon fall back down on some controlled slack so it can do it's action on the fall.
The key to hooking and landing deep structure school bass is using the right rod similar to crankbaits because of the treble hook tends to tear out using too stiff or fast action rods.
Typical spoons for jigging are Hopkins shorty, Acme Kastmaster, Luhr Jensen Crippled herring and any heavy body spoon between 1/2 to 1 oz that has a Shad profile and coloration.
Flutter spoons are very popular today, these big 4" to 8" spoons made popular for bass fish by Lake Fork Tackle and Nichols. Flutter spoons are cast and retrieve lure using a jerk and jigging retrieve through the bait schools.
Hope this helps to understand spoons.
Tom
PS, Bo has a zinc structure spoon on TW and P-Line has copied my favorite 3/4 oz spoon now called Lazer spoon, original was Megabait.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:28:09 PM by WRB »

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:45 AM »

for deep water fishing, spoons have been basically two types, the flutter spoon, or shoe spoon, and a jigging spoon.

both basically flip flop or wobble back to the bottom.  more folks will actually cast the flutter spoon, but vertically fish the jigging spoon.

the NuTech ZincSpoon actually has a very unique random fall as it will several different ways on the same decent.  i have fished with this spoon since back in the late 70's and really have never found any other spoon that can be fished for both applications, and it out produces in the catching better arena.

the unique thing to using zinc is that is has a very distinctive ring when it hits bottom, and when it shimmies while falling as the split rings rattle in the holes. 

the ZincSpoons come in three powder paint colors - chrome, white, and chartreuse.  i have found that these three colors will cover any water color and amount of sunlight situation.  many folks raise their eyebrows when you put on a chartreuse spoon in gin clear water and full sunshine.  all i know is that there are days that chartreuse will just catch the tar out of them and they will not touch chrome or white.

for shallow fishing in vegetation, a flutter type spoon is best because of the action as it is just cranked along.  spoons such as the silver minnow and moss boss come to mind right off.  frogs seem to be the rage now, but weedless spoons will still whack them.

the lowly spoon ranks right up there with the lowly jig.  never leave home without them.  they are the best fishing tools to have with you.

bo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.