Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Okeechobee 11/18/17 Slims  (Read 352 times)

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
Lake Okeechobee 11/18/17 Slims
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »

Conditions:
Sunny Blue Bird skies
Winds: North 5-10mph and East 5-10mph in the afternoon
Water Temps: 72-76 degrees
Outside temps: Upper 60's a.m.- upper 70's p.m.
Water clarity: dirty in some areas clear on others. Best visibility was around 4ft.

I had the pleasure to meet up with Thomas, (aka: WEST) today. We met up at Slims and launched a hair after safe light at 645am. We made a quick run to the first cut and fished an area I like to call my warm up spot. Unfortunately all we did in this area was warm up because 0 fish were around.

We decided to move after a half hour and ran to a favorite area of mine in the third cut that consists of an expansive pad field. When we arrived you can hear what I like to call rice crispies. Which means blue gill or some other pan fish were feeding and the bass were sporadically feeding. Shortly after, we boated our first fish, it slammed a frog, swimming along the pads. We managed to boat around 4 fish in this area until we decided to run closer to the lake and try our chances in another pad field.
After a 15 min run, we reached the pad field and the fishing got a bit challenging. We managed to boat a couple of more fish but we lost more than what we caught.

We moved again to the fringes of the Lake and after a while the fish were non existent in this area as well. Since time was running out West and I talked it over and we decided to return to the 1st cut where the water was cleaner. Arrived, and again, fish were shut down. On a hail Mary we decided to run back to the area where we caught fish in the morning. When we arrived, right on cue the fish began to hit again. In the last hour of our outing we managed to catch 5 more fish. We called the trip at 3:30pm since West had to make it home by a certain time.

The day in perspective: WEST, I had a blast fishing with you today. My face is sore from laughing so much.
The fishing was productive, but the hits were very sporadic. The bright skies had the bass holding in cover. The frog and soft plastics fished on top, yielded the most strikes. The blow ups were aggressive and you had to keep focused due to the sudden explosions.  All in all we had a productive and fun trip today. :)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:21:22 PM by Bassinlou »
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
Re: Lake Okeechobee 11/18/17 Slims
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »

Nice job fellas! It looked like a great day to be out there on the lake!

big g

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

Nice job guys.  I'm glad mother nature cooperated and you had perfect weather. ~c~
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »

Nice catches! Looks like a decent frog bite. The albino frog does it again.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

j102

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »

Awesome!

Adam

• Ultimate Basser
  • Davenport, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »

Nice!

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »

Lou pretty much summed it up! Had a blast as always! Here are a few pictures I had from the day.  Last picture was a manatee we encountered

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »

~c~ Sounds like a great time.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

Thanks for the pictures and report Lou and West and sounds like y'all had a great day. Caught some fish and had fun together that's what it's all about.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

Thanks guys, fortunately the bass showed a little kink in their armor yesterday and provided us with a clue providing us with a  fighting chance to land a few. Although I mentioned I was using the frog primarily yesterday, I just briefly mentioned how I was fishing it.

Some time ago I watched a video from the Master of Frog Fishing, Dean Rojas, and he described one of the techniques he uses to fish large pad fields just like the one you see in the pic below. He actually swims his HB frog similar to how a toad a fished. Obviously you don't get the kicking and sputtering action of a toad, but you do get a unique and enticing displacement of water. Throw in a little wrist action and you can make the HB porpoise and displace even more water. I like this technique because I can cover ALOT of water quickly and in a short period of time.

When using this method of swimming a HB frog, the bass show themselves in 3 ways. 1. The fish will suddenly explode on the frog, which I like to call a land mine strike. 2. You will see the bumping of pads as the fish makes its way to the frog. And lastly, 3. What WEST coined "The Jaws" strike. This is where you see the wake of the fish hauling  ^-^ towards your frog. If you see it in time, you can actually count down the time to impact on the frog...  lo

Anyways, I know I rambled on this post, but as you guys know, I LOVE fishing the frog, and there is so many ways to fish this lure and coax bass to strike it. Hope the info helps someone.   :-*
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:26:58 AM by Bassinlou »

Deadeye

• Ultimate Basser
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »

Sounds like  great outing. Glad you got on fish.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »

Thanks for the info Lou. I've used the swim the frog technique at TP a few times. I've had a few strikes on it like that.

The jaws strike though you can count down, every once and a while the fish will deviate from the script. This happened to me with the sprinker frog I put together and lost on hookset of this big bass. The fish came up behind the frog like jaws revealing its big back and I was just waiting as it closed in then suddenly it disappeared and I thought crap it's not gonna strike. Then all hell broke loose the fish resurfaced from the side of the moving frog instead of attacking from its original trajectory.

Those strikes are crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »

Thanks for the info Lou. I've used the swim the frog technique at TP a few times. I've had a few strikes on it like that.

The jaws strike though you can count down, every once and a while the fish will deviate from the script. This happened to me with the sprinker frog I put together and lost on hookset of this big bass. The fish came up behind the frog like jaws revealing its big back and I was just waiting as it closed in then suddenly it disappeared and I thought crap it's not gonna strike. Then all hell broke loose the fish resurfaced from the side of the moving frog instead of attacking from its original trajectory.

Those strikes are crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You gotta love the deviation from script strike. Those can be fun and exciting as well.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

It's been so long since I've been able to walk the bank and go frog fishing  :'( but this winter I'm re-stocking up my frog box's and next spring I've made up my mind I'm going to figure out someway and some place I can get to a pad and weed filled pond or lake to once again feel the thrill of the explosion  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »

It's been so long since I've been able to walk the bank and go frog fishing  :'( but this winter I'm re-stocking up my frog box's and next spring I've made up my mind I'm going to figure out someway and some place I can get to a pad and weed filled pond or lake to once again feel the thrill of the explosion  ~bb
Go for it Lip!! Seeing that blow up on your frog will give you a well deserved jolt for frog fishing again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.