Lake O with another UB member

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 18, 2017, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I had the pleasure to meet up with WEST today and fish Lake Okeechobee with him. If anyone ever has an opportunity to fish with a fellow UB member, do it!  We had a blast and the fishing wasn't too bad either.  :) It was a froggy type of day so I had to do what I had to do to catch me some froggin bass. :)

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bassinkorea

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FloridaFishinFool

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Lipripper

Nice looking fish and can't wait to get my new frogs wet next year.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the pictures with us also  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

zippyduck

Thanks for bringing the fun back to us. That souds like a fun day.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks guys, in the FL boards we provide reports of our outings so that we may all learn from each other. Below, I would like to share a tid bit of information I shared with the FL guys in regards to frog fishing and although I know many of you are beginning to experience the winter, hopefully you remember this tip in the Spring when you return to bass fishing.

Fortunately the bass showed a little kink in their armor yesterday and provided us with a clue giving us   fighting chance to land a few. Although I mentioned I was using the frog primarily yesterday, I just briefly mentioned how I was fishing it.

Some time ago I watched a video from the Master of Frog Fishing, Dean Rojas, and he described one of the techniques he uses to fish large pad fields just like the one you see in the pic below. He actually swims his HB frog similar to how a toad a fished. Obviously you don't get the kicking and sputtering action of a toad, but you do get a unique and enticing displacement of water. Throw in a little wrist action and you can make the HB porpoise and displace even more water. I like this technique because I can cover ALOT of water quickly and in a short period of time.

When using this method of swimming a HB frog, the bass show themselves in 3 ways. 1. The fish will suddenly explode on the frog, which I like to call a land mine strike. 2. You will see the bumping of pads as the fish makes its way to the frog. And lastly, 3. What WEST coined "The Jaws" strike. This is where you see the wake of the fish hauling  ^-^ towards your frog. If you see it in time, you can actually count down the time to impact on the frog...  lo

Anyways, I know I rambled on this post, but as you guys know, I LOVE fishing the frog, and there are so many ways to fish this lure and coax bass to strike it. Hope the info helps someone.   :-*

merc1997

On Heaven's Lake

zippyduck

Thanks Lou for the info and I will be trying that next year.

Pacific NW Ron

Nice fish, and thanks for sharing the adventure.  If I ever get down to Florida there are a few of you guys I plan on contacting and Lou you're one of them.  This year I concentrated more on a frog then I ever have in the past.  Like you said in the one post I found several different ways to fish them, and all work.   I'd love to fish with you for a day and learn frogging from someone that knows how.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on November 19, 2017, 09:00:27 AM
Nice fish, and thanks for sharing the adventure.  If I ever get down to Florida there are a few of you guys I plan on contacting and Lou you.  This year I concentrated more on a frog then I ever have in the past.  Like you said in the one post I found several different ways to fish them, and all work.   I'd love to fish with you for a day and learn frogging from someone that knows how.
Ron
Thank you Ron. When you find your way to South FL,  let me know. :)

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Lovin' it. The Big-O is way high on my list of things to do before I die.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

We need to have a rally on the Big-O.