Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worm Gear Bearing(s) question?  (Read 286 times)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Worm Gear Bearing(s) question?
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

For you reel fanatics that like to sup up a reel.

Many quality reels don't have worm gear bearings, when you start hitting the $250 plus price range reels start coming with one or two worm gear bearings. Some Lews in the $150 price range have one.

I get that worm gear bearing(s) can make a reel retrieve feel smoother. However I've personally never noticed that much difference. I've never bothered with worm gear bearings in my reels because, with the exception of ABU round reels the worm gear doesn't move doing casts and has no high speed function.

So my question is, agreeing that a bearing can create smother operation of the worm gear, if one is good is two that much better?
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Worm Gear Bearing(s) question?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »

I've done them on my Chronarch MGL's but haven't really noticed a difference, probably because these reels are already so smooth to begin with.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »

They are a nice touch, but also keep in mind that a lot of the water that gets inside of a reel goes through the worm gear especially when using braid.

I recently repaired a broke Daiwa tatula and the failure was due to water that had gone inside the reel and corroded up the frame right around the worm gear housing and worm gear right where the bushing and bearing are located.

So if enough water can get in that way to corrode the frame, imagine what that would do to some bearings in there.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:12:51 PM by FloridaFishinFool »
In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »

Mike, here's my take...
I'll lead off by saying, I've got OCD pretty bad, but I've learned how to (mostly) control it over the years.
I dated a young woman once who dumped me because of it. That was back when it was REAL bad. I was sitting in her living room twiddling my thumbs while she'd gone out to run an errand. She was an art major at MSU in Starkville MS. On her wall was a haphazard row of pictures. Every frame was hung at a different height, different spacing between each of them, each frame cocked at a different angle, each photo in each frame was fitted at a different angle.
It was supposed to be "artistic".
It was absolute effing chaos and I can't begin to describe the anxiety it was causing me.
So I fixed it.
She came in, took one look at the newly perfectly level row of evenly spaced frames, and told me to get out and never come back.
"But... but... I FIXED it..."

Some of my OCD tendencies are still extremely strong. I need symmetry.
I have to replace a tire, I replace the one opposite to it. Headlight went out? I replace them both. Step in mud with one foot, I'll step in mud with the other so that I have mud on both shoes. Ceiling fan has 5 blades? Oh hell no, that's gotta go!
There are some things that are obviously out of my control. I've learned to cope with those I have to, and walk away from those I don't.
It's always been great fun for my youngest son to sneak into my room and scramble my sock drawer.
At least, great fun for him. Drives me absolutely bat chit. You can NOT let the boot socks and athletic socks intermingle, the boxers are not allowed to consort with the jockey shorts, and the handkerchiefs MUST be folded neatly in their own little stacks along the back of the drawer, not jumbled around under the socks and skivvies.
My dresser drawers are the one thing I have absolute control over. Until that little turd decides to screw with my head for a laugh.

If I have a bearing on one end of my worm gear, you'd damn well better believe there's one on the other end too!
I doubt I'd ever notice the difference between one vs two, but I'm not leaving one end supported by a bushing while the other gets a bearing. That's just pure bred insanity right there. No telling what might happen, might cause the universe to implode. Reality might start tearing apart at the seams. Can't have that! It's bad juju.

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »

I recently repaired a broke Daiwa tatula and the failure was due to water that had gone inside the reel and corroded up the frame right around the worm gear housing and worm gear right where the bushing and bearing are located.

So if enough water can get in that way to corrode the frame, imagine what that would do to some bearings in there.

Was this reel being used in saltwater?

SteelHorseCowboy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »

I don't remember seeing him mention it in his "Reel Chronicles" thread, assuming he's even talking about the same one. But it seems he gets quite a few that aren't maintained after saltwater use.

Also consider this: Do you take your car/truck to a mechanic if it doesn't need any repairs? I'd guess probably just for regular service, unless you're a DIYer like myself.
It seems most/all of the reels in "Reel Chronicles" that actually need fixing, have been abused, neglected, or even freaking SHOT.

Preventative maintenance goes a long way towards longevity. Guessing you know that just based on the fact that you asked about saltwater.
I kept a Ford 2.9 V6 Cologne ticking for a little over 450,000 miles.

Pro Reel

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »

I have only found it to help with abu round reels where the guide moves during the cast. The only benefit I have seen with normal reels is that the reel won't develop worm gear play from a worn bushing on the guide tube. Of course the trade off is bearings that will need replaced. Might as well replace a guide tube instead of bearings.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

I believe it had been. Salt tends to be the corrosive agent, but bearings will rust with contact with freshwater too.
In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 36 queries.