Lurker just swimming around...

Started by CouchTater, November 20, 2017, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CouchTater

Not really a new member, but it's been a long time since I've been hanging out here. Lot's of new names on the forums and some old names I remember as I scroll through. Some of you might remember me, some may not.

I've come back to UB because I've been out of fishing for way too long. I'm a single dad with three girls, been raising them since Jan. 2008 on my own. I tried to keep fishing as much as I could but with the girls being so little it got to be more of a chore to find a sitter rather than take them with me. My boat was small only 14' so it was tough corralling all three girls in there.

Life happens and kids grow up. We've been playing basketball for the past five-six years on a steady basis. That keeps us busy, but my oldest will be 16 next year and I am hoping that will mean Dad can sneak out to the TN River after work! You don't know how bad it kills me to cross that river twice a day for the past four years and not get to fish lol.

Not getting to fish was really depressing to be honest. Something I had done so much of since I was a kid to doing none at all for years was tough. Then I lost my best friend and fishing buddy on Sept 30th to suicide. It hit me hard, all my friend wanted to do was go fishing with me but I was always too busy to go or the girls had something we had to go to. Every time I saw my boat sitting in the garage it brought back memories of my best friend and our fishing trips. If I was fishing 9 times of out 10 he was with me.

With that being said I sold my boat back in October of 2016. I had owned it since '02 and hated seeing it deteriorate from not being used. So I'm wanting to get a bigger boat soon and replenish my fishing gear since I sold it all except for a couple boxes of lures. That along with two fish that my friend had mounted are all that remain of my fishing years.

I plan on getting back into it, sure do miss feeling that tug on the line and getting bass thumb!  Hopefully this spring if the girls don't play softball!!  ~roflmao

@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Lipripper

I know you remember me  lo lo Good to see you back on here Eric and your doing a great job raising up them 3 fine young ladies  ~c~ ~c~ I know you miss fishing and hope you can get back into it again. Hope you haven't forgot how.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

CouchTater

Haven't forgot Lip, they say it's like riding a bike lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

analfisherman

Eric, being a parent is rough.
Being a single parent.......well you know the story.

I raised my son on my own.

I don't know you, BUT you have my total respect!  ~c~

You have taken parenting to the level a lot of 2 parent families don't.

Now for the good news.  ;)
Once you slowly get back into the fishing game you are going to find a new 'best fishing partner' and the memeries will follow rapidly.
Heck, one of those fine young ladies may become 'that partner'!  ;D

Shorebusting isn't all that bad and we even have a 'forum' dedicated to Bank Fishing.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?board=560.0

Have fun, enjoy the girls and WELCOME BACK!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

bigjim5589

Eric, Welcome back!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I remember you! Hey, life gets in the way of things we want to do, but sounds like you have your priorities in the right place with taking care of your girls. I drove a tractor trailer for 28 years and missed a lot of things with my family & with fishing & hunting, but did what I had to do. IMO, you made the right choice.

My kids are all grown & on their own now & I still don't get to fish as much as I would like.  lo

Jump on in as you can I'm sure you'll get back in the groove in no time!  ~gf

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

CouchTater

My girls attend a small Christian Academy and their athletic program is starting to take off. There has been talk of a bass fishing team starting up. Wouldn't mind being a Captain just gotta find another boat lol. The school is hoping to have the fishing program in place next year.

The girls basketball program is really taking off and they have a strong group of players. For now my oldest and middle daughters are content with basketball. One is a Freshman and the other is an eighth grader but they both play Jr High and Varsity so our time is consumed by b-ball right now.
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Smallie_Stalker

Welcome back home Eric.  ~c~

Life has a habit of getting in the way every now and then. Don't ask me how I know.  ~shade ::)

Congrats on stepping up and being a responsible dad. That doesn't always happen these days. Sounds like you are doing a great job of raising those girls and I hope that you can find your way back to wetting a line really soon.

While you are getting reacquainted with the site don't hesitate to give me or any other staff member a holler if you need a hand with anything  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

Eric, I am sorry to hear of your loss, our fishing buddies are our extended family and it hurts.

Great to see working your way back in the game. Many Kudos to you for putting your girls first, you're an awesome dad!!!

But it does sound like your time is finally coming around.

I am looking forward to having you around the site again, you always had great information to share ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Hey Eric, welcome back ~c~  Sorry for the lost of your friend.  Great job on setting the priorities with your girls ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~shade  They'll remember that down the road.  Looking forward to your postings again.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Polaris425

Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

SteveTX

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club