More Fun

Started by D.W. Verts, November 20, 2017, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

You know, it's amazing to me. I used to fish upwards of 200 days a year, both at home and in six other states. I made a living for several years chasin' little green fish. Now that I'm back to fishin', I'm getting a kick at how serious I'm taking this stuff, even the pond fishin' like I did again this evening. It's like every cast is my last.

Today should have been easy. Although the water is startin' to cool down (I'm guessing very low fifties?), the sun was out (although bluebird skies), and it was sixty degrees, and the bite for me was incredibly tough. I fished the same channel edge and dam of this pond like I did the other day for an hour and-a-half, with just one fish landed, and a couple other bites.

The wind was blowing (again) 30-35 m.p.h, and very gusty, making my presentations and feeling bites tricky. I was mostly dragging a Hula Grub again- I tried several different colors, but just couldn't get the trigger pulled.

Again, I'm amazed at how hard I pushed it, just fishin' a POND. But here you are- and right THERE is where the fish are. They can't be anywhere else. So I'm hard-headed and just can't give it up.

Finally, with it getting late, I drove back across the dam to the North, and flat, side of this pond. The wind had been pounding it all day- a good plan in warmer water, but not always good when the water starts to get cool.

Oh well... I abandoned the bottom draggin', and started throwin' a 4" Grub in a sort of "Bluegill" color on a 1/8 ounce head, and there ya go. I started catchin' fish immediately. Now these things weren't on the bank- most were a fairly good toss, and most were either suspended (why?) or maybe they just came up off the bottom to tag the bait before it made it all the way down, in about 7-9 feet of water. It made for a tricky bite, what with the wind rippin' around.

But it's the CHALLENGE that I'm diggin'. I went from a one-fish day to catching 10-12 fish in less than half an hour. I know it "just a pond", but I feel like I'm fourteen again and still learning something new every trip out. Very cool.

The fish were decent too- very few real dinks. Most of 'em were pushing the three-pound mark. And here ya go- I'm thinkin' to myself, "Self- you gotta catch one good 'un for UB". So I did- the one in the last pic weighed maybe 5-1/2 pounds.

I hope that I can keep this enthusiasm going when I get my bass boat project on the water this winter. But I'll always have my fall-back plan in the ten or twelve ponds and small lakes that I'll continue to fish, you know- the ones with the "easy" fishin'.

Thanks for lookin'.

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

Thanks for the story and pics. Something about ponds that brings  out the kid in all of us.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

Cool deal. Glad you caught some. I hate fighting the wind when its up that high.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: zippyduck on November 21, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
Thanks for the story and pics. Something about ponds that brings  out the kid in all of us.

Ponds and small private lakes. Haven't fished any in quite a while and I miss them. Even when it was bad, the fishin' was good.  ;D

Nice hawgs DW! ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Thanks for the story and the  ;PHO) DW and nice looking fish. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Good story, information and nice fish.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

basss

Nice fish and good report. thanks.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Smallie_Stalker

Nice piggies there Dale.  ~c~  I love pond fishing. Some of my biggest fish have come from the smallest bodies of water.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Man, boys and girls. I went again today and about froze my Flippin' Stik off. It was 50 degrees, with about a thousand mile-an-hour North wind as a small front moved through. I have enough Southern Boy in me for that to be CHILLY.

I  caught a few, and one just short of four pounds, but the bites were very soft, and the wind made it crazy to feel the fish. So to heck with what I posted above- my "learning/training" curve didn't advance much today. Still, after I got home and warmed up some, and my right hand quit hurtin' (man, I'm gettin' SOFT) it still was fun.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

SteveTX

You only get one "Flippin' Stik" be careful or you may have to join the LBGQTSYZX or what ever it is with no stik.  ~roflmao

D.W. Verts

Quote from: SteveTX on November 21, 2017, 09:49:53 PM
You only get one "Flippin' Stik" be careful or you may have to join the LBGQTSYZX or what ever it is with no stik.  ~roflmao

!!!

Mike Cork

I don't get to but once a year but I love fishing ponds. Cut my teeth in a ten foot John Boat and ponds!

Dobyns Rods - "when fishing is more than a hobby"

Monster Fishing Tackle - Mister Twister

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service