Fly in Fridge. What to do???

Started by Pacific NW Ron, November 22, 2017, 10:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

So, we had a record breaking warm day today.  All of a sudden this morning they was a big old fat fly (about the size of a small horse fly) flying around the house.  What is this thing doing flying around the house in the middle of winter.  We chased it around the house off and on all day.  Never could get it.  This evening my wife goes to get some thing out of the refrigerator and for some reason that stupid fly decides he wants in the fridge and she closes the door on him.  Now we have a fly in there for breakfast? 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

D.W. Verts

Cook it in bacon grease. Delicious!
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

coldfront

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on November 22, 2017, 10:52:13 PM
So, we had a record breaking warm day today.  All of a sudden this morning they was a big old fat fly (about the size of a small horse fly) flying around the house.  What is this thing doing flying around the house in the middle of winter.  We chased it around the house off and on all day.  Never could get it.  This evening my wife goes to get some thing out of the refrigerator and for some reason that stupid fly decides he wants in the fridge and she closes the door on him.  Now we have a fly in there for breakfast? 
Ron

google what happens to flys/insects at 38°F (refrigeration temps).  you'll be okay.

Thornback

Put it on a hook and do some fly fishing.

Lipripper

Ron you mean you couldn't do this   lo lo coldfront is right after being in that cold fridge you should be able to get it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Lipripper on November 23, 2017, 08:22:40 AM
Ron you mean you couldn't do this   lo lo coldfront is right after being in that cold fridge you should be able to get it.  ;D

~roflmao
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 22, 2017, 11:02:54 PM
Cook it in bacon grease. Delicious!

I need more then one to make a meal.  Maybe I'll freeze it till spring when I can get more. :-\
Ron

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on November 23, 2017, 08:22:40 AMcoldfront is right after being in that cold fridge you should be able to get it.  ;D

brings up an interesting (to me) bit of biological science.

flies have compound eyes.  not real good for seeing fine detail, but excellent for detecting  motion.

on top of that, they're 'hard wired' to move away from motion.

so, if  you've ever tried to grab a fly with one hand (can be done, with difficulty grasshopper) it's amazing how easy it is to 'get them' when you use both hands and come at them from opposite sides.

like clapping.

in that situation two hard wired eyes are signalling the fly to move in opposite directions.  they jump up and 'freeze'.  easy, easy, easy.

kind of gross. 

hardest way of all to catch/kill flies is with chopsticks.

~roflmao

D.W. Verts

By law, we can't have a fly swatter in our restaurant (yeah, right). So when I get a nuisance fly (aren't they all?) I do the CLAP on 'em. Folks are amazed at my speed and dexterity...

Then I go wash my hands.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

SteveTX

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 23, 2017, 09:24:59 AM
By law, we can't have a fly swatter in our restaurant (yeah, right).
Can we get a law that for those who want to make a law about everything. It should read something like,"for those who want to make a law about everything, and do I mean everything, no matter how stupid the law. You are no longer allowed to breath." Yeah thats right you might expel a germ that could potentially kill someone. Or you may cough getting a innocent person sick. I know its a inconvenience but really please stop breathing.  ~roflmao   

I recon Id just clean the fly out once he succumbed to the cold. Then do a little cleaning in the frig with some disinfectant. 

Lipripper

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 23, 2017, 09:24:59 AM
By law, we can't have a fly swatter in our restaurant (yeah, right). So when I get a nuisance fly (aren't they all?) I do the CLAP on 'em. Folks are amazed at my speed and dexterity...

Then I go wash my hands.
Have you seen that thing about putting pennies in a baggie with water in it will keep the flies out of an area?

D.W. Verts

Amen SteveTX... AMEN!

No 'ripper, I haven't. I'll look into it.

The only good fly is a dead one. I can't STAND them in a restaurant, especially MINE. No fly swatters allowed- incredibly stupid.

Lipripper

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 23, 2017, 10:03:01 AM
Amen SteveTX... AMEN!

No 'ripper, I haven't. I'll look into it.

The only good fly is a dead one. I can't STAND them in a restaurant, especially MINE. No fly swatters allowed- incredibly stupid.
Your right that is a stupid rule . I guess you can't hang fly strips to catch them either . lo lo

Lipripper

Here is a link to just one article I found and I have seen some posted on Face Book before also.

Keep Flies Away with Water and Pennies

bigjim5589

I have refrigerator in my garage that we keep drinks & some other things that aren't used often in the kitchen, and some meats in the freezer section.

Flies & other insects are always around the garage, and occasionally birds, toads & lizards get in there.

I didn't see it go in, but the other day I saw a big ole fly laying on one of the shelves in there and was very dead. Yeah, they don't handle the cold too well!  lo

Flies are a nuisance, they do serve a purpose, but no know likes them around. They can adapt too like most animals. Many years ago when I worked in road construction, we were setting up a used pre-fab building at our blacktop plant for the lab & inspectors in the winter while we were not doing any paving. In the process we had to move some walls & fix some of the paneling on the existing walls. We found hundreds of flies behind the paneling, some dead, but most alive. I guess they got in there between the panels & insulation thru any small opening they could to keep from dying when it started getting colder & the building wasn't heated at that point. I think we used a whole case of Raid in there.  ;)

Nature is amazing, even those annoying flies!  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteveTX on November 23, 2017, 09:48:45 AM
Can we get a law that for those who want to make a law about everything. It should read something like,"for those who want to make a law about everything, and do I mean everything, no matter how stupid the law. You are no longer allowed to breath." Yeah thats right you might expel a germ that could potentially kill someone. Or you may cough getting a innocent person sick. I know its a inconvenience but really please stop breathing.  ~roflmao   

I recon Id just clean the fly out once he succumbed to the cold. Then do a little cleaning in the frig with some disinfectant.
That law is on the books, it's called the vote folks are just to stupid to vote the idiots out of office!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.