Super Duty finish

Started by SteveTX, November 24, 2017, 06:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

OK just came in from fishing and was excited to see a Cabellas box on my doorstep.  ~c~

So I opened the brown box with my fishing friend close by excited to see it. Once inside we see a Lew's box that the top was open on? Anyway took that box out and opened it up and the reel was there under the normal paperwork. As I hold the reel and start looking at it I notice the reels finish is less than consistent.

I completely understand that it explains
Quoteleft sideplate that are covered with Soft Touch rubber paint for a sure grip.
but this reel has different looks to it on both sides. I am not familiar with this finish as I have never had one with Soft Touch rubber paint so I am not sure if this is what they look like normally. 

I'm going to share some pictures and get you guys opinion on this. I am no expert photographer by any means but just remember this reel is brand new out of the box. These are not finger prints or anything I have put on the reel.

Just my impression I am not happy at all even if this is normal the finish almost looks used to me. Am I making a big deal over nothing? What would you do? return it? complain? keep it?

Captsteve

looks used to me. I would send it back!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Capt. BassinLou

Send that back ASAP.  That's a used reel. There has been a mix up somewhere in this situation. :(

Princeton_Man

^^^^
What they said. Send it back.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

kadas

Agree with everyone--that sure looks like a used reel and you need to return it

RKent

Definitely used. I would send it back. I have one on order as well.

SteveTX

Yeah I agree I was so excited but now  :( 
I'm wondering what they are going to offer since they showed to be out of them long ago. Im thinking I am about to lose out on the deal as I bet they just refund my $.  ^-^

SFL BassHunter

For sure that has been used. I have held the Lews with the grip touch whatever they call it and they do not look like that.

That's a shame that you might loose out on a good deal. But I would contact them ASAP and hopefully they will still have one in stock for you. What a bummer.
If they don't send you a replacement reel and try to offer you just your money back I would try and at least get a coupon code for a future purchase for your troubles of missing out on a heck of a good deal due to their mistake.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Quote from: rickdelprado on November 24, 2017, 08:15:37 PM
For sure that has been used. I have held the Lews with the grip touch whatever they call it and they do not look like that.

That's a shame that you might loose out on a good deal. But I would contact them ASAP and hopefully they will still have one in stock for you. What a bummer.
If they don't send you a replacement reel and try to offer you just your money back I would try and at least get a coupon code for a future purchase for your troubles of missing out on a heck of a good deal due to their mistake.
Yeah I have been on the waiting list for the live chat since I posted at 7:54. It says I'm number 12 in queue now. I am going to try and manage some sort of deal. If they cant send me another reel I am going to see if I can manage to get a coupon or something.

Heck I would keep this reel too if they would take considerably less. It really looks crappy but seems perfectly fine mechanically just playing with it. All their going to do is end up in some cut rate sale bin for $50 after it gets bounced around across the country and another $15 is spent on it shipping it everywhere.   

SteveTX

Just offered me $20 if I keep it. Hmmm

SteveTX

Well that worked out well.
After showing the same pics I showed you guys I was offered $20 gift card.
I paused and thought hmmm I might keep it for a $40 card. So I asked if that was the best he could do. We haggled about the reel being a older model (it is they were new in 2013) the "G" model has replaced it this year. And eventually it ended up they offered me a $35 gift card and he said," The gift card is only for the cosmetic problems. If you have other issues with the mechanics, you can return it for 90 days from the purchase date, or contact the Manufacturer for additional options." Basically I cant complain about the scuffs or appearance per say but the mechanical is still covered. 

Needless to say I took the $35 gift card and kept the reel. I just got my reel for $73.24 after taxes and all.

Did I screw up?

SteelHorseCowboy

I'd tell 'em to kiss my pasty white ass. Then I'd insist they exchange it for one that actually fits the description of what I paid for.

SFL BassHunter

If you're happy with it then you didn't screw up. You're ultimately the one that's got to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Captsteve

sounds pretty good to me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Capt. BassinLou

Steve at the end of the day it's your call. If you feel LEWS  has accommodated you, then congrats and enjoy the reel. But... if that voice inside you is saying otherwise, have Cabelas fix this mistake.

SteveTX

I think I did OK. I was just curious what you guys would have done.

I still have $35 plus any sale to pick up another reel.

If I had seen this reel in a bargain bin for what I have in it I would have bought it.

Mechanically there is nothing that I can find wrong with the reel. No bent or parts missing everything is tight and the warranty is all there if there is a mechanical issue.

This will make one awesome reel for the truck to carry around if nothing else. I've paid more for way less reel when it comes to the meat of the reel.

Thanks for the opinions fellas.  :)

Capt. BassinLou

SteelHorseCowboy

Well if you're happy with it, that's what matters I reckon. I also wrote that post before seeing the $35 gift card. I might be swayed to keep it too!

caddyjoe77

hmm...I would have probably wanted them to ship me the right reel.  But, if you are happy with the reel, thats all that really matters
BeerMe

Princeton_Man

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on November 26, 2017, 01:22:01 AM
hmm...I would have probably wanted them to ship me the right reel.  But, if you are happy with the reel, thats all that really matters

That's me as well. I've sent things back simply because the factory seal was broken. All that really matters is that Steve is satisfied.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

analfisherman

Quote from: SteveTX on November 25, 2017, 08:39:47 AM
I think I did OK.

If I had seen this reel in a bargain bin for what I have in it I would have bought it.

I've paid more for way less reel when it comes to the meat of the reel.

Thanks for the opinions fellas.  :)

That's your answer right there.........you would buy it AND use it at that price.

You did good........now catch some bass.....AND SHOW THEM THE REEL!  ;) ;D
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Polaris425

I can't even buy them from the distributor for that price new...

But I agree with everyone else, it looks used.

I know one of the last few years models had issues with the cosmetics, the coating would come off. I bet someone returned one of those, and they turned around a relisted it for sale as a new reel.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.