Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daiwa SVTW103 Price Reduction  (Read 589 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Daiwa SVTW103 Price Reduction
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »

I noticed that some of the E Bay Daiwa sellers continue to reduce their price on the SVTW103 series reels.  Price now about $125.  down from $135.  I still have some older Lews that need to be replaced someday but maybe I should be thinking about it sooner rather than later.  I really don't need them since the Lews are still good. 

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: Daiwa SVTW103 Price Reduction
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »

See how fast you can sell the Lews, might make enough to buy a couple 103ís  :-*
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »

I noticed that some of the E Bay Daiwa sellers continue to reduce their price on the SVTW103 series reels. 

That one line right there says it all Bud!   :surrender:

You might want to hold on to the Lew's... 

In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »

FloridaFishingfool, you interpret it your way but Bud has already proven to himself that the Daiwa is a far superior reel than the Lews he's using. Only makes sense to jump on a good deal on the reel you enjoy using.  Do not turn this into a haters thread. If you'd like to publish a full review or comparison of your own experience then by all means do so in your own thread.

Cork's Reel Service

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »

Not trying to turn it into a haters thread. My point was if the price keeps dropping then it tends to indicate to me that they are not selling well or moving fast enough is why prices tend to come down.

I am not saying anything pro or con about the reel itself, only observing why the prices might be dropping.

I guess word arrangements viewed on a computer screen are open to a wide variety of interpretation as you stated.

So maybe if Bud waits a little longer the prices may drop even lower making it a really great deal. I too have been waiting for prices to come down on the new reel I want to buy 4 of but as yet that is not happening so I am still using last year's model for now.

In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »

We all know you're not a Daiwa fan FFF.  I dont know if you have tried one of the SV spooled ones..but they are really that good. 

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

We all know you're not a Daiwa fan FFF.  I dont know if you have tried one of the SV spooled ones..but they are really that good.

I am open to trying anything and I usually do. Having been a reel tech for more than 30 years puts me in a position to see most of the reels that are made. And over the years I have tried more than I can ever remember or want to remember.

Today I have reels in my collection most people have never heard of and have never used before and are so rare that trying to find a second one is next to impossible- and I know this because I look for duplicate models for parts. I have one reel that I have looked for a second one for more than 20 years and I still have one reel.

And I have tried Daiwa, but I confess I have not tried an SV model, but I would be willing to give it go.

I often wonder if one of the reasons I am not a fan of the Daiwa line of reels has to do with operation and muscle training.

Briefly explaining- back in the 80's I used Shimano reels that only had magnetic braking. Over time Shimano switched over to centrifugal braking and dropped the magnetic braking. I made the switch over to all centrifugal brakes with the old Curado B series reels and never looked back nor went back to magnetic brakes only. In fact I have steadfastly avoided reels with magnetic braking only.

Today my Curado reels are all centrifugal brakes only, and some of my off brand reels have both magnetic along with centrifugal employed at the same time or a varying degree of choice between the two.

When I look at Daiwa I see mostly magnetic and no centrifugal brakes.

My casting is adapted and trained for centrifugal brakes which tends to operate best on the front end of a cast at higher spool rotation speeds and my thumb works the back end of the cast, while magnetic brakes tend to be most effective on the backside of a cast as the rotation speed drops- where I don't need it- and least effective on the high speed front end of a cast- where I do need it more.

My point is that right now the Daiwa line braking design is polar opposite to what I am use to and trained to use. So for me there is a basic operational difference that really keeps me locked into the Shimano direction of braking design and operation.

For the way I cast the shimano brake design has worked really well for me.

I would be open and curious to experience how much of a muscle training difference there is for me to adapt back and forth between brake designs of the two major brands.

I wonder if this is why Bass Pro puts both in many of their reels, especially their "higher" end reels? Even with those reels I have modified the centrifugal brakes on them tailoring them for my casting style. I removed the springs from the brake shoes so they free floated like Shimano and was more effective through the mid cast.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:04:14 AM by FloridaFishinFool »

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »

Just goes to show you that we all have our preferences.  It does not mean that a reel is worse or better than the other.  It simply means that it fits your personal needs better.  I personally believe in the SV spool simply because it works for me.  The only shimano reels I have ever owned were the old 201 bantams.  They were ok but after the switch to Lews, I believe the shimano was clunky and stopped using them and eventually traded them for some rods.  Essentially the same thing happened during my recent switch to Daiwa.  They just work for me and that does not mean the Lews are bad it just means I like the Daiwa better.  With reel technology changing so rapidly who knows what will be my next favorite.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »

I fully agree Bud. Well said.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »

FFF I had the same reservations about magnetic brakes at first. Because my casting style just works better with centrifugal brakes. But I took the chance on one of the Tatula models with the MagForce Z after LMG had mentioned the brake system is far superior than any regular magnetic brake and I wouldn't have any issues.
When I tried the reel, I quickly adjusted to it. The magforce z magnetic brake is fantastic and works great when other magnetic reels won't do the job for me.
With the SV you get a MagForce Air brake which is even better.

As far as the price drop, we are talking about ebay. Not reputable tackle stores. The SV has gone on sale a couple times at particular reputable store for 135 but the normal price for the reel is still 200.00. What i think is that Daiwa shoots themselves in the foot with so many different models and variations of similar reels.
After owning a Tatula CT and upgrading the bearings total cost 129+15= 144 I could basically save 55 dollars if I was looking to pay full price for an SV. Granted the SV has more features. Slightly lighter, shallower spool, and upgraded brakes. But the CT does everything the SV does in my opinion.

I did buy a second SV because I got it on sale for 135. Otherwise I would have got another CT.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »

...My casting is adapted and trained for centrifugal brakes which tends to operate best on the front end of a cast at higher spool rotation speeds and my thumb works the back end of the cast, while magnetic brakes tend to be most effective on the backside of a cast as the rotation speed drops- where I don't need it- and least effective on the high speed front end of a cast- where I do need it more...

I'm often amazed at the information you learn here, from a post that is not even your own.  Mr. FFF,  I just had a light bulb moment thanks to you.

I've been looking for a way to put my casting style into words and I think you just did.  I too, like to cast fast and have tried multiple reels and braking options to get the reel to fit my casting style but instead I've been adjusting my casting style to fit the reel I use.

I'm going to do some experimenting with my magnetic vs centrifugal reels and see which fits my casting style best.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »

Glad to hear I may have helped someone. This is why I try and "contribute" here.

For me braking was an evolutional process. I went from reels with no brakes to reels with only magnetic brakes and I had problems.

Most of my backlashes happened on the initial high speed jerky spinout on the extreme front end of my casting. The magnets did nothing to help this.

But when Shimano made the leap from their 1980's magnetic brakes to all centrifugal brakes on reels like their early 1990's curado reels with 6 brake shoes, I was suddenly amazed that a reel company had actually zero'd in on the very problem I was having casting.

Now all of a sudden, I had brake shoes controlling the spool's rotation speed to match my casting style. The weight of those brake shoes is at their maximum when the spool is spinning at its fastest speed. And as the spool's rotation slows down, the braking is reduced at a point in time when my thumb can take over.

For me it was a perfect match made in heaven.

Daiwa on the other hand simply tried to build a better mouse trap by reinventing the magnetic brake system. I was not as good at casting their reels as I learned to be using the centrifugal only brake system Shimano developed. It boiled down to simple physics for me and what worked and what didn't.

And then along came the reels with both types of brakes combined inside of reels. I was able to use them and over time modified them to operate more in line with what I needed them to do.

One example of a modification was that on most combined brake reels, the centrifugal brake shoes were all spring loaded. This means that the springs pushes the brake shoes away from the brake drum at an early time in my cast. So I bought some extra spools and I began removing those brake shoe springs allowing the brake shoes to free float in the same way Shimano does theirs.

Making this modification allowed me to dial in the centrifugal far more accurately and use fewer brake shoes without the springs, and I could now use less of the magnetic brakes and just use my thumb for the last portion of my casts.

Another modification I have been working on is in how I cast. Rather than a quick jerk into the cast, I have learned to power up into the cast more slowly and evenly allowing the line to flow off the reel rather than jerk send it out there. So now the power of the cast is no longer at the extreme front end. I have tried to move the power portion of the cast to just after the loading of the rod comes around and begins to unload then I apply muscle power behind it trying to make it all flow together more smoothly. Difficult to learn to say the least.

So it is kind of a difficult leap for me to go back to using magnetic only, but I am willing to try it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:24:32 AM by FloridaFishinFool »

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

All I know is I'm the lonely voice here that likes my BPS PRO QUALIFIERS, after using Quantums for years until they took a decent reel  past my price range and had their reels made in Korea I tried the PRO QUALIFIERS and they work well for me. You guys argue the merits and demerits in Lews, Daiwa and Shimano, I'll just lurk over her with my PRO QUALIFIERS and be happy as a clam. ;D ;D ;D lo lo ;)
Happy Oldfart
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »

OldFart I still own several Bass Pro reels I just can not let go of. I still have one Johnny Morris signature series reel and some Rick Clunn signature reels and a couple of top of the line Browning reels also made by Bass Pro in the same South Korea factory as the BP reels.

I also have one BP round reel on a rod right now I use at my north Florida home location.

So you are not alone in using BP- well I use to them regularly- but I still have some of them and they are ready to fish with. That being said, most of my BP reels use a combination of brakes- magnetic and centrifugal except for the round reel which is centrifugal only.

When BP reels are taken good care of and regularly maintained they will last for years and years. My reels are 10 years old or more and they are all still like new performance-wise.

I would be curious to know what your reel has inside for brakes? one or both? It has been awhile since I have seen or held a pro qualifier.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »

Oldfart, Pro Qualifiers as early as 5 years ago were considered "Throw away reels". We bought them and they were great, but after a year or two, wear would set in and we simply replaced them. You could buy them for 49 bux during sales. BPS only ordered enough spare parts for an estimated 2 years worth of repairs. This left the angler hanging. However BPS did keep a stock pile of used reels that they would cannibalize parts off of.

Now starting about 7 years ago certain pro qualifiers were upgraded. It was a test for Bass Pro. Bass Pro quickly learned they needed better parts and a smother reel in order to keep up with sales of other brands. Anglers wanted more. BPS started putting better parts into the Pro Qualifier and it was still budget priced. 

I personally don't like the clutch mechanism in them, but that is personal preference. Other than that, I know you maintain your reels and they will last!  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Ddyyak

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »

Someone help me understand how the eBay sellers can be selling them so cheap when no one else is discounting them. It does not make sense. Diawa certainly is not giving them a deal. I love my sv and thank everyone on here for their review or I wouldn't have bought one. Looking to buy another, 129$ is tempting but something just doesn't feel right, I could see 10-15% less but not $70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Daiwa SVTW103 Price Reduction
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

Someone help me understand how the eBay sellers can be selling them so cheap when no one else is discounting them. It does not make sense. Diawa certainly is not giving them a deal. I love my sv and thank everyone on here for their review or I wouldn't have bought one. Looking to buy another, 129$ is tempting but something just doesn't feel right, I could see 10-15% less but not $70

The question is will Daiwa honor any warranty if purchased from one of these sellers? That is where I am skeptical. I've bought a couple reels from sportsmansoutfitters who also have a .com and are a reputable store as far as I can tell. They ship fast and have good customer service. I have bought rods from them as well. They sell on ebay and sometimes have certain things cheaper on ebay than their online store. That is understandable. But some of these other ebay sellers, who knows how they are getting their reels? I don't trust em.

As great as the reel is and as much as it's reduced my backlashes, overruns and birds nests I still get these every once and a while lol
Guess Daiwa should employ me to test their reels before they go around saying it's nearly impossible to backlash the SV

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:47:27 PM by rickdelprado »
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

well I'm a long ways from you guys on knowledge but recently I bought a new lews. I paired it with a Ducket ghost. I had nothing but problems. I took it off and put it on my lews tp-1 and way way better results. So I'm thinking pairing choices is as important as which real you buy. If I am wrong let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »

well I'm a long ways from you guys on knowledge but recently I bought a new lews. I paired it with a Ducket ghost. I had nothing but problems. I took it off and put it on my lews tp-1 and way way better results. So I'm thinking pairing choices is as important as which real you buy. If I am wrong let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are definitely not wrong, rod pairing is very important. A reel designed to cast 1/8 ounce weights with a reel designed to throw swimbaits, it's going to work well. Lots of very short casts. The flip a reel designed to throw light baits will over run if pair with a stiff swimbait rod.

Then like has been mentioned some reels just don't fit your hands. Ron Fogelson is a great example. He was a die hard Curado user before he found Okuma. When the Curado E series came out, they changed a very insignificant part of the reels side plate. For me and many others I never noticed they did it, until Ron was telling me how he didn't like it. He has large hands and the way he holds a reel, this change caused discomfort after only a few minutes of fishing. 

I truly believe all major reel manufactures are putting out good products, however inside the manufacturers line ups, you get what you pay for. Everyone knows I'm a die hard Shimano user, but there are certain shimano reels I high recommend you don't buy.

Cork's Reel Service

hubcap91

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »

What really confused me recently was when I purchased a Shimano Nasci 2500 on ebay and a box from Bass Pro arrived with my name on it. I paid $75 for the reel to the ebayer and received a shipment straight from BPS with my shipping info and the seller's billing info on the invoice. They paid the full $99 for it. Explain that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »

They probably got a $25 kickback for a drop ship sale. Didnít make but a dollar,but he didnít have to leave his house

Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.