Another Fishing Line Question Copolymer Edition

Started by creekbasser, November 26, 2017, 04:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creekbasser

Well the ice is slowly beginning to take over the lake here in central Michigan. I am relatively new to more serious bass fishing. I have really been looking into the fishing line part of my setups. I have recently discovered copolymer lines. I have seen some people saying they run it on all of their setups and some people saying that they do not use it all. I was not planning on replacing all of my setups with it but is it a good option to replace fluorocarbon? Mono?  Additionally any information on stretch and sensitivity would be greatly appreciated.  :) 

analfisherman

Coply technically are a type of Mono.
Mono with added  or multiple types of nylon.....sometimes Florocarbon.

So to start, you need to decide what your looking for.....When selecting a fishing line, one must consider a number of factors.   While knot strength, abrasion resistance, suppleness, shock resistance, castability, stretch and low spool memory are all important characteristics.
Last but not least is line diameter.

As a rule a coply usually has a smaller diameter than straight mono.
Also as a rule less stretch.
Other than that.....there really isn't anything similar from one coply and another.

In other words....'what don't you like about what your using'?
EX: Are you wishing for line to fish lay downs and rock and you seem to be getting break offs a lot?

Coplys are so different from one another that a simple answer is tough unless you know what you want to accomplish.......or why Mono isn't working.

Copolymer lines became commercially available in the early 1980s.   Copolymer lines are also made with the same die extrusion process as standard monofilaments.   The difference is that two or more types of nylons with different characteristics are merged during the extrusion to form a single copolymer strand.   The resulting copolymer line has many advantages over traditional nylon monofilament lines.   They have smaller line diameters, are more abrasion resistant, have lower stretch, a higher tensile strength, and a higher impact and shock resistance than standard monofilaments.    New formulas, such as the addition of fluorocarbon add invisibility to the line.   But once again, it can be a bit more expensive than standard monofilament.

I use all type of line BUT lean more to a Co-polymer with Fluorocarbon in it as opposed to straight Floro.
Reason.....better manageability. 
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

creekbasser

This is great information. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Creek, anal gave you some good info there. The best way to figure what you like is to actually use it. Many here use straight braid for everything, some use straight mono and some, like me, use some of each, just depends on technique.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

My rods have one of three lines on them. Topwater rods have Senshi mono, grass and pad rods have braid, still trying out different brands, jig rods have P-line flouroclear.
I throw the flouroclear more than the others and have had only two break offs this year. Really good line around wood and docks.
I used to use flourocarbon lines but got tired of the line unspooling itself. Still get some especially in really cold weather but no where near as bad.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

fishballer06

I am a guy who usually uses all fluoro except for situations that call for braid. However, I bought a spool of Gamma Polyflex this fall and I've been running it on my new Curado K. So far, I've been very impressed and it has worked well for me.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament