Hi Viz Braid

Started by Bud Kennedy, November 29, 2017, 05:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Thinking I want to try some Hi Vis Power Pro 20#.  Not sure if I should get White or Yellow. 

WTodd

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 29, 2017, 05:23:38 PM
Thinking I want to try some Hi Vis Power Pro 20#.  Not sure if I should get White or Yellow.
Why Hi Vis? I use PP #30 for normal fishing & #50 for frogs/flipping in moss green; I wish they made black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

For me I only have one working eye and it is difficult so see my line fishing moss green against our typical dark water in SC.  Need a little help to see it.

WTodd

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 29, 2017, 06:06:42 PM
For me I only have one working eye and it is difficult so see my line fishing moss green against our typical dark water in SC.  Need a little help to see it.
Ok but if you get in clearer water put a fluoro leader on it

bigjim5589

I use hi vis yellow or lime, and have used orange, red, & white in addition to the various greens. I can see the yellow best, but any of those lighter colors are easier to see than the green. I don't use a leader either.  ~shade
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bud Kennedy

Thanks Big Jim, I get some yellow on your recommendation

hubcap91

I have yellow 20# power pro on my spinning setup. Helps alot with strike detection when throwing weightless senkos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

analfisherman

I use/have used WHITE.

Nice thing about white is it's ALWAYS visible and if you do get in a position where you want less visibility to the fish.......SIMPLY take a black Sharpie and blacken the first 3 feet or so with the Sharpie........you will be amazed how stealthy BLACK is in any water clarity.

White allows you to easily see where you've blackened and the line above water is very visible.

PLUS you don't have to worry about the knot failing on the braid to leader knot.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Oldfart9999

I'm switching over as I have to replace, I like Power Pro also. I was chastised by Bo for using a leader so I've started go without one, even in clear water, Bo was right, you really don't need a leader. I like yellow, my eyes are as old as I am and it's much easier to see the and watch the line. With any light colored braid you can use black or colored sharpies for the last few feet of line.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

twocold

White works for me don't use a leader either

SteveTX

Leader bahahaha  ::)

Nope no leader here either. But I can see a use for it based on some YouTube evidence on walking baits. Braid being limp they say will sometimes tangle in the lure and they claim adding a leader of mono or fluro with its stiffness allows a a cushion between the braid and the lure.

All the rest of the hype oh I mean fish seeing the line and running away yeah maybe but so far I cant agree with it.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: WTodd on November 29, 2017, 07:29:18 PM
Ok but if you get in clearer water put a fluoro leader on it

I have to respectfully disagree here. I use Hi-Vis braid exclusively. The natural glacial lakes I fish are some of the clearest water on the planet. I stopped using leaders a few years back and I have not noticed any difference in the number of bites I get. Personally, I honestly don't believe line color makes any difference to the fish at all, and I believe from the numerous threads on this topic here on UB that I am not alone in this.

Just my opinion and no disrespect or argument intended whatsoever. Whatever works best for each individual angler is what they should go with.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

WTodd

As far as what a bass sees or not is a question that'll never be answered. I've asked real bass this question but they won't divulge this information.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: WTodd on November 30, 2017, 04:22:46 PM
As far as what a bass sees or not is a question that'll never be answered. I've asked real bass this question but they won't divulge this information.

lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

I use hi viz everything and haven't noticed an issue where I fish.  But everybody's mileage can vary.

To me, leaders are for abrasion resistance more than stealth.  I have brought in some hefty fish on a leader, so am not so concerned on the knot issue either, but that is another discussion.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim