Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braid Fade  (Read 1264 times)

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Braid Fade
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »

No it isn't. Different braids fade at different usage levels. If you want to look at wear, look at the threads, if the line is fuzzy you may have some fray in your line.
I wouldn't worry about the fade.
Oh I do look for that. Just cut off about 3 feet yesterday that had some nicks and fuzz.
Back when I first moved to Baytown, a local guy here had a special on white PP.  He said that he bought a lot of it that wasn't colored right.  It was more like an off white to me.

I spooled one of my reels and my buddy's with it.  Man did it show up when it was new, after a few outings it started to absorb the water stain that is in the bayou.  It looked like a white wall that was in a smoker's room.  Worked OK though.  We caught a lot of fish on that line too.

Aren't some companies making white braid now?  I had white Nanofil, if I remember correctly.

Talking about fraying, I used 80lb Gator Line with about 10 yards of 100lb flouro leader on a shark rod back in Fl, after a couple of outings it looked like a caterpillar, never did break.  I finally replaced it because it looked so fuzzy.
Since I use much smaller diameter line than that (20-30#), I wouldn't expect mine to take much abuse after it starts to wear.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »

Oh I do look for that. Just cut off about 3 feet yesterday that had some nicks and fuzz.Since I use much smaller diameter line than that (20-30#), I wouldn't expect mine to take much abuse after it starts to wear.

Yeah, 20-30lb braid is much less forgiving when its frayed. Doesn't take much for it to snap once you see a fray.
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

j102

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »

i am with you on the hi-vis yellow.  proved that fact to a fellow fishing with me on lake fork the other day.  and, i am sure that you fish some pretty clear water quite often.

bo

Was that straight braid or with a Fluorocarbon leader?
I have never used the hi-vis yellow, but my eyes are starting to ask for it.

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

J102, I believe Bo does the same as I do, ties direct to the jig, no leaders at all. I still have some lo vis moss green braid on a few reels, but have come to prefer the hi vis colors because I can see it much better.

I see no difference as far as getting bites. IF, I start to see that I'm not getting many takes, I'll switch to a lighter line ( different rod & reel) , but I tie direct on all of them. I feel the lighter or heavier line may affect the fall rate some, especially on lighter weight jigs, but other than that, don't even give it any thought about the fish seeing it.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »

You might want to see Bo's response in the post titled to mono or not to mono.  He has done a braid to mono comparison

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=139068.0

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

Fireline used to make a hot pink line that was easy to see and got better as it faded.  Too bad they quit making that stuff.

I got some red braid now that is easy to see when tying knots but disappears to me the minute it leaves the rod tip.  The jury is still out as to whether this is a good thing or not.

Has anybody tried blue braid?  I was looking at a spool of it online and wondered how visible it would be.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

smokey bear

• Smallmouth
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 08:45:11 PM »

$39.99 for a 150 yards is keeping me from being a test dummy.

People pay this for fluorocarbon, why not braid? 

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:14 PM »

People pay this for fluorocarbon, why not braid?

I can get proven beyond a shadow of doubt Power Pro 150 yards all day every day as near as the local Walmart for under $13. What rational logical explanation would I use to convince myself to pay over three times the rate I am paying for a product I have to order and dont have any experience with.  :-\
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 23 queries.