I broke my favorite multi-use casting rod

Started by Kris, December 06, 2017, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

It has taken me awhile to get over this. On my last fishing trip of 2017 I broke the tip off my absolute favorite casting rod. This rod has been with me since back in the day and was purchased from a Friend who won it in a tournament back then.
The rod is a "Gator" is seven foot, Medium Heavy and rated for 1/2 to 2 ounces on lures. I think since they consider it to be MH they probably also consider it to be Fast action. In my opinion this rod is more Heavy with a Fast action. I have used this rod for pitching, flipping, Mann's 20+ crankbaits and even Texas rigged worms on the Potomac and other rivers. Breaking the first four inches off the top bummed me out. I have spent the money a couple of years ago to get the rod redone, cleaned and new guides. I love this rod. To me, the sensitivity on this thing is off the charts.
Now comes the decision, do I retire it or do I get it fixed. My Buddy can fix it but what will I have then? I'm thinking it will be a Heavy/Mag Heavy, Extra Fast action telephone pole. but, I can't turn my back on "Old Reliable".
I'm sorry I broke it but it has to continue to fish with me. It may be best used for my Mann's 20+ crankbaits but I still have to keep it. Anyone else have a rod they can't do without?
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Lipripper

Kris if it's going to be like a telephone pole you could always make a catfishing rod out of it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

True, but I have catfished very seldom in my life.

D.W. Verts

Fix it, re-space the guides, then see what it's good at.

I have some pretty cool old rods, but I'm not married to any of them. Thank goodness.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

Quote from: Kris on December 06, 2017, 07:22:38 PM
Look at the bright sides.

• Since you barely catfish the rod will last forever if fixed
  • You could have lost it overboard never to be seen again

Lipripper

Quote from: Kris on December 06, 2017, 07:22:38 PM
No problem just get some stink bait or cut up shad and cast it out the catfish will find it.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

By cleaning up the break and putting an oversized tip on it definitely changes the action quite a bit. However you can buy a tip kit for less than $10. So I would suggest putting a new tip on it and see how it might fit into your arsenal. It's cheap to fix.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Kris

I had this rod redone a couple of years ago. The person that redid it was the Buddy that built my custom spinning rod for me. I am going to take it to him in a week or two so he can repair what is there. He will probably remove a guide or two, relocate and put on a new tip-top. There is no way I would want to lose this rod.

Mike Cork

with guide re-positioning you might find you like it quite well.   :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service