Fishing North East Texas December 03

Started by SteveTX, December 03, 2017, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

Had a great day today. Everyone should have been fishing. ;D Awesome weather and a great bite. We started out hoping to get a little top water bite. It was suppose to be cloudy with rain coming in late that evening. Well it was cloudy and there might be rain coming but the fish didn't want anything to do with a top water bite.
We then went to pick a few small mats apart that had recently been forming. And early on there was nothing there either. So we moved to pitching in the shallows next to the cattail and started landing fish. I had caught one or two and was talking some smack to my friend Jeff who then landed himself a decent one. So we were having a little fun.
Then as we worked our way down the lake I get hit. I mean I get a bite that is like the kind that try and pull the rod away. It was a completely under water battle that lasted less than a minute before the Lew's Super Duty, 65lb PowerPro, and the Dobyns Savvy 735 over came her. She tried with all she had to break free but ended up short. So far this one is the biggest I have caught out of this lake I started fishing early this year. Pics are at the bottom.   
After fishing that area we came back on some mats and I proceeded to pick them apart. Landing 3 or 4 more decent fish out of those mats.
All in all I think I had two under 14" and a couple 15" but didn't count the nice 3 and 4 lb 17 to 19" ones we caught. It was a lot. Ill throw a few samples down below as well.     

Date: 12/03/17
Time of day: 7AM - 2:30PM
Weather conditions: Partly cloudy early with about 10 mph West wind turning Scattered Clouds with 15 to 20 mph South winds 
Air temps: Air temp low of 61° high 77°
Water Clarity: Turbid
Lures and techniques used:

• Zoom Ultravibe, color Sapphire Blue, used with a Stanley Jigs Hand Tied Punch Skirt in Blue Water Dog color, 3/8 oz tungsten weight, Bass Pro Double Arm Rattler, tied to a 4/0 Trokar Flippin' Hook - Was used as a pitching bait to isolated mats. Biggest and most catches of the day.
  • Zoom Horny Toad, color White with 1/8 oz 4/0 Trokar swimbait hook - Long casts in semi sparse dying lily pad fields. Retrieved steady and slow but just fast enough that the feet would kick. Sometimes just under the water retrieve as well as some times on top.
  • Netbait Baby Paca Craw, Multiple colors ending up with Junebug, used with a Punch Skirt in black n blue color, Gene Larew 7 mm glass rattle inserted into craw, 3/8 oz tungsten weight, tied to a 4/0 Trokar Flippin' Hook - Was used as a pitching bait to isolated mats.
  • Stanley Top Toad, color White - Long casts in semi sparse dying lily pad fields. Retrieved steady and slow but just fast enough that the feet would kick.

A piece of the lake we fish.

Some random catches

Tank of the day. Slightly over 21" and 5.75 lbs

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Steve and them some nice looking fish.  ~c~ ~c~ Looks like a great spot for frogging when the top water bite is working.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

What an awesome day! You would have started IBass with a heck of a stringer  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

merc1997

On Heaven's Lake

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the pictures with us also. ~c~ ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard