Dear Santa, aka Gary

Started by rb-nc, December 07, 2017, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rb-nc

All I want for Christmas is a 7'2" Moderate fast spinning rod, and here is the catch, a true Tennessee handle to it. Man I miss those handles on rods. And the beauty now would be you wouldn't have to tape it. You could use the Winn Grip wrap on it. I just know they wouldn't sale at all

Mike Cork

Two of us would buy one, wonder what the minimum order is  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

When he gets to TX, have him to come over to LA and fish. Take him to one of the swamps and tie him to a cypress stump until he agrees to build a few. But no joke as much advances that have been made in graphite can you imagine how good that would be

Mike Cork

Absolutely the sensitivity would be off the charts....

So you're suggestion a Cajun Swamp boat ride  :-* the ride out is free  :-*

I could get him so turned around he wouldn't know where the sun was anymore because it don't shine through the trees  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

You got the idea. Fishing version of a snipe hunt

cport

OK, I had never heard of a Tennessee Handle, so I googled...so how do you mount the reel?
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

D.W. Verts

Man, I love those Tennessee handles...

We always used electrical tape. I don't know what a Winn Grip is.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

rb-nc

In the old days it was electrical tape the reel to the blank. Here is a quick view of Winn Grip wrap. All it would take would be a few wraps on the reel base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeF4XknRft8

bhodge

SO real old school was to cut the cork to fit the reel so less bulge, then two strips of narrow Packaging tape 1" wide. then exterior electrical tape.

I owned a tackle shop for a few years called HAWG's Bait and Tackle. This method was so popular I would do 10-20 rods a week for customers.

I agree the Winn grips would be awesome

Dink Dawg

The last manufacture I recall offering a Tennesee handle was Lamiglas in the 701XS Drop Shot Special. The model was dropped many years ago for lack of sales. It would be easy to have a custom rod built and probably at a very reasonable price.

Bud Kennedy

OK folks help me out here.  I have never seen let alone used the rod type you are talking about.  I just can't understand why these would be superior with regards to sensitivity.  I would think that a quality reel seat would transmit as much line feel as anything else.  I would like to hear why you think it would be a thing folks would want since no one makes these anymore.  If you can't sell enough of them that must mean that most folks don't want them.

Mike Cork

Most folks don't want them. The superior sensitivity was because there were not the quality blanks of today 20 years ago.

As bhodge mentioned, anglers would cut the cork out and get the reel very close to the blank if not on it. Didn't get any more sensitive than that.

I also liked the over all feel and the ability to adjust the reel up and down the handle to find my perfect spot and balance. They had a lot of pluses back in the day. I don't know if one could be more sensitivity now. But the blanks of today are much better so who knows. As you mentioned there just ins't a market for them now and manufacturers can't survive with them in the line up.

Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

The ones I used to have were solid graphite, no cork. The entire reel and your whole hand was touching graphite the whole time. Think about like this, all rod handles and reel seats are made of cork, foam and plastic all insulators.

Mike Cork

I only had one that I could attach to the blank, it was awesome. Can't remember who made it though?

Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Count me in as another lover of Tennessee handles. Miss those days but I see how it would not be a good move economically for a manufacturer.  :(
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bhodge

SO G Loomis used to offer a 721, 722 and 723 model with cork handles and two round rings. we would cut the rings off and do the trimming of the cork. The grips for spinning back then were either plastic or some form of composite. Not the quality we see today.

So for my customers we would cut the cork so the front of the reel seat was as close to the front of the handle as possible so you could rest your finger on the blank.  Most handles were more mid center of the handles back then and thus deadened the feel some.

Lamiglas followed later.

Gary Dobyns

I love Tennessee handled spinning rods. All my custom built spinning have been made with Tennessee handles. I worked years ago with a company and we built Tennessee handles. They did not sell. Anglers had two responses all the time. The first was "you're just saving money by not putting a seat on the rod" and my favorite "a fish will pull that reel right off the rod".

Some of you know I'm a friend to the Posey family and Lamiglas brand. They were the last company that I know of that took a shot at building Tennessee handles and they were all graphite. Again, very poor sales made it go away.

While I agree with all you guys, we simply can't sell enough to justify making them. There's just not enough of us "old" school guys left :)

rb-nc

Just make a few for us. We won't tell anyone

Bud Kennedy

Well RB it looks like you are just gonna have to build one yourself.   ~c~

rb-nc

Going to start after Christmas

bhodge

Question for you rod builders out there. Can't you remove an old handle and order just all cork like Gary's full handle. Wa La, Tennessee handle.  We used to do that

Bigwrench

They were very popular around here.
I had 3 for sale for a long time and no one bit on them but I kept one just for myself lol.
Hopefully will get to try it out next year. 
Would like to see a Dobyns with a Tn handle also but understand it's not going to be a big market.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Sc Bassin

I have 2 Shimano ML-2522 Bass action rods that have the Tenn. handle.  I purchased 4 of them with 4 Shimano custom X 2000 GT spinning reels back in the mid 70's. I gave 2 of them to my grandson so he could fish at the pond not far from his house. I also have a Charlie Brewer rod with a D.A.M.Quick 110 N that has the Tenn handle. I still use them from time to time. I always carry 1 in the boat.