Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jig rod  (Read 572 times)

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Jig rod
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Sorry, new here asked this question in wrong place. I fish mostly from bank/wade. I'm looking for a dedicated jig rod for 3/8 to 1/2 Oz pitching, casting style jigs. Was considering 7'4 alx zola dragger. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated in similar price range

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Jig rod
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »

Sorry, new here asked this question in wrong place. I fish mostly from bank/wade. I'm looking for a dedicated jig rod for 3/8 to 1/2 Oz pitching, casting style jigs. Was considering 7'4 alx zola dragger. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated in similar price range

Hey Jason, welcome. I was in the market for a new rod last month to match up with my Curado K and was considering that same ALX line. Bud Kennedy told me what he knew about them. Here's the link..

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=138319.0

I ended up going with an Omen Black 2, because I wanted to use my Cabela's gift card for a few other  baits and things too; the Zolo would have used all of it (and a little more LOL). I like the Omen 7'1" M fast, very sensitive and seems to have some back, although I can only base it on a 16" fish or two, haven't got any pigs with it yet. I still think maybe I should have pulled the trigger on that ALX.
6.31 PB 🎣

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »

Thanks for the link .I have 6ft8 omen black 2 I use a lot for most Jeri baits and certain top waters. I love that rod for the price

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:33:17 PM »

Dobyns dc744c is a special rod for jigs. The extra fast action and great backbone makes it a super rod on hooksets.
It also is very light, balanced, and sensitive.
I fish jigs a lot, well all the time, and this is my go to rod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you need me I'm outdoors.

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »

In the $ 200 range for 3/8 and 1/2 oz. I really like the Denali lithium 883. Plenty sensitive and a great tip.
 Also makes a nice spinnerbait and buzzbait rod. I also throw soft swim baits on it.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:14 AM »

let me clarify the rod you mentioned is rated for Upto 1 1/2 not 1/2 oz. I want to make sure you get the correct recommendations here because so far you’ve gotten a few suggestions for M rods.
If you’ll be throwing jigs from 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz an alternative would be the Dobyns champion 735
Up to 1 oz a 734 will work well.

If you want to save a little money the Sierra series is also a great option.

13 fishing also makes a very nice rod.
The 7’4 Muse Black Heavy goes to 1 1/2

Now if you are looking to throw light jigs up to 1/2 oz the rod you mentioned may not be the right rod for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Eric-Maine

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

If I was wading or on the bank I would want a  spinning rod for jigs or anything else for that matter. Longer casts more versatile. For jigs spool with 20lb braid and a 15 lb floro leader. 7' or so Medium to med/heavy fast tip 3000 reel. Could use this rod for many apps by varying the leader.

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »

The 7ft 4 muse looks nice. I'll be putting a curado k on the rod I choose. I don't feel I loose much if it all casting distance vs a spinning rod, I feel much more In control also. To clarify I use 3/4 Oz jigs max but deal with a lot of weed lines and think cabbage like flats

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »

The 7ft 4 muse looks nice. I'll be putting a curado k on the rod I choose. I don't feel I loose much if it all casting distance vs a spinning rod, I feel much more In control also. To clarify I use 3/4 Oz jigs max but deal with a lot of weed lines and think cabbage like flats

Remember to add the weight of your trailer. If you are doing 3/4oz jig, with trailer I would put it closer to 1oz to be safe.

I think a rod with a 1 1/2oz max would be perfect.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »

That's why the dragger was one of my considerations.  Down to 2 , either the dobyns c744c or that alx. I've herd the alx action is uniquely parabolic. How about the dobyns?

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

I'd suggest the 735C 1/2 oz jigs fish well off my Savvys. I'm sure a Champion maybe the 745 would be great. I really don't know where you fish but my jigs are in the trash and my fish are coming out of the trash so I need a stout rod. If you're in open water a 4 power may be your ticket.

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

This is what currently use 7ft mh. Works well up to 1/2 Oz  but feels a little over powered any bigger. Like this rod to much for top water and large Jerkbaits anyway.

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »

How "stiff" are the dobyns actions

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »

Brownjason, I recommend you go on to the Dobyns Forum here on the UB site and read through those threads. Most of the Dobyns line up is discussed on that forum. If you still can't find the info you are looking for, you can even post your question to the Dobyns owner himself, Gary Dobyns.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »

Not sure about "stiff" but the general consensus I have read and got through my use and feedback from others fishing is that typically a Dobyns is rated off by either 1/2 or 1 power to the weaker side. I mean that a 4 power typically seems to be like a 3 1/2 or even a 3 depending on who you ask or what rod it is being discussed. The same with a 5 rating being more similar to a 4 1/2 or 4 power and so on and so forth.

I don't necessarily think of it exactly like that but that is a simple way to kind of get the point across. I think its more to it than just the way people perceive the power rating. To me a Dobyns has a different build where the rod although not a cranking rod kind of acts a tiny bit like one more down into the blank. At first I didn't like it but I really like the feel much better now days. But I also order my rods taking into account what I know about their action and power.

Heavy cover Jigs in the 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 oz range for me is a 5 power in a Dobyns. If its a swim jig or open water I might drop to a 4 power but only if the hook was a lighter wire and less likely to have to pull the fish from cover.   

Bassinlou is correct you should go to the Dobyns forum if you are really interested in a Dobyns rod and read. There is a lot of great inside information on rods there. And time permitting Gary himself may answer your question himself. He normally does but I know he is quite busy from what I gather with Christmas here and he is also moving very soon as well. Or you could call them at the store, they have helped hundreds maybe thousands with getting the rod best suited to their customers.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »

The dc744c is a hook setting machine.  But   like most dobyns rods have enough parabolic to even throw small swimbaits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brownjason686

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »

Thank you guys, decision made I'm going to get the dobyns 744c. January I'll get the alx zolo toad face. Thanks for the all the input and links

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:51:55 PM by rickdelprado »

zippyduck

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »

You are welcome and won't regret it.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

Thank you guys, decision made I'm going to get the dobyns 744c. January I'll get the alx zolo toad face. Thanks for the all the input and links

Man, I like the solution to your problem, get both!
6.31 PB 🎣
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.