being an idiot again: question on outboards

Started by coldfront, December 11, 2017, 12:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

okay, guess I have too much money AGAIN  ~rant  it's either that or way too little common sense (those who know me might trend to this explanation).

thinking about a new boat. love my current boat, but when attempting to move from spot A to spot B and that can take 30 minutes at a cruising speed of 30mph, faster starts to look a lot more appealing with limited time in the day.

so, considering a new ranger with a 150.

the question is:  4-stroke vs XS?  am I correct in hearing the 4-stroke may have a bit better top end?
can that be right?

Bud Kennedy

All I can say is that the Ranger 198P with a 150 four stroke is one heck of a machine.  I don't know about speed but I would guess somewhere in the 60mph range.  For those rocky waters you fish in the Ranger Tin would be so ideal. JMHO   FYI if you are felling a bit more frisky you also can get the 198P with an Evinrude 150 G2.  Saw this boat at the FLW Cup expo and fell in love for sure.

Princeton_Man

You're going to get lot's a pros and cons from both sides. I believe 2-strokes will give you the best hole shot and top end. 4-stroke comes out the hole a little slower and doesn't top out quite as fast. I don't think the differences in top end are enough to be a deciding factor.

There's some who say a 4-stroke will last longer. 4-stroke has more moving parts, which in my mind means more things that can break. Typically maintenance costs are a bit higher on a 4-stroke but I think that's offset a little by the cost of 2-stroke oil.

I don't know much about the black motors when it comes to 2 vs 4-stroke. Unless there's some major breakthroughs in the near future, I'll choose a 2-stroke over a 4 all day long.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

thanks Bud.

it's the TN river.  rocky bluffs.  then getting down on the river with current, can get even more fun.
poor TM head is about as scarred up as it can get.

I'm thinking the G2 150 HO for max hp and top end.  Locally, have a guy who distributes both mercs and the rudes.  In conversation, the feeling I get is he steers me to the merc.

Nothing wrong with that.  but at times the kid in me just wants that 1-2 more mph.

Nothing rational.  Just not willing to let go of the teenager yet   ;D  candidly, want to have ability to cruise at 50mph without running WOT.

think we'll sit down after Christmas and start a dialogue.

Thornback

4-stroke is quieter, smoother, starts quicker and runs cleaner. It's like a car engine. I just smile at the guys at the ramp trying to start their 2-strokes. My Merc 60 has over 12 years on it and it's never been in the shop. Starts quickly and I can't hear it run, still has the original spark plugs. I changed the engine oil twice, the foot lube once, the water pump impeller once. And because of wrapped fishing line I changed the shaft seals once. I would never go back to a 2-stroke.

D.W. Verts

You will never have a problem starting a modern (DFI) Mercury 2-stroke engine that isn't broke.

The 2-stroke will be faster. You can't beat physics.

The new 4-stroke motors are pretty genius to be sure, but one thing about the 4S on a fishin' rig is the weight. 4S motors are heavy enough to change the whole stance of the boat while it is setting static in the water. The back of the boat sets deeper, the front sets higher, and this affects the way a boat fishes in the wind. The shorter a boat, the more affect this has.

I've never seen this talked about before, but a boat that sets nose-high does not fish as well, Some hull designs are better than others too (my Charger has the angled corners which means less flotation across the back of the boat, hence it sets "nose-high".

I choose a two-stroke. Luckily for us we have better options than we've ever had before! And now for a commercial-

You can do a good deed, maybe even a GREAT one, by donating to the Adopt-a-Family deal that UB is doing thru the 19th (Lipripper will post a link to the details below, just watch).

For as little as a $20 donation you'll be entered into a drawing for cool prizes, and I'll build you a handful of custom jigs, some chatterbaits or spinnerbaits that WILL catch big bass. I have the proof!

Please guys, these folks are hurtin' and need our help.

PayPal is how I donated. They even have a deal called "PayPal Credit"- you can "borrow" that $20 (or $30, or whatever) an ease the pre-Christmas stress on your bank account. There was even a link here on the UB site the other day- it's easy!

C'mon guys & girls. Please. You'll feel good about it.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

I don't know anything about notors except one runs quieter than the other one.
Here ya go Dale since you ask  ;D
Christmas Adopt-a-Family Raffle

and here is a link where you can read her story.
Wendy's Story

And to sweeten the pot a little one of our members who makes lures is going to give your 3 or 4 lures just for donating.  ~c~ ~c~

My Adopt-a-Family Lure Giveaway

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Wizard

Since we're talking DFI Mercs, remember how to use them in cold water. The Merc needs to warm up to at least an engine temp of 115 degrees before going on plane. By the time you idle out of the no wake zone, you should be alright. The Merc also needs to cool down slowly. Don't run to your spot and immediately shut down the engine. Stop out a distance from the spot and idle to it before shutting down. This allows the engine to cool down slowly and preventing damage.

Wizard

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on December 11, 2017, 02:22:02 PM

I'm thinking the G2 150 HO for max hp and top end.  Locally, have a guy who distributes both mercs and the rudes.  In conversation, the feeling I get is he steers me to the merc.

Those new G2's are nice!! Rude's 2 stroke technology is great. Looking at the independent studies against other outboards, the G2's leave many in the dust. The fact there's no break in, maintenance free for 3 years and currently if I'm not mistaken a 10 yr warranty promo. Looks pretty dang attractive to me.

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 11, 2017, 05:47:00 PM
Those new G2's are nice!! Rude's 2 stroke technology is great. Looking at the independent studies against other outboards, the G2's leave many in the dust. The fact there's no break in, maintenance free for 3 years and currently if I'm not mistaken a 10 yr warranty promo. Looks pretty dang attractive to me.

all the marketing sure makes it attractive!  but then those danged service guys steer you in certain directions, plus tell you that there are a lot less rude techs out there.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on December 11, 2017, 06:07:54 PM
all the marketing sure makes it attractive!  but then those danged service guys steer you in certain directions, plus tell you that there are a lot less rude techs out there.
Yeah...I hear you Coldfront. Do your due diligence, and research a lot. Good luck on your choice.

Donald Garner

CF, good luck with the choice.  I've never own or been in a boat with a 4 stroke so I can't provide my 2 cents on which is best.  My 2004 Yamaha 150 VMax is the only HP outboard I've ever owned.  I'm really pleased with it. 

You mentioned the Service Techs mentioned there's a lot less Rude techs out there.  Well I've not seen any here in Central Texas where I live at.  There's lots of Merc and Yamahas running around here.  There's a couple of Johnson and I don't have any idea where they came from.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bud Kennedy

Coldfront, I was all ready to buy an E-Tech in the spring but then found out that there are no, Zero, Nada, e tech dealers wishin a hundred miles of Myrtle Beach.  Most of the bass boat guys have mercs and I know folks love them and are dedicated to them but it seems to me that the seem to have a lot of problems for the owners.  Could be from abuse or poor maintenance I would not know but I sure did not want a merc although I was able to negotiate a price through one dealer but we could never get to the final walking out the door price and I just did not want any surprises.  I contacted 4 mere dealers and only 1 even bothered to provide a price quote and it was very incomplete.  That just scared me away and made me realize that the cost of the motor is so high that if I was really gonna do something I should just get a whole new rig while I was at it.  So here I am still running my 27 year old ranger and plan on running it as long as possible with a rebuilt Johnson 150 fast strike. 

Sandman7925

Me and my dad have the same boat mine with a Yamaha 90 4 stroke and his with a Yamaha 90 2 stroke.
My back end sits way lower in the water than his when stopped.
Mine is so much more quieter I can drive by the sound. I can tell by the sound if I'm trimmed right. When at idle I can hear the water from the pee hole hitting the lake water over the motor.
At a dead stop neither of us is faster out the hole or at top end than the other. We've done it to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishandkamp

Hey Coldfront I am not sure which Ranger model you were thinking about. Please let me know, was it an aluminum or glass.  Now I realize I livew in Baltimore but I have some contacts with a few dealers you should check out there in TN. First give Bunch Marine a call the owner is fantastic and was very helpful back when I was setting up my Lowe nd he even knew I was not buying from him at the time. He was recommended by the factory. He is a Ranger dealer as well as Triton and OI believe he carries MERC and Yamaha. If you cal out there they will be happy to set up a ride on the river out there.  He is in Harriman TN.

Next give Sportsman Center up in Livingston TN a call. They have been taking care of Bobby Gentry ( the guide I always use on Dale Hollow). Call And talk to Bob and set up a chance to run a Phoenix if you are thinking about glass.

You also have a Cresliner dealer in Chattanooga So give Pro X Powersports a stop in too.

D.W. Verts

As far as wide-open speeds are concerned you won't see much of a difference until you get into the bigger boats and the V-6's.

Of course, I never caught a fish goin' very fast, anyway.

coldfront

Quote from: fishandkamp on December 12, 2017, 09:18:22 PM
Hey Coldfront I am not sure which Ranger model you were thinking about. Please let me know, was it an aluminum or glass.  Now I realize I livew in Baltimore but I have some contacts with a few dealers you should check out there in TN. First give Bunch Marine a call the owner is fantastic and was very helpful back when I was setting up my Lowe nd he even knew I was not buying from him at the time. He was recommended by the factory. He is a Ranger dealer as well as Triton and OI believe he carries MERC and Yamaha. If you cal out there they will be happy to set up a ride on the river out there.  He is in Harriman TN.

Next give Sportsman Center up in Livingston TN a call. They have been taking care of Bobby Gentry ( the guide I always use on Dale Hollow). Call And talk to Bob and set up a chance to run a Phoenix if you are thinking about glass.

You also have a Cresliner dealer in Chattanooga So give Pro X Powersports a stop in too.

thank you. 
model is ranger 198PT (aluminum:  I am not considering glass).  if it can fit in the garage looking to go there.  if not, might consider the RT188.

DWV:  you are absolutely correct.  can't catch those dang fish when on plane.  what I'm seeing here is that on a limited fishing time, I may want to run a 'few miles' between spots.  finding at times that I'm spending way to much time on pad getting to/from spots.

it's not about just going faster, it' also about creating more time to fish during the day.

at least that's what I like to tell myself!   lo

fishandkamp

Cool well there are some nice rigs to consider. Bunch Marine will get you a chance to run a 2 and a 4 stroke on a Ranger.  They will work with you too. Good guys, I spent some time there the last trip I took out your way. i was looking at some fiberglass rigs.  They made me a couple of good offers, it just turned out to be bad timing on my part.

Before you decide on a Ranger ( and I think they are great boats) be sure to check into the Crestliner and  Lund rigs. The Crestliner dealer is near you and your closest Lund dealer is Freedom Marine in Albertville, AL near Huntsville. The Lund Renegade might be a good option for you.  The 1875 is setup with a 115 hp and should fly.  All 3 boat manufacturers make some awesome boats.

D.W. Verts

Hey coldfront, I dig it. My new/rebuilt motor is fixin' to go on my new (old) rebuilt boat, and it's a 200.

Larger motors also work less than a smaller motor at cruising speeds, getting out of the hole, haulin' your fat boy buddies, etc. Something to think about.

loomisguy

The Opti will outrun the 4 stroke buts so close I'm not sure it matters.. I've heard nothing but good about the 150 four stroke.
When it comes to all things Ranger and Mercury , Pete Peterson at Pros Choice marine in Warsaw Mo. Is the best.  It would be worth your time to give him a call.

coldfront

Quote from: loomisguy on December 14, 2017, 07:21:28 AM
The Opti will outrun the 4 stroke buts so close I'm not sure it matters.. I've heard nothing but good about the 150 four stroke.
When it comes to all things Ranger and Mercury , Pete Peterson at Pros Choice marine in Warsaw Mo. Is the best.  It would be worth your time to give him a call.

thanks.  can tell you when I used to live 'back in that area' spent a little time with the guys at Ozawkie Marine.

Will probably stay a little closer to home on this deal. 

if I decide NOT to go with a 198, will probably just run my 178 for a good long while.

D.W. Verts

"Ozawkie"... There's a name I haven't heard in a while.