Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noodling ?s  (Read 679 times)

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
Noodling ?s
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:31:42 PM »

Just curious do any of you do this or what is your opinion on it?
Ill reserve my opinion as not to sway the thread one way or another.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
Re: Noodling ?s
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

My dad and uncles came came from Ky and Tn and I did it a few times when I was in high school and drank a little to much but not in a long time and never again.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »

Wow, I thought at first he was noodling for chicks and wanted to know where I could get in on that.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »

Wow, I thought at first he was noodling for chicks and wanted to know where I could get in on that.
~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao You drink enough you wouldn't be able to tell the difference or care less.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »

I did it as a young man but I'm too old now. I think I was about 45 when I caught my last cat. You better be able to hold your breath a long time.  If you stick your hand in a big cat's mouth, he won't let go. The largest I caught really wasn't that big. About 25 lbs. You have to be an idiot(or young) to do it. When you stick your hand into a hole, you don't know if it is a 20 lb or 100 lb. catfish. Or a big ol' snapping turtle. Ouch!!

Wizard

FISH520

• Largemouth
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »

Yeah i'll pass on that. I don't put anything in any unknown or unchecked holes.  ;)

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »

I did it as a young man but I'm too old now. I think I was about 45 when I caught my last cat. You better be able to hold your breath a long time.  If you stick your hand in a big cat's mouth, he won't let go. The largest I caught really wasn't that big. About 25 lbs. You have to be an idiot(or young) to do it. When you stick your hand into a hole, you don't know if it is a 20 lb or 100 lb. catfish. Or a big ol' snapping turtle. Ouch!!

Wizard

was done quite a bit around where I grew up (kansas:  smoky hill river, cottonwood).  Never ONCE knew of someone doing it sober.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »

Yeah, used to a long time ago, never did the catching though, I was the helper. Until my grandpa got tangled in some netting someone dropped and almost drowned. My great uncle (his brother) had to drag his head above water by his hair and I had to dive down with a knife and cut him loose.
Later that same day, my great uncle was bitten by something that ended up rotting his finger off and damn near killed him. Maybe he got finned? Not sure, but he had several little holes in his hand.
After that one bad day, I told them if they wanted to kill or maim themselves, they'd have to do it on their own.

I don't stick my hands in unknown holes. I quit that when I was 3-4 years old and got bit by a spider between some couch cushions.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »

I know quite a few that do it and have seen many more that do it as well. Honestly I think the rush/excitement is what many do it for. Initially I thought it was for catching fish. I don't believe that any more. Its more a badge of honor thing. Maybe it changed with the generations but what ever the reason its not for me. I agree with most I personally don't think its real wise to play that game.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »

Nope, not getting me to reach back in those roots, under a log jam, in a hole under water or in any big cats mouth.  Ain't goin do it!!!!!  Nope  :surrender:
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

topdsm0138

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »

Looks fun but try that down here, and you can kiss a hand or your life goodbye. Two other things dig those holes down here. Alligator snapping turtles and alligators. Some idiot just tried that down in Miami a few weeks ago. Ended up finding a Gator Snapper instead. Took his hand right off.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »

I guess you folks haven't tried tickling trout either. A lot easier than noodling catfish. Some folks must not have had to scrounge for food when you were young or the mill was down.

Wizard

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 06:15:41 AM »

Hell I've been hungry enough to eat pigeons I brought down with a stick and I've scraped up fresh roadkilled possum. I've had dog stew when I was living with a group of homeless in Florida (didn't know it was dog stew till afterwards).

I know what it's like to take a long hard look at your own horse and wish ya just had some salt and pepper handy. Still ain't stickin my hand in a hole with who knows what waiting in there to clamp down on it.

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 06:27:28 AM »

I guess you folks haven't tried tickling trout either. A lot easier than noodling catfish. Some folks must not have had to scrounge for food when you were young or the mill was down.

Wizard

good point.  even though I grew up pretty poor, we always had food. 

even if it was browned hamburger over rice.  or ham gravy and biscuits.

the major food groups:  starch, fat, salt and a little protein.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »

Nope! I think all of the waters that hold catfish, hold mud turtles, and moccasins as well. I don't like those odds.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »

Well, I need to start this by saying, "I have NO ILL WILL towards ANYONE who enjoys  'Noodling'!

So, now let's talk about what 'Noodling' actually is.

In noodling – also called grabbing – catfish are taken off spawning nests by yanking them out of cavities where they lay and protect eggs!

Catfish reproduction and populations in small rivers can be easily harmed by removing brood fish from nests.
“It’s sad because most of the folks doing this don’t realize they’re taking the brood fish, and that it takes many years for these fish to grow that size,” Abbott said. “The fishery cannot stay healthy when those fish are taken year after year.” (Missouri Conservation Agent Eric Abbott..I believe it's 'illegal' to noodle in the State of Missouri)

People don’t realize that when they’re taking one brood fish off the nest they’re killing thousands of eggs,
AND MALE CATFISH are BRUTAL about protecting their eggs!
Flathead catfish are most commonly targeted, in part because large males will stay on nests to defend eggs, even when disturbed.
Males, often up to 50 pounds or larger, fan the nests with a swimming motion to keep eggs clean and alive. They also keep predators away that would eat eggs, such as small fish. (hence the wiggling of the fingers,refereed to as noodling) to entice the males to attack and protect the eggs.

Then you have folks who wont even search for 'natural' beds and create artificial beds. (similar I guess, to 'baiting' for Deer or Bear?)
This may amaze you?

When agents pulled noodling boxes and tanks to near the shoreline at Truman Lake this summer, many containers had eggs and fish inside. The male flatheads stayed inside, protecting the eggs rather than swimming away, said Mike Burton, Protection district supervisor.
“We had to dump them out since the fish would not leave,” Burton said. “That’s how fiercely they wanted to guard the nest.”

AGAIN, I'M NOT CRITICIZING THE PRACTICE, IT'S JUST THAT MANY PEOPLE DON'T ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PRACTICE IS ALL ABOUT AND THE DETRIMENT IT CAN HAVE ON SMALL RIVERS AND STREAMS CATFISH POPULATIONS!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »

I had no idea how much of an impact it could have.
Then when I think about it, how many of those eggs actually turn into adult fish? Wow.
Here's a thought on a similar row, think it has any sort of a similar impact when bass fishing during the spawn?

hubcap91

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

There are plenty of people that do it here in Kentucky. I'll stick to my rod and reel though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »

Cowboy, to a certain extent.

But the vast majority of Bed fisherman are COMPLETLY AWARE that the Bass are spawning.

Most take GREAT care in a quick, immediate release and they don't DESTROY the BED when catching the Male.

Now imagine.........pulling a HUGE male out of a muddy hole in the ground.
Think how many eggs are destroyed, buried, pulled out into 'open' water WHEN THEY PULL that male out of a hole????

Then if they keep it?????????????
You now destroy FUTURE opportunities to Spawn too.

Roughly a Flathead on average takes 10 years to reach 25-30 lbs.
They can grow as much as 10 lbs. per year once an adult (roughly, 3-5 years) but food source, habitat availability, water flowage, Northern or Southern growing differences, etc.
ALL play a role in actual size of a cat....and a Bass.

But again, there is NO 'quick release' of a cat pulled out of a hole and on top of that.......think of the STRESS that fish has gone through in that battle.

Just my opinion, but not a true comparison between the two.

But I don't want this thread, which is a good one.........to become about 'Bed Fishing'.
TRUST ME........that will get heavily discussed come Spring.....always does.
Just wanted folks to KNOW what NOODLING actually was about.  :)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »

It actually sounds like a pretty sound comparison to me, makes a lot of sense. My conscience is eased a bit.

I might would have different sentiments if I could eat fish, but since I can't I try to make as little an impact as possible. I've only ever taken the time to weigh one bass. The rest just get their mug shot taken and released.
Then I pick up other folks' trash on my way out.

tholmes

• Smallmouth
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

Many years back, in my mis-spent youth, I noodled and 80 lb. flathead out of the Walnut River in southern Kansas. That SOB nearly drowned me. Yes, I was inebriated. No, I won't be trying it again.
It was illegal in KS at the time, but I suppose the statute of limitations has run out by now.

Tom
There are no magic lures, and the fish don't care what you paid for your gear.

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »

Iím not sticking my hand in dark murky holes under water.
But one time I caught a 60 pounder on a jug and wanted to know what it would feel like to let it clamp down on my hand after I got it in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »

Seems to be the main or HOT sport for lovely young ladies in the south guessing from all the videos!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »

Besides the aforementioned turtles and snakes I'd be afraid of my arm being taken off by a gator. No thanks I'll PASS!!!!
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.