Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MM41 Everglades 12/16/17  (Read 524 times)

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
MM41 Everglades 12/16/17
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »

Lou invited me out on to the glades today. Launched out of MM35 and ran to MM41. We wished the north canal, and some of the south canal. It was a slow day but we managed to catch some. Lou as usual throwing his frog, despite the water temps being around 63 degrees in the morning and eventually getting up to about 67 around noon.
I got the skunk out of the boat using a uvibe. The fish was 13 inches long with a small mouth and a big fat body. This piggy had been gorging it seemed. Never seen such a fat little fish. I was unable to get a pic though. When I put him on the ruler he decided he would rather go overboard and be in the water.
I then caught another on a stick bait before Lou found one on his frog.
We went back and forth a few more times catching a fish each and if I am not mistaken we ended up with 5 each.

The highlight of the day was watching something huge stalk Lou's frog. We thought it was a big turtle, or a small gator. Turns out it was neither, when Lou hooked it and started fighting it, it turned out to be a giant mudfish. When he brought the fish up to the surface and we got a look at it, we both realized this fish had to be 8-10lbs easy. Wouldn't doubt if it was more than 10 either. Before we could get it to the boat and onto a scale it shook its head and got the frog loose.

We spotted 2 dead Peacock Bass floating out there. Seems the cold got them. Peas don't do so well in the cold, and these seemed to have not made it.

The bass fishing out there isn't top notch right now, BUT it may be getting better and if the water drops to close to normal levels we should start seeing better reports.
The fish in those canals are all chunky. They have been eating well, that is for sure.

Thanks again Lou! Fun as usual!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
Re: MM41 Everglades 12/16/17
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »

Great job guys! I would of liked to have seen that monster mud! Glad you caught a few.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »

Thanks for the report Rick and sounds like y'all had a short but good day out there fishing together. ~c~ ~c~ It would of been nice if y'all coiuld of boated that big mud. I bet it was a blast fighting that thing.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »

Well guys, its been a long time since the last Alley report.  I'm sure there is lots of food out there for them to eat.  That mudfish must have torn up that frog pretty good.  They have such power.  Thanks for the report Rick. ~c~  Can't wait until a normal pattern starts in the glades, its been a long time.
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Canesfan

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »

Nice to see the water is receding and the fish are starting to bite.  Good job.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »

Thanks fellas!
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »

Thanks for the report Rick.
Here were the conditions:
Sunny
Winds from NE 5 mph
Temps: 65-80 degrees
Water temps: 60-65 degrees
Water clarity: clear 6ft visibility
Current: Running East
Side note: Lake O was 15.78ft

Rick pretty much summed it up. Morning was slow and then we had flurry of bites for a little while before they just quit. Caught 2 big mudfish and both fortunately became unbuttoned before they mangled my frog.
Water was up, but the fishing should be really turning on soon. This Spring should be REALLY  productive.
Rick as all ways, I had a blast.
Here are my pics:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:51:01 PM by Bassinlou »
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »

Sounds like a decent time out.

rchiuz

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 02:05:46 AM »

Nice!

What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:59 AM »

Looks like a fun day! ~c~

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 06:47:58 AM »

Question for Frogman Lou, what changes do you make to your frog fishing as the temperature drops? At what point do you abandoned frog fishing (if any)?

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »

Question for Frogman Lou, what changes do you make to your frog fishing as the temperature drops? At what point do you abandoned frog fishing (if any)?

Awesome question Flats!!

I made 2 key changes yesterday. Once I figured out that the fish were interested in the frog, I made quick notes on, where they were hitting and what speed I was using. The majority hits early in the morning were concentrated around clumps of vegetation with small pockets scattered around those clumps. Once in those pockets I would walk the frog in place at a very slow cadence, with short pauses in between. The hits were happening during the pause, and not when the frog was moving. Very important clue when frog fishing.
As the sun came up higher over the water and the temps moved from 63-65 degrees, a few of my hits occurred right in the open water as soon as the frog hit water. This was occurring in certain area and I failed to make the proper adjustment to maximize this situation. In retrospect, I now realize the fish were hanging around the bridges and openings around the bridges taking advantage of the current.  doh!!  ~b~ ~b~ .
Lastly, when do I abandon the frog? I abandon the frog, when I have exhausted all the tricks up my sleeve and the fish have provided me with 0 clues and I have had 0 hits over a long period of time. Only then do I put my frogging outfit away, and change tactics. I know its hard to believe because I love frog fishing soooo much  lo lo but, I admit there are days where frogs are not on the menu.

Side note tip: Just because conditions are not "typical" for a specific technique, it doesn't mean the technique will not work. Taking the frog in this example, here in South FL. The frog is an extremely versatile bait. Imho, many anglers have not given this bait its due diligence because they classify frog as a "condition specific" and/or "time specific" bait. Anglers are missing out on some very exciting fishing by not thinking outside the box on this bait.

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
  • (425)299-1861
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

Thanks for the report and pictures.  Sounds like a fun day.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »

Good story, glad you guys had a good time and caught a few.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 07:00:05 AM »

This was occurring in certain area and I failed to make the proper adjustment to maximize this situation. In retrospect, I now realize the fish were hanging around the bridges and openings around the bridges taking advantage of the current.  doh!!  ~b~ ~b~ .

Some days thereís a little voice in your head that tells you the right thing to do. Other days there isnít.
In this case there was a Sasquatch in the back of the boat saying, I think we should keep fishing this bridge area.

Though for some reason he had slim jims and not jack links. Hmmmmm weird.

Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »

Some days thereís a little voice in your head that tells you the right thing to do. Other days there isnít.
In this case there was a Sasquatch in the back of the boat saying, I think we should keep fishing this bridge area.

Though for some reason he had slim jims and not jack links. Hmmmmm weird.

Lol!!

Deadeye

• Ultimate Basser
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »

Sounds like a good day, glad you both got on fish.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.