that scream you heard...

Started by coldfront, December 18, 2017, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

was my debt free moment.  paid off last outstanding debt this morning at 10:39 AM.

Mortgage balance is now zero.  I am a home OWNER...

and boy did I struggle with this.  smart money says you can make more by investing.
I'm thinking with market at all time highs, the odds suggested I'd get better return near term converting to home equity.

at any rate.  it's done now.  right or wrong.

now I can save un-impeded for a new boat...   ~roflmao

analfisherman

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

coldfront

parlayed spoils of war (small investment account) from divorce in 2013 via LUCKY investments in risky ventures to grow to 400% of original (after taxes).

now, time to start all over again.  retirement is coming.

SFL BassHunter

~c~ ~c~  Congrats Coldfront.

My guess was going to be a Spider. But that's me. lol  ~roflmao
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Congratulations :toot:

I figure I'm always going to have a house note :'(

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Polaris425

That's a BIG step!! Congrats!!! Our's will be paid off in 15.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Lipripper

Congrats Coldfront  ~c~ ~c~ I still have about three years before mine in paid off. It would of been already but several years ago we took out a second mortgage and refinanced to help out our kids that needed help. That's what happens when you have kids.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Congratulations being debt free is a nice thing.

Quote from: Lipripper on December 18, 2017, 12:44:51 PM
Congrats Coldfront  ~c~ ~c~ I still have about three years before mine in paid off. It would of been already but several years ago we took out a second mortgage and refinanced to help out our kids that needed help. That's what happens when you have kids.  ;D
Ha I did the same thing I hope to have it done May 2021 I believe.

Lipripper

Quote from: SteveTX on December 18, 2017, 01:32:18 PM
Congratulations being debt free is a nice thing.
Ha I did the same thing I hope to have it done May 2021 I believe.
Yelp it's been a struggle at time but we will do just about anything for our kids.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

coldfront

thanks all.

one key moment in this all:  I will continue to save that money into a savings account with a 'target' number.  once a year, $$ over that target number will go to investments.

started on this over 10 years ago with my work raises going directly to a combination of savings and debt.  along the way I also maxed out, and continue to max out, my 401K contributions.

and I enjoy mac n cheese and ramen noodles a lot.  cheerios and raisin bran.  plus fresh fruit, steamed vegetables and grilled chicken and/or fish.  Learning to live like a college kid or a flat broke retired guy.

Practice for the real thing in a few years.  classic tale of the grasshopper and the ant.

bigjim5589

I know exactly what you mean. I depleted my 401 when I made my move to SC. But I now own my house & property out right as long as I pay my taxes. If we had tried to keep going back in MD, I would have likely depleted it anyway & had little to show for it. Sometimes you just have make choices!

I knew I may never have enough saved to retire on & not have to work, but as long as my health allows, I can always find ways to make enough money to keep things paid.

Yes sir, it's a struggle sometimes & we eat a lot more mac & cheese, pork & chicken now because we can't afford steak!  lo That's still better than not eating!  ;)

Our life is in the Lord's hands, and he's never let us down!  ;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

mygreenihc

Congratulations Coldfront!  My wife and are working toward this same goal,  so I understand all to well how difficult that accomplishment was to do.  You are inspiring to us all...

Brad

Captsteve

congratulations. figure I'll have house note the rest if my life. bought a new home 3 years ago. I'm 60 now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

coldfront

Quote from: mygreenihc on December 18, 2017, 02:01:55 PM
Congratulations Coldfront!  My wife and are working toward this same goal,  so I understand all to well how difficult that accomplishment was to do.  You are inspiring to us all...

Brad

has taken me over 30 years of living in houses to get to this point.  along the way there have been multiples.  this is number 4.

Pacific NW Ron

Congrats1  :) That is a good feeling.  We paid ours off several years ago and it's a big relief for sure.  Plus last year we qualified for a property tax exemption so don't even have that payment.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

coldfront

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on December 18, 2017, 03:03:30 PM
Congrats1  :) That is a good feeling.  We paid ours off several years ago and it's a big relief for sure.  Plus last year we qualified for a property tax exemption so don't even have that payment.
Ron

~c~

Donald Garner

CF, congrats  ~c~ ~c~  One day we will be debt (House Payment) free also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Kris

Congratulations there Homeowner!
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Bud Kennedy

Debt free is a good thing especially when you are retired.  Old house, old truck, old car, old boat and everything is paid for.  Congrats to you for paying off the house note.

gatorglenn

Congratulations, I will be there in 3 years. Only thing i have is the house and my new truck. 56 now and wanted to be done before 60. That when I get my pension from the National Guard. Ira's and maxing 401 it for 20 years. So I hope to do a whole lot of fishing LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 18, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
Debt free is a good thing especially when you are retired.  Old house, old truck, old car, old boat and everything is paid for.  Congrats to you for paying off the house note.

thanks bud.  as much as I was teasing you about going out and getting a boat to better fit your rods, I am about as FRUGAL as it gets when it comes to my pesos.

;D