Need some line suggestions

Started by pjl63, December 21, 2017, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjl63

Hi guys.  New here.  I'm a bank angler from upstate NY.  Primarily a largemouth guy.  I got back into fishing this year after several years away from the sport, and I decided to make the jump to baitcasting gear.  Taking advantage of the holiday sales and some refurbished items, I put together the following rod/reel kit for next year:

- Shimano Curado 70 on a St. Croix Mojo Bass 7' Med/Fast -- using this for plastics, lighter lures of all types
- Shimano Curado I on a Dobyns Savvy 735 -- using this for big jigs, cover, and small soft swimbaits
- 13 Fishing Inception on a Dobyns Savvy Micro 733 -- using this for some cranks, lipless cranks, spinnerbaits

My whole life I've used mono on my spinning rigs, but I've been taking a look into braided and fluorocarbon lines lately.  I'm leaning towards Sufix 832 or Berkley Pro Braid, and then running a leader (if necessary).  I'd appreciate any insight on line types and test poundage you'd recommend for my given setup.

Lipripper

Quote from: pjl63 on December 21, 2017, 03:49:36 PM
Hi guys.  New here.  I'm a bank angler from upstate NY.  Primarily a largemouth guy.  I got back into fishing this year after several years away from the sport, and I decided to make the jump to baitcasting gear.  Taking advantage of the holiday sales and some refurbished items, I put together the following rod/reel kit for next year:

- Shimano Curado 70 on a St. Croix Mojo Bass 7' Med/Fast -- using this for plastics, lighter lures of all types
- Shimano Curado I on a Dobyns Savvy 735 -- using this for big jigs, cover, and small soft swimbaits
- 13 Fishing Inception on a Dobyns Savvy Micro 733 -- using this for some cranks, lipless cranks, spinnerbaits

My whole life I've used mono on my spinning rigs, but I've been taking a look into braided and fluorocarbon lines lately.  I'm leaning towards Sufix 832 or Berkley Pro Braid, and then running a leader (if necessary).  I'd appreciate any insight on line types and test poundage you'd recommend for my given setup.
and to Ultimate Bass and glad to have  you here with us so make yourself right at  :)hsh:  I don't use Sufix 832 or Berkley Pro Braid so I can't tell you anything about them but AZI'm sure some of the other fellows around here might have used them.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pferox

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest start out with a spool of 12lb line like Berkeley Big Game, Ande Back Country, or something like that when starting out with the baitcasters.  After you have gone through the learning curve and mastered them then go up to a more specialized line.

For most people, there is a big learning curve with baitcasters and re-spooling more often is pretty common, and can get expensive with the higher priced lines.

If you want to try braid, then spool some 20 or 30 lb 832 or Power Pro on a spinning reel, this will allow you to learn the subtleties of braid without the backlash cost.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

WTodd

Ok here's a good starter list:
But a boat; at least 18' and doesn't matter if it's alum or glass
Buy a few more rods/reels so you can spool enough with braid, mono or fluoro
Need lots of new lures because bass are finicky
Get a good divorce attorney because the wifey won't be happy
Happy casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTodd

That should say BUY a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: pjl63 on December 21, 2017, 03:49:36 PM

30 lb braid
40lb braid
20 Senshi mono has a 12lb diameter though

Welcome to UB!!

Oldfart9999

Where in Upstate are You? I'm in Rochester.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

pjl63

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on December 22, 2017, 08:44:28 AM
Where in Upstate are You? I'm in Rochester.
Rodney
Just outside of Troy myself.  Stay safe in the storm coming through.

Smallie_Stalker

Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

All these suggestiopns are based on not knowing a damn thing about the types of cover you have and will fish. But its a guess.  lo
Quote- Shimano Curado 70 on a St. Croix Mojo Bass 7' Med/Fast -- using this for plastics, lighter lures of all types
30lb PowerPro braid
50lb PowerPro braid
30lb PowerPro braid or 17lb Original Stren Mono or 15lb Big Game Mono

Also Welcome to UB!!

I have a couple of those Savvy 735s Dang tough rods.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on December 22, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
All these suggestiopns are based on not knowing a damn thing about the types of cover you have and will fish. But its a guess.  lo
Also Welcome to UB!!

That will cover plenty

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 22, 2017, 06:42:01 PM
Hmmm.... those suggestions will cover a pretty good spectrum of cover.
I did say ,"its a guess."  ~roflmao

Capt. BassinLou

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 22, 2017, 06:43:48 PM
You got me before I edited... lmao. ;)
I just figured to me 40lb to 50lb is next to nothing but a gain in strength. The casting distance should be unnoticeable. And using a 735 he can frog or what ever with the bigger braid.

As for what you suggested on the 733 I was just offering lower cost solutions of mono that have a decent reputation in clear water use. If there is some stuff the 30lb braid is a option to me.

Princeton_Man

Welcome aboard! ~c~

I've tried the Suffix 832. I don't remember what my issues were with it, but I didn't choose to go with it. I prefer PowerPro and PowerPro Super Slick. For fluorocarbon, I mainly use Seagar Tatsu. Been very happy with both.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on December 22, 2017, 06:47:58 PM
I just figured to me 40lb to 50lb is next to nothing but a gain in strength. The casting distance should be unnoticeable. And using a 735 he can frog or what ever with the bigger braid.

As for what you suggested on the 733 I was just offering lower cost solutions of mono that have a decent reputation in clear water use. If there is some stuff the 30lb braid is a option to me.
Good suggetions. I agree.

pjl63

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on December 22, 2017, 04:17:18 PM
Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Thanks for the warm welcome!

pjl63

Quote from: SteveTX on December 22, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
Also Welcome to UB!!

I look forward to tossing some swimbaits and jigs with it next year. I also like how the Dobyns seem to have lower weight ratings for the power than other brands.

Those recommendations are pretty in line with a previous poster. I'm going to check them out. I also like the idea of going with mono for the 733 since I'm kind of wary about using a leader with the micro guides.  Right now I have some Sufix Seige 17# spooled on it that I had lying around.

SteveTX

Quote from: pjl63 on December 22, 2017, 10:35:33 PM
I look forward to tossing some swimbaits and jigs with it next year. I also like how the Dobyns seem to have lower weight ratings for the power than other brands.

Those recommendations are pretty in line with a previous poster. I'm going to check them out. I also like the idea of going with mono for the 733 since I'm kind of wary about using a leader with the micro guides.  Right now I have some Sufix Seige 17# spooled on it that I had lying around.
Yeah any leader would have to be outside the eyes. A fairly short one for easy casting.
I can say without a doubt the 17lb Stren is quite strong. It's what BamaBass uses a lot unless he changed recently. Check his YouTube channel for some healthy toads he pulls in on it.
I'm not a leader guy at all. I pick my line, braid almost always, and I go fishing. Never ever had a fish tell me, "I saw your line  but figured what the hell."  ROFL

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: pjl63 on December 22, 2017, 10:35:33 PM
Right now I have some Sufix Seige 17# spooled on it that I had lying around.

Suffix is pretty good mono as well. Good luck with your setups. Let us know how the suggestions worked out for you when you get out to fish.

zippyduck

For your area my suggestions would be.

15# copoly for light plastics.

50# braid for the 735

12# copoly for the 733

I use P-line flouroclear

And powerpro original braid

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"