Boat Trailer Renovation

Started by Bud Kennedy, December 24, 2017, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I am in need of a complete renovation of my Ranger Trail boat trailer.  The trailer is 27 years old and has its share of issues.  Of course all the bunks need replaced, the Axle/Hub system need replaced, the disk brakes need replaced and of course the entire trailer needs to be refinished. 

This is work I need to have someone do and that someone won't be me.  Or maybe I should just think about buying an entire new trailer.  I have no idea if ranger will sell just a trailer to fit my old boat or maybe even make one that is exactly like the one I now have. 

Does anyone have any experience trying to buy a replacement boat trailer?  There are several around the coast that builds custom boat trailers and I may give them a call.

Kris

I replaced the trailer on my old 1978 Ranger with a Load Rite galvanized trailer. The trailer was sized and set up by the dealer and they did a really nice job. Not as fancy or eye appealing as a custom trailer but I believe it was cheaper. definitely reliable and as far as I know the trailer is still out there somewhere even if the boat has seen its last tournament.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Mike Cork

It would be a lot of work to take on a task like that. However if you had a place indoors, it could be accomplished in a couple weeks for sure. I have no idea what the cost on that would be. I know how much brakes and rotors will run you but not axles (are they bent?)

sanding and painting the frame just sux and I wouldn't want to do it either. Bunks are not bad, if replacing just line up the holes, redrill, carpet and install. The challenge with bunks is what to do with the boat while doing them.

Good luck in your quest, please keep us posted in your retrailer efforts. I am very curious what's out there

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

I have no interest in attempting a renovation myself.  I have checked out multiple trailer builders for potential sources but most are closed for business until Jan 3 or so.  No hurry for me but I really believe that a replacement trailer would be the best fit for me.  Now All I have to do is find one I want and can afford.

Wizard

Bud, I did the trailer redo at age 60. The hard part is where to put the boat. I put the boat in the slip at the condo while I worked on the trailer.

I took out the bunks and sanded or used stripper/ sanded the trailer. Next was a rust inhibitor and light sand. (1 day)

Painted the trailer twice with a spray gun, let dry, and sprayed a tough clear coat. The paint dealer can pick the rust inhibitor and clear coat you need. Tell him it will not be cured in a heat booth. ( 2 days)

Put new hubs on the wheels, took off corrosion from the wheels and cleared them. New tires on the wheels. New bow strap. ( 1 day )

Cut new bunk boards and carpeted them. Put them on the boat and reinstalled anything left.  ( 1 day)

Checked the lighting and made sure everything worked. I put the boat on the trailer and decided to move a bunk hoard slightly. (.5 day ) I did not have brakes on the single axle trailer.

The process was pretty easy and the most expense was for the tires. I work slow. Most could get it done faster. Make sure you buy a couple of cans of Liquid Wrench.

Wizard

Bud Kennedy

About 5 or 6 years ago I decided to re carpet the trailer bunks.  At that time we had our place at Santee and was able to beach the boat while I worked on the trailer.  Removed all of the bunks that then required to replace all of the threaded hardware due to rust.  You are right.  The liquid wrench was a must.  While it was not a bad job to do it is something that now i would not try because currently I have no place to put the boat.  The bunk job I could do in one day but a renovation would take this old man a lot of time to do it right.  You know how us old guys are.  You do it right or don't do it at all.  I guess that is just how we roll.

My biggest problem now is that I think I have a disk brake that is not releasing fully so that will be my first target until I can get this trailer replaced.  I would actually consider another ranger trailer if they are available.

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 28, 2017, 07:51:48 AMI would actually consider another ranger trailer if they are available.

might try contacting them directly.  suspect they may have a trailer replacement.
don't they build them at the factory?

Bud Kennedy

I plan on doing exactly that.  Like most other folks they are closed through the holidays.  Should be able to get them on the phone on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.  It sure would make the process better to insure that I was able to get a trailer that actually was made for this model.

fishandkamp

Bud you are around tidal water like me.  You might be better off looking at a Load Rite Aluminum bass boat trailer.  Several of the guys around here run Venture Aluminum's and load Rite galvanized and aluminum trailers. You go to one of their local dealers and order it the way you want it. They custom fit it to your needs.
Tuesday. I am going to several local marine trailer dealers and will be looking at several options. I only need  a 2200 or 2400 pound single axle trailer (with no brakes) as I have an aluminum bass boat that weighs about 1800 pounds loaded.  I want some factory options though. It will have the Fulton swing away tongue added. I want front capture bunks, side boards, u bolt mounted galvanized L brackets to mount new Boat Buckles, Radial tires as I haul long distances at highway speeds, LED lights, and the "quick slide" bunk covers ( they make a trailer go on and off so easy.

It looks like you have a certified dealer here. Its about 30 miles north of North Myrtle Beach on Rt 17.
ANGLERS MARINE 748 OCEAN HIGHWAY WEST SUPPLY NC 28462. you also have some other trailer supply places  nearby as well.

Bud Kennedy

I have been looking at the load rite trailers online for a while.  They look like they can get the job done.  Looking forward to speaking with them after the holiday.

coldfront

quick question Bud:  what are you thinking about regarding the old trailer?  where to take it, what to do with it?

Bud Kennedy

Not really sure what to do with the old one.  Probably offer if for sale at a very good deal price and if no one wants it I will probably try to junk it somewhere.  The trailer is basically ok but will need some stuff to be trustworthy with a boat.  Definitely new brakes and maybe new hubs.  I think the axel is still good but not totally sure.  Some bunks would need replaced and re carpeted but the lighting is good and the frame appears to be still good.  Could use a new jack up front.  If I was a younger man I would restore it but I just don't want to fool with it.

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 31, 2017, 10:30:54 AM
Not really sure what to do with the old one.  Probably offer if for sale at a very good deal price and if no one wants it I will probably try to junk it somewhere.  The trailer is basically ok but will need some stuff to be trustworthy with a boat.  Definitely new brakes and maybe new hubs.  I think the axel is still good but not totally sure.  Some bunks would need replaced and re carpeted but the lighting is good and the frame appears to be still good.  Could use a new jack up front.  If I was a younger man I would restore it but I just don't want to fool with it.

been looking, thinking about this.  just checked out Veterans of America.  MIght be an option for me.

fishandkamp

Hey Bud I did my homework and looked at a bunch of trailer manufacturers available up north here. I chose the galvanized Elite series trailer for me. My boat is only a 17 1/2 foot aluminum so that fit my needs well once I decided on my options. I added side boards, the 2 foot trailer tongue extension piece and the swing tongue kit,new SS Boat Buckles, the factory quick slide bunk coverings etc.  The Elite series comes with LED lights, a torsion axle and radial tires.
Take a series look at both their bass boat series and their aluminum trailers as well. Those both look good with aluminum wheels too. I did not do them myself, just to keep my cost down somewhere.

Bud Kennedy

It looks like I have finally found someone to build me a new trailer.  I had contacted many well known trailer companies including speaking with Ranger.  The result was that no one seems to build a product or willing to build a product that is equal to my existing Ranger Trail trailer.   

Terry G. mentioned to me that he had encountered a trailer builder in Charleston that could do the job.  I contacted Charleston Trailer and quickly was impressed that they truly cared that I get a quality product that was custom fit to my boat.  The new trailer has all the stuff on it as my existing trailer.  I wanted disc brakes and 15" radial tires and a load carrying capacity of 5000lb.  The trailer is a bunk trailer and is all aluminum with stainless steel hardware, heavy duty torsion axle.  I think we are on the right track.  Cost is projected to be about $3400.  The business owner is coming to Myrtle Beach this weekend and is going to stop by and do some measurements on my boat while he is in town if time allows.  Since it is winter the current build time is just about two weeks after we sign the deal.  I am excited about the possibilities of a new trailer.

fishandkamp

That is awesome Bud. I can not wait till my new trailer arrives in 2 to 3 weeks.
Meanwhile I had my foot surgery yesterday, so here I sit with my foot elevated and the Oxy is my friend right now!

You and I both live near tidal or part salt water so the Aluminum or galvanized makes the most sense.
What type of hubs will it have? Mine has the Sure Lube type grease able hubs, but did go with that type or the Vortex type lubricated hubs? 

Oldfart9999

Good deal Bud, another problem resolved!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Here are a few of the trailer details.  Still a few more things to work out but these are the basics.

5 yr. limited warranty from Charleston Trailer LLC, 5 yr. torsion axle warranty. and lifetime frame warranty (aluminum defects only).
Trailer equipped with:
Aluminum I-beam frame
Aluminum cross-members
Carpeted wood rear bunks
Synthetic target bunks
Aluminum tube-style brackets
Stainless steel hardware (including u-bolts) 6000 lb torsion axle with removable spindles
12" Kodiak disc brakes
15" radial tire with galvanized rims Aluminum fenders
Aluminum side guides with PVC Aluminum tongue
Two-speed winch
Drop-leg jack
LED lighting

Oldfart9999

Sounds like a really nice trailer Bud!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.