how would you pair these rods and reels

Started by 05kas05, December 27, 2017, 01:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05kas05

looking for some suggestions on how to best pair these rods and reels, also if you don't mind what would you use each for.
any info or help is appreciated

reels           brand             mdl#           gear ratio             IPT
1.               lews             cg1shl               7.5.1                 30
2.               lews             tpg1hl               6.8.1                 28
3.               lews             lgg1hl               6.8.1                 27

rods
4.     abu garcia        veritas       vtsc70-6       7'0  medium heavy                    1/4-1 oz lure 12-20lb line
5.     st croix            mojo bass   mjc68mhf     6'8" medium heavy  fast action   3/8-1oz lure 12-20lb line
6.     st croix            mojo bass   mjc71mhf     7'1" medium heavy  fast action    3/8-1oz lure  12-20lb line

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 27, 2017, 01:49:52 PM
looking for some suggestions on how to best pair these rods and reels, also if you don't mind what would you use each for.
any info or help is appreciated

reels           brand             mdl#           gear ratio             IPT
1.               lews             cg1shl               7.5.1                 30
2.               lews             tpg1hl               6.8.1                 28
3.               lews             lgg1hl               6.8.1                 27

rods
4.     abu garcia        veritas       vtsc70-6       7'0  medium heavy                    1/4-1 oz lure 12-20lb line
5.     st croix            mojo bass   mjc68mhf     6'8" medium heavy  fast action   3/8-1oz lure 12-20lb line
6.     st croix            mojo bass   mjc71mhf     7'1" medium heavy  fast action    3/8-1oz lure  12-20lb line

Welcome to Ultimate Bass. Take a moment an introduce yourself. What part of the country are you from, and what areas are you fishing? The answers to these questions will help narrow down the suggestions.

05kas05

i live in austin tx, i'm just kayak fishing the local lakes and ponds in my area. the average depths vary but i would say im normally in the 1-45ft range. most of the time im just beating the banks and looking for cover to fish around with a weightless senko or a texas rigged worm or craw. i want to learn how to fish open water better.

i have been using the 6'8 rod paired with the 7.5.1 reel as sort of an all around setup
but i am looking to get a little more involved with other techniques
id like to learn
jigs/chatterbaits
spinnerbaits/buzz baits
i just got a couple of regular and  poppin pad crashers and a spro bbz-1 rat 40 i want to play around with
i acquired these rods and reels and would like to put them to use for one or more of these techniques if possible if not i might try to sell or trade to get something better suited for the above. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 27, 2017, 02:46:58 PM
i live in austin tx, i'm just kayak fishing the local lakes and ponds in my area. the average depths vary but i would say im normally in the 1-45ft range. most of the time im just beating the banks and looking for cover to fish around with a weightless senko or a texas rigged worm or craw. i want to learn how to fish open water better.

i have been using the 6'8 rod paired with the 7.5.1 reel as sort of an all around setup
but i am looking to get a little more involved with other techniques
id like to learn
jigs/chatterbaits
spinnerbaits/buzz baits
i just got a couple of regular and  poppin pad crashers and a spro bbz-1 rat 40 i want to play around with
i acquired these rods and reels and would like to put them to use for one or more of these techniques if possible if not i might try to sell or trade to get something better suited for the above.

I appreciate you taking the time and introducing yourself. I also saw you introduced yourself on the other board as well.
There are several UB members from Texas active on here. They should be along shortly and walk you through your setup options. You came to the right place. Give the site a chance and your bass fishing skills will improve in no time. Good luck!! 

SteveTX

To me its pretty much irrelevant what ones you pair up. Your really not looking at a situation here where any one rod is going to provide a technique specific enough that any of the reels are going to make a noticeable difference. I guess this is what I would do. The white reel on the white rod so you look nice. ::)
veritas       vtsc70-6  lews             cg1shl
These are really a preference only you can decide but I like the longer rod on paper so what ever is my reel I like to use more, it would be on that rod. Why? Because I will be using it more so I want what is more comfortable or a pleasure to fish with on the rod I am using the most.
mojo bass   mjc68mhf  lews             tpg1hl
mojo bass   mjc71mhf   lews             lgg1hl 

If you look at the specs of these rods and reels are very similar. There really is so little difference other than the 7.5 gear reel I wouldn't say there was a right or wrong way to pair them up. If you can feel one of the rods seems to have a little more back bone I guess you could say it might be a ever so slightly better choice for the cg1shl. But even then that is just my preference. You have a nice stack of MH rods and some nice reels string them up and fish.   ;D

05kas05

Stevetx, thanks for your thoughts.

I understand what your saying about them not being much different.

so
I will be using the cg1shl 7.5.1 reel on the jig and worm rod as it has more back bone for getting the fish out of cover so i will use it for my jigs and weightless/weighted tx rigs and
I will use the lews tpg1hl 6.8.1 0n the jig and bait rod as an all around do everything rod for now.

The veritas and the lgg1hl reel (christmas gifts) will be going back to academy tomorrow for store credit so once i figure out which bait/technique i want to learn next i can get some specific gear for it when that time comes. 

you have given me something to ponder so now back to research and learning,thanks again

zippyduck

The only suggestion is to put the cg1shl on the 7'1" Mojo bass and use that for your jigs and T-rigs.
And use the tpg1hl on the 6'8" mojo for senkos and flukes
The other setup for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and buzzbaits.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

analfisherman

Quote from: zippyduck on December 27, 2017, 10:09:42 PM
The only suggestion is to put the cg1shl on the 7'1" Mojo bass and use that for your jigs and T-rigs.

My thoughts exactly!

In fact, if I was out shopping for technique specific setup for those techniques.......that's what I'd be looking for!
Also good for weightless worms and even weightless oir weighted Flukes.
Good for Flipping trees and lay downs or any 'light' cover.

HECK.......this would PROBABLY be my 'all around do everything rod for now'.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

cport

If you are going to throw those pad crashers with something, I would pair up the longest rod (cast farther) and either the fastest reel to get them out of cover quicker or the tpg1hl if it casts farther than the cg1shl; either would work fine for frogging because they both have aluminum one-piece frames for that heavy cover. I would not use the carbon-framed lgg1hl for that; since it is the lightest reel you may want to use that for moving baits (spinner and chatter baits) with the 6'8" rod in open water.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

cport

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 27, 2017, 09:36:00 PM

The veritas and the lgg1hl reel (christmas gifts) will be going back to academy tomorrow for store credit so once i figure out which bait/technique i want to learn next i can get some specific gear for it when that time comes. 

you have given me something to ponder so now back to research and learning,thanks again

After re-reading your post, I just noticed you are returning the Veritas and the lgg1hl, so ignore what I said in the last sentence of my post. I see that the Veritas will get you around 90 to 100 dollars back, and around 140-150 for the reel. May I recommend the Omen 2 Black 7'3" heavy for frogging? Its in the same price range and the Omen I have (7'1" M) for fluke fishing is a really great rod for the money. Also, you may want to look at the Curado K (CU200XGK) for that too, a little more than the Lews you are trading in, but it is a stout reel, great drag, and casts a mile. The 8.5:1 ropes in an amazing 36" per turn.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

05kas05

Quote from: analfisherman on December 28, 2017, 08:51:32 AM
My thoughts exactly!

In fact, if I was out shopping for technique specific setup for those techniques.......that's what I'd be looking for!
Also good for weightless worms and even weightless oir weighted Flukes.
Good for Flipping trees and lay downs or any 'light' cover.

HECK.......this would PROBABLY be my 'all around do everything rod for now'.

(i deeply apologize guys for asking so many newb questions i really am just trying to get the best uses out of what i already have so please bare with me)

instead of asking what reels to pair with what rods i should have asked what lures go better with which rods and reels.

so we have the 7'1" rod with the 7.5.1 reel for jigs,t-rigs,weighted/unweighted worms and flukes
that covers about 90% of my fishing now so thats great

so if i pair the 6'8" rod with the 6.8.1 reel (tpg1hl) what would be the best lure of choice for this set up, what would you fish with it , or am i better of selling it also and looking into a different setup?

and the other combo went back this morning so i will be looking to purchase a rod for frogs and throwing my bbz-1 40 rat i just got,
   cport, i will look into that rod and reel thanks for the advice, any one else have other suggestions for a frog/rat rod.
thank you all again for the help it is truly appreciated 

basss

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 28, 2017, 11:26:20 AM
(i deeply apologize guys for asking so many newb questions i really am just trying to get the best uses out of what i already have so please bare with me)

No worries, at one time none of us knew how and what to fish when.  I've only been a member of this site for less than a year and I've learned so much (don't forget to enter the contests).  I used to do the same, buy gear then think about how/where to best use it.  What I've learn is to first think about how/where you fish; THEN buy gear to match that.  It does require more patience because you have to learn what works best with how and what you fish.

I started with a few ugly sticks and cheap reels ... now I have Dobyns, Abu's, Omen, and other similar rods and Daiwa, Lews, Abu, and Shimano reels ... all paired for specific purposes.  I can now talk to gear ratios, rod power, line usage, and much more.

Stick around and you'll learn quite a bit.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

analfisherman

Quote from: basss on December 28, 2017, 03:50:36 PM
No worries, at one time none of us knew how and what to fish when.  I've only been a member of this site for less than a year and I've learned so much (don't forget to enter the contests).  I used to do the same, buy gear then think about how/where to best use it.  What I've learn is to first think about how/where you fish; THEN buy gear to match that.  It does require more patience because you have to learn what works best with how and what you fish.

I started with a few ugly sticks and cheap reels ... now I have Dobyns, Abu's, Omen, and other similar rods and Daiwa, Lews, Abu, and Shimano reels ... all paired for specific purposes.  I can now talk to gear ratios, rod power, line usage, and much more.

Stick around and you'll learn quite a bit.

~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Well said basss!!!!!!!

05kas05
There are anglers on here that have been fishing for 20-30 years and just this year figured out the best (for them) reels and rods.....simply from the forum Pro Staff (MEMBERS) and posts like yours!

KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING!!!!

basss

Quote from: analfisherman on December 28, 2017, 07:40:31 PM
j
Well said basss!!!!!!!

Thank you sir.

Didn't realize how much I 've learned since I've joined this site till I started listing just some of what I've learned so far.  Didn't get into hooks, knots, seasons, points, wind, and a thousand other things that can be used to target bass 
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

05kas05

ok so i took back the rod and reel and was able to get cash back instead of store credit so I ended up going to cabelas to see what i could find since academy doesn't have a great selection. (mistake #1)  :)

i ended up grabbing a dobyns sierra 735c i figured i could use this for throwing my popping pad crasher frogs, the 40 series spro bbz-1 rat, some heavier 3/4oz jigs i have and most likely my 2 whopper popper 110's . so now im looking to pick up a reel for this rod
I was looking at the new curado k in 8.5.1 or ? are there any other reels you guys would recommend i look at in this price range ? it needs to be a left hand model so any info is appreciated.

i decide on keeping my tpg1hl 6.8.1 on my 7"1" rod as it is more comfortable for me and it casts really well so this will be the do all rod for now until i get some more cash saved up.
I will be passing my lews cg1shl and the jig and worm rod to my nephew so he can start learning how to use a bait caster.

zippyduck

You will really like the Sierra 735. you will be able to use that for as small as 1/4oz. jigs with a trailer and chatterbaits along with all of the techniques you mentioned.

D.W. Verts

My first two years serious bass fishin' my only combo was a Zebco 33 (with a power handle added, of course) on a Bass Pro Shops 5' 6" MH pistol grip that they called a "Mean Green Stick". I caught countless fish up to 6-1/2 pounds, using top waters, worms, spinnerbaits etc. That 33 GULPED the line at probably 13" per revolution.

How did I ever get by?

Not trying to be smart (it would be impossible) but it seems to me that we're creating a generation of over-thinkers. It's just not that hard.

Agree? I'll put Mr. Smarty-Pants away now.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

D.W.,
I remember those days very well spinning reels and all the sticks felt like sticks And the heavy low profile baitcaters.
The rods now a days have come a long way. Many buit with specific techniques in mind. Can they be used for other applications, heck ya. Using them for their intended use almost always give you an advantage whether its feel or keeping fish pinned.

analfisherman

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 30, 2017, 10:13:44 PM

How did I ever get by?

Not trying to be smart (it would be impossible) but it seems to me that we're creating a generation of over-thinkers. It's just not that hard.

You TALKING TO ME!  8)

DW, you forgot to tell us,
"And I had to walk 3 miles to the pond in my brothers hand-me-down Converse Sneakers...UPHILL.....both ways!"

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 30, 2017, 10:13:44 PM

How did I ever get by?

DW I agree, with what your saying here, I would love to input my thoughts on this particular topic as well but these points will hijack the OP's thread. The sport of  bass fishing has changed a lot over the years that's for sure.

05kas05

Quote from: zippyduck on December 30, 2017, 09:52:15 PM
You will really like the Sierra 735. you will be able to use that for as small as 1/4oz. jigs with a trailer and chatterbaits along with all of the techniques you mentioned.

thanks for the reply,  i think i have it narrowed down to two rods and reels that should cover me on the fishing that i do now, i want to narrow it down 2 rods so its easier to mange in my kayak.

1.dobyns SA735c paired with a new lews SDG1XHLF

2.dobyns SA703C paired with my lews TPG1HL  (need to do a little more research but also also looking at the 733c and 734c sierra) this will be for weightless and weighted 1/8/-3/16 oz wacky rigged senkos/texas rigs, flukes, beavers/craws. maybe some lipless 1/2 oz red eye shads and 3/8 oz spinner baits

SteveTX

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 31, 2017, 04:36:08 PM
thanks for the reply,  i think i have it narrowed down to two rods and reels that should cover me on the fishing that i do now, i want to narrow it down 2 rods so its easier to mange in my kayak.

1.dobyns SA735c paired with a new lews SDG1XHLF

2.dobyns SA703C paired with my lews TPG1HL  (need to do a little more research but also also looking at the 733c and 734c sierra) this will be for weightless and weighted 1/8/-3/16 oz wacky rigged senkos/texas rigs, flukes, beavers/craws. maybe some lipless 1/2 oz red eye shads and 3/8 oz spinner baits
I have a Super Duty on one of my Savvy 735 rods. Its awesome. I can say it is a beast of a setup.

zippyduck

The Sierra 734 is a special rod. Lots of tip action for casting light baits and lots of backbone to set hook and wrench fish out of cover.
I love throwing spinnerbaits and weightless senkos with it.

basss

Quote from: 05kas05 on December 31, 2017, 04:36:08 PM
...  (need to do a little more research but also also looking at the 733c and 734c sierra) this will be for weightless and weighted 1/8/-3/16 oz wacky rigged senkos/texas rigs, flukes, beavers/craws. maybe some lipless 1/2 oz red eye shads and 3/8 oz spinner baits

Would go for the 734 if it will be doing double duty, the 733 if it is just for senkos, flukes, and craws.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider