Healthy Living (stay strong my friends)

Started by SFL BassHunter, December 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 02, 2018, 06:06:26 PM
Well Lip, lots of folks eventually get their appetite back after going through what you've been through, but it can sometimes take a while.
That's what the doctors keep telling me but till that happens I got to keep making myself eat.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 02, 2018, 02:17:25 PM
Up until my mid thirties I weighed between 170 and 180 and despite a messed up back managed to work out 3 - 4 days a week. Now I fight a seemingly never ending battle to stay below 300. Being married to a woman who can COOOOOK, a sedentary lifestyle that often involves grabbing fast food on the go and my two biggest downfalls soda and chips and it's not hard to see why I am here.

I don't make New Year's resolutions. My recent diagnosis however has motivated me to get started on the road to a healthier,  stronger me.

We can all keep each other motivated here.  Seeing other members make progress will be very encouraging in our own struggles whatever they may be for each of us.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

I've never been thin, or average for that matter. I have always been on the heavy side, but several years ago it got real bad and I put on more weight. You're right we can all help each other out!
It's not easy to cut Soda out. I used to drink soda every day. It is one of the first things I cut out when I go on a diet, and it takes will power to do it. The sugar is an addiction. One of the ways I manage to stay off the soda is not buying it at home. When I eat out I order tea instead. Not the flavored raspberry tea stuff, but actual sweetened tea.
Today I went to KFC for lunch. I ordered grilled chicken, and corn. It came with a soda, I went over and mixed half a cup of sweet tea with unsweetened tea. It isn't as yummy as soda but it tastes better than water. The rest of my day I drink water. Lots of it.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks that's a good tip Rick. I actually like unsweetened green tea so I'm gonna try that instead of soda with some of my meals. 
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 02, 2018, 08:14:56 PM
Thanks that's a good tip Rick. I actually like unsweetened green tea so I'm gonna try that instead of soda with some of my meals.
Perfect, and did you know that Green tea speeds up your metabolism?

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

I did. And it is also full of antioxidants. Lots of positives to drinking it.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 02, 2018, 08:58:57 PM
I did. And it is also full of antioxidants. Lots of positives to drinking it.
Yup good stuff! I need to get back into the habit of drinking it. I just never liked the taste much.
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

I like the fizz rather than the taste of soda. So when I sometimes just get sick and tired of the same stuff, I grab a soda water.

I've also driven around town gulping some sparkling grape juice from the bottle just for the funny looks I'd get. Until someone called the cops.

Bassun67

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 02, 2018, 08:14:56 PM
I actually like unsweetened green tea so I'm gonna try that instead of soda with some of my meals.

Unsweetened tea is good. Green tea is better. "Whole leaf" green tea is the best. For "whole leaf" tea, it refers to traditional Chinese tea that the leaf itself would expand to its original shape after adding boiling water.

Of course, water is the best of the best.

I gave up sugary drinks (sugary soda, artificial-sweetener soda, bottled juice) a few years ago. This step has made huge positive impacts (lost 13 lb, no more inflammation in my joints and unknown muscle pain...) on my life.

wish you all the best in the new year.

SFL BassHunter

Thanks bassun67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bassun67 on January 03, 2018, 07:41:19 AM
Unsweetened tea is good. Green tea is better. "Whole leaf" green tea is the best. For "whole leaf" tea, it refers to traditional Chinese tea that the leaf itself would expand to its original shape after adding boiling water.

Of course, water is the best of the best.

I gave up sugary drinks (sugary soda, artificial-sweetener soda, bottled juice) a few years ago. This step has made huge positive impacts (lost 13 lb, no more inflammation in my joints and unknown muscle pain...) on my life.

wish you all the best in the new year.

So true. We have three adults in the house and we go through 3 - 5 cases of water a week. Unfortunately for me that has been my third favorite thing to drink up until recently. I am working on getting it to the top of the list though.

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 04, 2018, 03:13:12 PM
So true. We have three adults in the house and we go through 3 - 5 cases of water a week. Unfortunately for me that has been my third favorite thing to drink up until recently. I am working on getting it to the top of the list though.
Is that water you buy from the store? We have a filtered tank like thing that looks like a big coffee brewer that we fill up with tap water and it filters all the bad stuff out and when the bottom starts getting empty just fill up the top part again and start all over. It beats paying for bottled water from the store.

Smallie_Stalker

Yeah bottled water. My niece has one of those filters on her fawcett but to be honest we don't care for the way the water tastes. Still got some of that "city pipe" taste to it and she changes her filters regularly. It could just be the brand she uses, I don't know for sure.

We've got 5 major supermarket chains stores within a less than 10 minute driving distance so we can usually find the bottled water on sale at one or more of them during any given week.

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 04, 2018, 05:27:58 PM
Yeah bottled water. My niece has one of those filters on her fawcett but to be honest we don't care for the way the water tastes. Still got some of that "city pipe" taste to it and she changes her filters regularly. It could just be the brand she uses, I don't know for sure.

We've got 5 major supermarket chains stores within a less than 10 minute driving distance so we can usually find the bottled water on sale at one or more of them during any given week.
The one we use we can't taste city pipe taste at all and we have been using ours for over a year and Cicero has bad tasting water.

SFL BassHunter

I have one of these Brita containers.
https://www.target.com/p/brita-174-grand-water-pitcher-white-10-cups/-/A-10027805?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Appliances_Food%20Dehydrators&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9011857&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI__WUqp_B2AIVlLXACh2jhQGLEAYYBiABEgIaGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

All you have to do is replace the filter from time to time. Save a lot of money on water. I buy bottled water, but only use it when I am going to go fishing or on a trip or something like that. At home I drink strictly tap water. I think these filters do a good job of getting that "pipe" flavor out.
Florida Bass Fishing

DonM

I've been reading this from the start, but haven't jumped in.  However, I am with the program again.
I had lost 50 pounds in the past two years, after heart surgery, but then in the past three months managed to put most of it back on.
1/1/18 I weighed 290.  Today 282, so that's a really good start.  I am 6'5" so can carry 250 or so pretty easily so that's the goal. 
I'm a musician and work every night at the finest high-end Supper Club in the area.  Owner feeds me every night at 10:30, and it is hard to resist.
Now, he is with the plan, so cooking healthier things and smaller portions for me.
I will reach 270 by spring, and 250 by this time next year.  Piece of cake!  No wait, make that a piece of fruit!  :)

DonM

Lipripper

You can do it Don.  ~bb
Well I need to try and eat more. I got on the scale and I have dropped down to 186.5 lbs. it's had to eat when you don't get hungry and nothing has any taste.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DonM on January 05, 2018, 05:40:50 PM
I've been reading this from the start, but haven't jumped in.  However, I am with the program again.
I had lost 50 pounds in the past two years, after heart surgery, but then in the past three months managed to put most of it back on.
1/1/18 I weighed 290.  Today 282, so that's a really good start.  I am 6'5" so can carry 250 or so pretty easily so that's the goal. 
I'm a musician and work every night at the finest high-end Supper Club in the area.  Owner feeds me every night at 10:30, and it is hard to resist.
Now, he is with the plan, so cooking healthier things and smaller portions for me.
I will reach 270 by spring, and 250 by this time next year.  Piece of cake!  No wait, make that a piece of fruit!  :)

You'll make it! As long as you start to eat healthier meals weight will come off. Stick with it Don! Hope to see you at 250 by this time next year!
Florida Bass Fishing

D.W. Verts

There's always a million things that get in the way of getting in shape. Lord knows I've had my share lately. Anyway, tomorrow I start a weight-training program. Soon to be combined with some cardio. Gonna get better.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SFL BassHunter

Dale tomorrow I start weight training with my brother 3 times a week again. First step to getting active. Seeing about doing that Tue-Thu then adding cardio after starting with 30 min on the recumbent bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

First week in.
Looks like I actually gained a pound. But I don't consider this a fail.
First off, I've been working on my portion sizes. Been eating to satisfaction instead of gluttony, also been paying attention to the quality of what I eat. Been drinking more water, unsweet tea, and black coffee.
Part of the problem is... I didn't tell Connie. So she's still trying to cook for a king while I'm over here trying to eat like a peasant!

I've had one big step so far towards better health!
I've already gone from 1.5 packs per day to 1 pack per day.

Lipripper

Y'all can do it and SHC that's a good start on cutting down on your smoking. It's not easy but don't give up you can do it.

SteelHorseCowboy

Way I figure it, I'm already working towards better habits, so better results and health will follow!
One week is just barely enough time to crap out all the junk that was eaten the week before, so I ain't worried about the weight loss. Without going to extremes, it can sometimes take up to a month to start seeing some encouraging results.

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 08, 2018, 12:24:54 PM
Way I figure it, I'm already working towards better habits, so better results and health will follow!
One week is just barely enough time to crap out all the junk that was eaten the week before, so I ain't worried about the weight loss. Without going to extremes, it can sometimes take up to a month to start seeing some encouraging results.
Yelp it takes time to get all that junk out of your system. after all it took awhile to get that way it didn't happen overnight.  ;D

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 08, 2018, 07:17:13 AM
First week in.
Looks like I actually gained a pound. But I don't consider this a fail.
First off, I've been working on my portion sizes. Been eating to satisfaction instead of gluttony, also been paying attention to the quality of what I eat. Been drinking more water, unsweet tea, and black coffee.
Part of the problem is... I didn't tell Connie. So she's still trying to cook for a king while I'm over here trying to eat like a peasant!

I've had one big step so far towards better health!
I've already gone from 1.5 packs per day to 1 pack per day.

I have done the up and down battle with my weight for a while now. One thing to keep in mind is that it's not all about the scale, it's more about the waistline. If you are strength training you can actually gain some weight while your pants size and gut stat to go down because muscle is more dense than fat. It eventually equals itself out but in the beginning it can be that way.  :-*

SFL BassHunter

Work outs start back up today. Need to get used to it again so it becomes routine instead of feeling like a hassle.
Florida Bass Fishing