Healthy Living (stay strong my friends)

Started by SFL BassHunter, December 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

So as I mentioned over on the Resolution thread that Dale posted in Dock Talk, I think it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to weight loss and getting healthy. Many of us have let ourselves go and some of us just want to get into even better shape. One thing is for sure, it is NOT an easy task.
This thread is for motivation and accountability.

Starting Jan 1st 2018:

-I will weigh myself on the 1st (Complete)
-I will start tracking my weight weekly
-I will eat smaller portions starting with 3/4 of what I currently eat
-I will cut out bad carbs like Bread and Rice
-I will eat a veggie side, or a salad side with at least 1 meal a day
-I will go to the doctor for a checkup in January and get his approval to work out

I think these are all reasonable goals for the start of the year. Once I weigh myself I will come up with my weight loss goal for the year or maybe break the weight loss goal up into Quarters instead. Not sure yet.

How about you guys and girls? Remember make them attainable goals, so you have greater chance of success!   ~bb
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Very cool Rick!! Accountability is a key first step.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 28, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
Very cool Rick!! Accountability is a key first step.
Yup, it sure is!

How about you Lou? No health goals for next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 29, 2017, 05:34:08 AM
Yup, it sure is!

How about you Lou? No health goals for next year?

Yeah, I have a couple.

SteelHorseCowboy

I'm in. Gonna start another thread just for results and updates, or we gonna post it here?

Lipripper

I'm pulling for y'all Rick and Lou and SHC. My only heath goal is to try and regain some of my strength strength so I can walk further and stand longer so I can fish more.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Lipripper on December 29, 2017, 08:09:01 AM
I'm pulling for y'all Rick and Lou and SHC. My only heath goal is to try and regain some of my strength strength so I can walk further and stand longer so I can fish more.
That by itself is a good goal to have!

Bassun67

My healthy living:

1. No packaged foods (e.g., chocolate, candy, cookies, cake, sausage...).
2. Plant-based diet, with low dairy food.
3. intermittent fasting (16-8).
4. 2000-3000 mL water/day.
5. the most important thing: May-Nov: go fishing every other day (sunlight!).

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on December 29, 2017, 07:22:24 AM
I'm in. Gonna start another thread just for results and updates, or we gonna post it here?
What do you think?

I was planning on just here, but if it makes sense to do another thread for results we could...
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lipripper on December 29, 2017, 08:09:01 AM
That's fantastic Lip! Great goal!
How are you going to accomplish that?

Quote from: Bassun67 on December 29, 2017, 08:48:04 AM
My healthy living:

1. No packaged foods (e.g., chocolate, candy, cookies, cake, sausage...).
2. Plant-based diet, with low dairy food.
3. intermittent fasting (16-8).
4. 2000-3000 mL water/day.
5. the most important thing: May-Nov: go fishing every other day (sunlight!).

That's great Bassun67! Packaged foods and processed foods are the worse. Our bodies really aren't designed to eat all these preservatives. All that stuff is terrible, not to mention the amount of sugar and sodium in them.

Also the water per day deal is great! When I am at work I usually get between 64oz and 96oz of water in me. When I am at home I try. One thing that has really helped me with the water drinking is a 32oz RTIC Tumbler. I have one at work, and I have 2 at home. As long as I keep it next to me I chug water all day long!
Florida Bass Fishing

D.W. Verts

My combined lift in my heyday- bench, squat, and press, was almost 1300 pounds. Attainable? I'd like to be able to do half that.

I believe that weightlifting is the Fountain of Youth. Very few adults over forty have enough muscle mass. So that's where it's at for me. My brain wraps around lifting weights. Not Olympia lifting, but good, well thought-out weight training.

Once you get that going, the brain gets right, and it makes the portion control/good food plan easier to. The problem is that I've hurt too much for the past 3-1/2 years to do any lifting. And my brain has most definitely not been "right".

We will see.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

I do the gym thing, elliptical, stairmaster, and several machines for my upper body, I'm 72, have arthritis in both knees both hips(one is titanium), both shoulders, both hands, and my lower back, I have type 2 also. After having surgery on my right shoulder I joined the gym where the therapy office is, the Doctors told me no more strength workouts, 3 years later I had my left shoulder sliced and diced, the Doctor  told me to exercise, I do light weight with high reps, all I want is to stabilize the joints and the elliptical and stairmaster help me control my sugar. The only thing I need to do is stop snacking, for the most part that's what I do.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 31, 2017, 11:16:44 AM
My combined lift in my heyday- bench, squat, and press, was almost 1300 pounds. Attainable? I'd like to be able to do half that.

I believe that weightlifting is the Fountain of Youth. Very few adults over forty have enough muscle mass. So that's where it's at for me. My brain wraps around lifting weights. Not Olympia lifting, but good, well thought-out weight training.

Once you get that going, the brain gets right, and it makes the portion control/good food plan easier to. The problem is that I've hurt too much for the past 3-1/2 years to do any lifting. And my brain has most definitely not been "right".

We will see.

Lifting is also a good way to burn fat! Good luck! I am sure you'll manage to meet your goal!
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on December 31, 2017, 12:57:38 PM
I do the gym thing, elliptical, stairmaster, and several machines for my upper body, I'm 72, have arthritis in both knees both hips(one is titanium), both shoulders, both hands, and my lower back, I have type 2 also. After having surgery on my right shoulder I joined the gym where the therapy office is, the Doctors told me no more strength workouts, 3 years later I had my left shoulder sliced and diced, the Doctor  told me to exercise, I do light weight with high reps, all I want is to stabilize the joints and the elliptical and stairmaster help me control my sugar. The only thing I need to do is stop snacking, for the most part that's what I do.
Rodney

Rodney it sounds like you are already on the right track to staying healthy!  Light weight and high reps is a great way to burn fat and keep yourself in shape!
I started doing it 2-3 times a week with my brother and in a few weeks noticed my waist had actually shrunk. Had to cut the belt. Hard part is keeping it going.
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 29, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
What do you think?

I was planning on just here, but if it makes sense to do another thread for results we could...
I dunno, I reckon here is fine. This thread's already gotten attention, these fellas will help us stay motivated. Unless you've already started another one? I been offline the past couple days.

SteelHorseCowboy

Alright, I see you haven't yet, so I'll go ahead.
I don't think the first day of the year could have fallen on a better day; a Monday.

Where I'm at right now:
Doctor's scale says 256, fully dressed in my daily load out: jacket, boots, gun, knife, leatherman, wallet, pocket full of change, etc.
So I weighed in this morning at the office, since I'm not going to the doctor weekly. I knew the newer scale was wildly inaccurate, so I got on the older one. Which read a higher weight. This is the scale I'm going to use each week, circumstances permitting.
I often shower at the office, it's more convenient when there's 4 people sharing one bathroom at home. This also makes it pretty convenient to step on the scales wearing nothing but my skivvies.

I smoke a pack and a half a day. I'm not quitting cold turkey, and I'm not going to do a gradual reduction, nor use nicotine substitutes (including smokeless tobacco).
I'm going to do a relatively rapid reduction, my goal is to be tobacco free by Valentine's Day at the latest, earlier if possible.

Weighed in at 245. My weight loss plan is not really "smaller" portions, but "healthy" portions. Which are really pretty much the same thing since I over eat.
Also planning to cut out sodas (I've done that before, it's easier than you'd think), increase my water intake, and do some calisthenics at home. Changes in my schedule and responsibilities make it impossible to get to the gym, there's no way around that. Only way to do so is to make extra trips to West Monroe, which is a 50 mile round trip. I can't afford it.

Here's my first weigh-in.

I think I have pretty nice feet considering everything I've but them through.

SteelHorseCowboy

Pic upload seems to be bad, trying again.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: rickdelprado on December 31, 2017, 08:37:33 PM
Rodney it sounds like you are already on the right track to staying healthy!  Light weight and high reps is a great way to burn fat and keep yourself in shape!
I started doing it 2-3 times a week with my brother and in a few weeks noticed my waist had actually shrunk. Had to cut the belt. Hard part is keeping it going.

3 days a week I do the stairmaster, 3 days a week I do the elliptical, the rest of my workout is broken up during that time. It takes me about an hour and a half with the majority of that time working on my sugar, I'm putting off insulin as long as possible. This time of year I'd like to start doing 2 a days, the later being the elliptical. I'm flexible enough to head for the recumbent bike if my knees are acting up. I wear a pair of expensive hinged knee braces or I'd be dead in the water. I also do the Nautilus Abdominal machine, it strengthens my stomach muscles which supports the back, now I can stand while I fish, before I couldn't last more than a half hour, now, 3 to 4 hours and sometimes more. It's a lot of work but I'm able to do things I couldn't 4 or 5 years ago and slowly I'm getting my weight under control, wish I'd of started when I was 50. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

So I woke up put batteries in the scale and gently got on. My weight was no surprise.
To keep things consistent I will be weighing myself on this scale once a week. I have some work to do and will be setting my first  weight loss goal to get down to 300.

Florida Bass Fishing

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

Glad to see everyone is getting off on a good foot. I need to try and keep my weight up around 190 to 195 lbs. Over the last few weeks I dropped below that and the last time I weighed I was 187 lbs. I don't want to get below 185 lbs but the hard thing is trying to make yourself eat when you don't get hungry at all and nothing taste right. I'm afraid I'm starting to go on that Downward Spiral that got me into having to have a feeding tube put in before.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 01, 2018, 03:42:50 PM
Wow Rick- you a growed-up boy.

lol sure am.

Quote from: Lipripper on January 01, 2018, 03:58:57 PM
Glad to see everyone is getting off on a good foot. I need to try and keep my weight up around 190 to 195 lbs. Over the last few weeks I dropped below that and the last time I weighed I was 187 lbs. I don't want to get below 185 lbs but the hard thing is trying to make yourself eat when you don't get hungry at all and nothing taste right. I'm afraid I'm starting to go on that Downward Spiral that got me into having to have a feeding tube put in before.
Lip you need some Cuban food, that stuff will fatten you right up. White rice, and black beans with ever meal!
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Up until my mid thirties I weighed between 170 and 180 and despite a messed up back managed to work out 3 - 4 days a week. Now I fight a seemingly never ending battle to stay below 300. Being married to a woman who can COOOOOK, a sedentary lifestyle that often involves grabbing fast food on the go and my two biggest downfalls soda and chips and it's not hard to see why I am here.

I don't make New Year's resolutions. My recent diagnosis however has motivated me to get started on the road to a healthier,  stronger me.

We can all keep each other motivated here.  Seeing other members make progress will be very encouraging in our own struggles whatever they may be for each of us.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Smallie we can all help each other out. I just got a little worried when I got on the scale the last time and saw that I was down to 187 from 192 lbs. It's hard to eat when you don't get hungry.  :'(

SteelHorseCowboy

Well Lip, lots of folks eventually get their appetite back after going through what you've been through, but it can sometimes take a while.