Healthy Living (stay strong my friends)

Started by SFL BassHunter, December 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 11, 2018, 08:37:23 PM
I think I would dread being Rick's scale, myself!

Lifting weights is not really a weight control deal. Actually if you lift properly you'll put weight ON (muscle mass is heavy). At one time I owned around 85 pounds of pure, weight lifting muscle. It was good times.

Bodybuilding, or just lifting weights, is as good for the soul as anything else. And my soul needs to feel good too.

I agree with you, the weight training isn't about losing weight, but it does help get rid of fat. I'm not lifting to get big, I am lifting to get lean. Burn fat and replace with muscle.

Quote from: DonM on January 11, 2018, 10:14:09 PM
Not great news.  Echo shows some lack of heart function.  Cath in the morning and tentatively scheduled for Pacemaker-defib device implant Monday.  Thanks for good wishes and prayers!
That is a setback but at least there is a solution to the issue. Hopefully you'll be fully operational soon enough.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Not great news.  Echo shows some lack of heart function.  Cath in the morning and tentatively scheduled for Pacemaker-defib device implant Monday.  Thanks for good wishes and prayers!
Don will keep you in my prayers that everything works out OK.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Dang it Don!!! You tell them doctors you got a lot of missed fishing time to make up so make sure they get it right.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bassun67

Echo shows some lack of heart function.

Some heart diseases can be easily reversed. I have read many medical articles and believe in that. The answer is on our "diet". Check this important talk first.

You may google Dr John McDougall or Dr. T. Colin Campbell and find many videos on Youtube. Data is there but unfortunately medicine is a business (and I was part of it.).

I had left ventricular hypertrophy (enlarged heart) several years ago. Then I slowly changed my diet to whole-food, plant-based diet (with less than 10-20% meat; mainly white meat). Again, I am having a healthy heart.

wish you all the best though I don't know you.  :)

DonM

Quote from: Bassun67 on January 12, 2018, 04:02:07 PM
Some heart diseases can be easily reversed. I have read many medical articles and believe in that. The answer is on our "diet". Check this important talk first.

You may google Dr John McDougall or Dr. T. Colin Campbell and find many videos on Youtube. Data is there but unfortunately medicine is a business (and I was part of it.).

I had left ventricular hypertrophy (enlarged heart) several years ago. Then I slowly changed my diet to whole-food, plant-based diet (with less than 10-20% meat; mainly white meat). Again, I am having a healthy heart.

wish you all the best though I don't know you.  :)
Thank you so much and I agree totally about the proper diet.  Echo showed my ejection ratio at 30%.  I had open heart surgery three years ago, so this was quite unexpected.  I lost 50 pounds since that surgery, but lately gained some of it back (stupid!) 
Heart cath today showed no blockages and that the bypasses are clear.  I will have the pacemaker/defib device implanted Monday. 
I'm 74 and hoping to catch quite a large number more fish before I die!  You gotta have a plan!
Again thanks to all for good thoughts, advice and prayers! 
DonM

Leavy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 11, 2018, 08:37:23 PM
I think I would dread being Rick's scale, myself!

Lifting weights is not really a weight control deal. Actually if you lift properly you'll put weight ON (muscle mass is heavy). At one time I owned around 85 pounds of pure, weight lifting muscle. It was good times.

Bodybuilding, or just lifting weights, is as good for the soul as anything else. And my soul needs to feel good too.

If you're doing it right, you'll put on muscle and lose fat. If you have fat to lose, that is. Powerlifting style training is better for that than anything else as it also has residual benefits that stay with you for the next 48 hours of heavy lifting in shape of increased body fat burning.
The Hydromax website.

D.W. Verts

The best of luck, Don!

My lifting this last week has been more of the "core" variety with pretty light weights (but boy, do I FEEL it!). I'm trying to bring my back and legs into a stronger position... Arm and shoulder work will follow after a couple of weeks, then I'll work up a rotational routine.

Ya'll that have never done this wouldn't be able to believe how much easier a day (or three, or four) of fishin' goes when you have conditioned shoulders and arms, and of course a strong back and legs is the foundation that starts it all.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SFL BassHunter

I felt the light weight high rep work outs quite a bit myself. Got 2 in last week. The second was shoulders, triceps and back.
Hoping this week we can manage 3 workouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Don said an extra prayer for you yesterday and check back as soon as you can and let us know your OK.

DonM

Quote from: Lipripper on January 16, 2018, 11:07:59 AM
Don said an extra prayer for you yesterday and check back as soon as you can and let us know your OK.
Must have worked. Made it home after all.  A fair amount of pain and soreness.  Nap time. Thanks all. I love you all.  More later.
DonM

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks for the update Don. Take all the nap time you need. We'll keep the prayers coming.

Lipripper

Quote from: DonM on January 16, 2018, 05:44:35 PM
Must have worked. Made it home after all.  A fair amount of pain and soreness.  Nap time. Thanks all. I love you all.  More later.
Glad you made it back home Don and don't overdo it all at once.

ryan1995

So I haven't been on here for about a year. But coming back and seeing this thread, I felt like I needed to share, if only to inspire people here. January 1st, 2017, I weighed in at a whopping 230 lbs. I am a 5'10, 22 year old male. I should be in the prime of my life. I was always tired, and my stamina was embarrassing. That was the point I decided I needed to change. With an entire year of a healthy, but not strict diet, along with going to the gym daily for the last 6 months, I weighed in at 142 lbs On January 1st, 2018. Thats about 90lbs in a year. Ive never been in better shape. Ive never been able to bust out 50 push-ups or 20 chin-ups until now, but I am telling you, it's so worth it. I know it's corny to say if I can do it, so can you. But it is true. Dedication will get you so much further then just talking about what you're going to do. Go out and just do it. I will post pics to hopefully encourage if only a single member here to make the changes they want to make in life. If any of you need any tips, message me, id be honored to help any one of you.
Member of the LSCR club

SFL BassHunter

Thanks for the update Don!

Quote from: ryan1995 on January 18, 2018, 08:39:55 PM
So I haven't been on here for about a year. But coming back and seeing this thread, I felt like I needed to share, if only to inspire people here. January 1st, 2017, I weighed in at a whopping 230 lbs. I am a 5'10, 22 year old male. I should be in the prime of my life. I was always tired, and my stamina was embarrassing. That was the point I decided I needed to change. With an entire year of a healthy, but not strict diet, along with going to the gym daily for the last 6 months, I weighed in at 142 lbs On January 1st, 2018. Thats about 90lbs in a year. Ive never been in better shape. Ive never been able to bust out 50 push-ups or 20 chin-ups until now, but I am telling you, it's so worth it. I know it's corny to say if I can do it, so can you. But it is true. Dedication will get you so much further then just talking about what you're going to do. Go out and just do it. I will post pics to hopefully encourage if only a single member here to make the changes they want to make in life. If any of you need any tips, message me, id be honored to help any one of you.

Thank you for sharing with us Ryan! Very good job on meeting your goal and for posting to encourage us!
Florida Bass Fishing

ryan1995

First pic is last year with my younger sister at 230lbs. second is with my older sister at 140ish lbs. Currently at 138
Member of the LSCR club

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: ryan1995 on January 18, 2018, 08:44:35 PM
First pic is last year with my younger sister at 230lbs. second is with my older sister at 140ish lbs. Currently at 138

You're like an entirely different person! Thats awesome!
Florida Bass Fishing

ryan1995

Quote from: rickdelprado on January 18, 2018, 08:45:31 PM
You're like an entirely different person! Thats awesome!
Haha thanks. I had to get a new liscense because I kept getting turned away at liquor stores. They said I wasn't the guy on the i.d. But in all honesty if you just work everyday with your end goal in mind and become obsessed with it, you can do anything you want. Meet one goal, make a new one. Mines putting on more muscle and getting up to 150.
Member of the LSCR club

Smallie_Stalker

Wow Ryan what a difference!!!   ~c~    I am about to turn 58 in a couple of weeks but I am not going to let that stop me from pushing towards my goals. It's never to late. I told my wife that i want a gym membership for my birthday because I know if I try and do it at home I'll probably get lazy with it. I've already started changing a few things in the way I eat - portion sizes, snacking on nuts and carrot sticks instead of chips, things like that.

I've done the up and down thing too many times and I ain't getting any younger so there's no time like the present.

Thanks for sharing your story and the pics. I am sure they will be an inspiration to others as they have been to me already.

ryan1995

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 18, 2018, 10:00:42 PM
Wow Ryan what a difference!!!   ~c~    I am about to turn 58 in a couple of weeks but I am not going to let that stop me from pushing towards my goals. It's never to late. I told my wife that i want a gym membership for my birthday because I know if I try and do it at home I'll probably get lazy with it. I've already started changing a few things in the way I eat - portion sizes, snacking on nuts and carrot sticks instead of chips, things like that.

I've done the up and down thing too many times and I ain't getting any younger so there's no time like the present.

Thanks for sharing your story and the pics. I am sure they will be an inspiration to others as they have been to me already.

I tried the same thing with the home gym. I feel that when you are actually paying for something like a gym membership, you are more likely to actually go. Just find a workout routine that works for you and build on it. When I first started, I couldn't run on a treadmill for more then 5-10 minutes, so I used the elliptical. But it built me up to the point that I run 5 miles on a treadmill on a daily basis. Times get faster, it get's easier, and at that point you have to amp it up even more. Just don't get complacent with your workouts. If they get easy, you gotta add weight, add reps, add sets, reduce time taken to perform the workout etc. Just don't let anyone or anything discourage you.
Member of the LSCR club

SteelHorseCowboy

I've actually gained 3 pounds, but I'm out of notches on my belt?
I'm not doing any weight training.

SteelHorseCowboy

Okay, down 5 pounds and 4 smokes so far today.

Smallie_Stalker

Congrats SHC on both accomplishments.  ~c~ 

I've got a new digital scale due to arrive by Friday. My birthday is this weekend and I told the wife that her present to me is a gym membership.  lo 

I have done this up and down weight thing enough to know that if I try and do stuff at home there is always going to be something to get in the way, whether it's my own laziness or the wife or kid needing something done. Forcing myself to go somewhere else without distractions and having an environment focused on fitness is a much better fit in my personal situation.

This thread is a great idea. I'm finding a lot of motivation and encouragement reading the posts here.  ~c~

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 30, 2018, 04:00:26 PM
Okay, down 5 pounds and 4 smokes so far today.
That's good SHC  ~c~ ~c~
Smallie hope you get more than a digital scale for your birthday, lo

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Lipripper on January 30, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
That's good SHC  ~c~ ~c~
Smallie hope you get more than a digital scale for your birthday, lo

Me too.  ;) ~shade lo

Down4ttown

Great thread here. I too have set some goals for myself and am happy to have other anglers with the same goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk