Healthy Living (stay strong my friends)

Started by SFL BassHunter, December 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

Got started a couple days ago with a daily walk of 15 min. Today increased to 2 daily walks of 15 min each in the hot Florida sun.

The next step is going to increase to 3 daily walks. Two 15 min walks at work, and one after work at home. After this I will adjust my walk at home and increase it on days I don't fish.

Better than nothing. Start off slow and gain momentum.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 03, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
Got started a couple days ago with a daily walk of 15 min. Today increased to 2 daily walks of 15 min each in the hot Florida sun.

The next step is going to increase to 3 daily walks. Two 15 min walks at work, and one after work at home. After this I will adjust my walk at home and increase it on days I don't fish.

Better than nothing. Start off slow and gain momentum.
That's a good start Rick  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

DonM

I haven't lost but a few pounds, BUT I seem to be out danger as far as immediate heart problems.  The Defibrillator/Pacemaker incision seems to have finally healed and I'm cleared to do anything I feel like doing. Only thing after lying around in and out of the hospital for more than two months, I don't have any strength or energy.  I'm sure the medication has something to do with this as well.
My wife and son (who lives with us) have finally decided to lose some weight so it will be easier with us all on board.
Played golf today for the second time.  Only made nine holes but it's a start.
I can fish o.k. but afraid to go alone.  It's hard to get in and out of the boat! 
Also I have to keep everything covered because the antibiotic I'm on makes my skin extremely sensitive to the sun.
I reduced my "work" schedule from five nights a week to two.  (I'm a musician).
So now all the excuses are gone, so it's time  to get serious.  First goal is to get below 270.  I'm 6' 5" and eventually need to get down to below 250. 
Piece of cake right?  No, make that salad.  :)
DonM

SFL BassHunter

Juiced for the first time in a long time this morning.

2 Medium Carrots, 1 cucumber, 1 kiwi, 3 handfuls of spinach, 1 grapefruit.

Got a little over 10oz of juice out of all that. The spinach yields the least and the cucumber the most.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 05, 2018, 07:05:33 AM
Juiced for the first time in a long time this morning.

2 Medium Carrots, 1 cucumber, 1 kiwi, 3 handfuls of spinach, 1 grapefruit.

Got a little over 10oz of juice out of all that. The spinach yields the least and the cucumber the most.
I never could drink all them Juice things with all that stuff in it.yuck they tried to sneak some of them shakes with all that healthy stuff in it with out telling my what it had in it but I tasted it just to make them happy.. I know they were just trying to help me with my cancer to get me better but I just couldn't drink that stuff.

D.W. Verts

I finally started getting rid of some of the weight that the Prednezone put on me this last fall and winter (I will never take that drug again. Just horrible).

I've been drinkin' a LOT of water. It's easier when it's 80-90 degrees out.

And while I still have pain issues, I'm starting a little workout regimen with free weights. Dig it- I AM getting back into "better" shape.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

Quote from: D.W. Verts on May 11, 2018, 11:19:59 PM
I finally started getting rid of some of the weight that the Prednezone put on me this last fall and winter (I will never take that drug again. Just horrible).

I've been drinkin' a LOT of water. It's easier when it's 80-90 degrees out.

And while I still have pain issues, I'm starting a little workout regimen with free weights. Dig it- I AM getting back into "better" shape.
Dale that's good to hear and just keep at it. I'm still holding my weight at around 190 LBs so all is good on my end also.

SFL BassHunter

Been doing at least one healthy meal per day and it's not enough. Time to get strict with the diet. This week I started eating 2 healthy meals and yesterday I started drinking green tea. 2 times a day.
BTW green tea helped me lose a bunch of weight a long time ago. That stuff helps burn fat and improves metabolism. I'm hoping it helps me again.

My main goal now is to cut out sugar and carbs as best I can. It's not easy since most of the foods I love are full of carbs.
I've also decided to cut out red meat.

This rain is stopping me from doing my 15 min walks at work. I need to find breaks in the rain and get them in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 23, 2018, 06:15:01 AM
Been doing at least one healthy meal per day and it's not enough. Time to get strict with the diet. This week I started eating 2 healthy meals and yesterday I started drinking green tea. 2 times a day.
BTW green tea helped me lose a bunch of weight a long time ago. That stuff helps burn fat and improves metabolism. I'm hoping it helps me again.

My main goal now is to cut out sugar and carbs as best I can. It's not easy since most of the foods I love are full of carbs.
I've also decided to cut out red meat.

This rain is stopping me from doing my 15 min walks at work. I need to find breaks in the rain and get them in though.

Good to see you keeping up with this Rick and Green Tea is good stuff. ;D

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lipripper on May 23, 2018, 07:51:47 PM
Good to see you keeping up with this Rick and Green Tea is good stuff. ;D
Thanks Lip!
I'm serious about the life style change. I went to publix yesterday and bought healthy foods. I'm also going to start taking lunch to work. Got me a lunch bag and some meal prep containers that are perfect to keep portion control.
Long gone are the days of eating a massive plate of food.

Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinkorea

Rick, I have lost almost 35 pounds since last October. The biggest contributor to that was I started running around 3 times per week.
The second part was my diet. For several reasons, it is quite difficult for my to find and buy all these healthy style foods and figure out all of the fat, carbs, calories, etc. So what I do is cut out a lot of meat and replaced with veggies and just reduce the portion sizes.
The third thing I have done is cut out alcohol almost all together. I was never a huge drinker (don't listen to Lip, he lies  ~beer~ ), but I did like a few drinks on the weekend. However, now that I am running 3 times per week, I feel like I am cheating myself if I have a drink. Eventually, I just stopped wanting to drink.

Sorry for jumping in your thread with my story, but I hope it might help you a little.

Good luck with your lifestyle change, you will feel so much better for it sooner rather than later.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Kris

When I retired in early 2016 I was just a touch over 300 lbs. I am presently right around 250 and hopefully losing some more. I would be happy right around 215, haven't been under 200 lbs since my Military days.
My biggest help was not having Fast Food for lunch every day. Then I found out I am Type 2 Diabetic so I had to watch my Carb intake. Well, that hasn't worked out so well lately. My blood sugar in the morning is elevated more but that might be part of this stomach thing. I've got an appointment with a Gastro Doctor in early June to see what that is.
When I lost my most weight, down to 200 lbs, a few years ago I had Lean Cuisine for lunch every day and did a quite bit of walking. Cindy and I started walking a couple days a week but that has slacked off a bit.
Good luck Rick.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinkorea on May 24, 2018, 06:28:19 AM
Rick, I have lost almost 35 pounds since last October. The biggest contributor to that was I started running around 3 times per week.
The second part was my diet. For several reasons, it is quite difficult for my to find and buy all these healthy style foods and figure out all of the fat, carbs, calories, etc. So what I do is cut out a lot of meat and replaced with veggies and just reduce the portion sizes.
The third thing I have done is cut out alcohol almost all together. I was never a huge drinker (don't listen to Lip, he lies  ~beer~ ), but I did like a few drinks on the weekend. However, now that I am running 3 times per week, I feel like I am cheating myself if I have a drink. Eventually, I just stopped wanting to drink.

Sorry for jumping in your thread with my story, but I hope it might help you a little.

Good luck with your lifestyle change, you will feel so much better for it sooner rather than later.

I'm glad you shared. This isn't my thread this is a thread for everyone!
I quit drinking a few years ago. I'll have the occasional whiskey at a family party but that's about it. By occasionally I mean almost never lol.

You're correct potion control is important and the running helps for sure. I won't be doing any running yet. Im going to try and get back to being able to walk a 5k. If I can do a 5k 3 to 4 times a week I'll be able to drop weight till I can get to the point where I can try and run.
Going to have to put fishing on the back burner during the week to accomplish the walking.

Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 24, 2018, 07:31:02 AM

Going to have to put fishing on the back burner during the week to accomplish the walking.

Maybe work in some spinnerbait only fishing during the week? Just one cast, reel, and move, one cast, reel and move. I know it won't burn as many calories as a 15 minute walk, but if you do it for an hour, maybe it will be about the same. I know the goal is to maintain an increased heart rate, so I don't know if that will work or not, but you could try it once to see. Just a (possibly stupid) thought. I guess the only problem would be if it turns out to be a killer technique, you won't be walking as much lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on May 24, 2018, 08:02:52 AM
Maybe work in some spinnerbait only fishing during the week? Just one cast, reel, and move, one cast, reel and move. I know it won't burn as many calories as a 15 minute walk, but if you do it for an hour, maybe it will be about the same. I know the goal is to maintain an increased heart rate, so I don't know if that will work or not, but you could try it once to see. Just a (possibly stupid) thought. I guess the only problem would be if it turns out to be a killer technique, you won't be walking as much lo

It was a technique that worked well for me last year and put some nice fish on the bank for me.

Quote from: Kris on May 24, 2018, 06:35:38 AM
When I retired in early 2016 I was just a touch over 300 lbs. I am presently right around 250 and hopefully losing some more. I would be happy right around 215, haven't been under 200 lbs since my Military days.
My biggest help was not having Fast Food for lunch every day. Then I found out I am Type 2 Diabetic so I had to watch my Carb intake. Well, that hasn't worked out so well lately. My blood sugar in the morning is elevated more but that might be part of this stomach thing. I've got an appointment with a Gastro Doctor in early June to see what that is.
When I lost my most weight, down to 200 lbs, a few years ago I had Lean Cuisine for lunch every day and did a quite bit of walking. Cindy and I started walking a couple days a week but that has slacked off a bit.
Good luck Rick.
Thanks, the down side with Lean Cuisine diets is the salt intake. All that stuff has so much sodium.

Carbs are bad. They are the sole reason why I gain weight. When I cut them out, I lose weight. It's that simple. So that's my strategy. But I am only cutting out the bad carbs, not the good ones.
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Down 9lbs since last Wednesday.
343 down to 334.

Daily (Supplied by MyFitnessPal according to my weight and height) goals are under
2,130 calories
133g Carbs
95g Fat
186g Protein
2,300mg Sodium
80g sugar

I've done very good at staying under these numbers daily, and have actually not gone over 1,950 calories any day yet. Generally I am hitting around 1700 calories daily. Though Calories ultimately are critical, my main goal of keeping carbs and sugar down are helping me hit my calorie goal with ease.

At some point I suspect I will hit a wall. Once I hit the wall, I'll make an adjustment to keep dropping weight.

Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 31, 2018, 11:09:00 AM
Down 9lbs since last Wednesday.
343 down to 334.

Daily (Supplied by MyFitnessPal according to my weight and height) goals are under
2,130 calories
133g Carbs
95g Fat
186g Protein
2,300mg Sodium
80g sugar

I've done very good at staying under these numbers daily, and have actually not gone over 1,950 calories any day yet. Generally I am hitting around 1700 calories daily. Though Calories ultimately are critical, my main goal of keeping carbs and sugar down are helping me hit my calorie goal with ease.

At some point I suspect I will hit a wall. Once I hit the wall, I'll make an adjustment to keep dropping weight.
Keep at it Rick your doing great. ~c~ ~c~

Smallie_Stalker

That's awesome Rick!!!  ~c~ 

My weigh in day is tomorrow. This flu has been kicking my butt and I haven't been eating much at all. The hard part for me right now is that the med that my doc put me on to help with the prostate is a form of a steroid and is known to cause weight gain, so I may be fighting a losing battle. But I'm NOT giving up.  ~bb
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 31, 2018, 03:49:22 PM
That's awesome Rick!!!  ~c~ 

My weigh in day is tomorrow. This flu has been kicking my butt and I haven't been eating much at all. The hard part for me right now is that the med that my doc put me on to help with the prostate is a form of a steroid and is known to cause weight gain, so I may be fighting a losing battle. But I'm NOT giving up.  ~bb
keep at it Smallie and hope them pills don't pack on to much weight.

Smallie_Stalker

Well, I'm UP 1.6 lbs even though I've barely eaten in the past week. It's got to be the steroids.  :(

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 01, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
Well, I'm UP 1.6 lbs even though I've barely eaten in the past week. It's got to be the steroids.  :(
They will do that to you. Just hope you can keep it at a low level.

Dark3

If I can help let me know. Message me if you want, im glad to talk. I might provide tough answers but I will support you in your fitness needs. Remember if it isnt hard, your doing it wrong. Summer is not the time for intermediate fasting if you work outside. This stuff is a science like fishing. Be careful as to not worsen your health while trying to improve it which is surprisingly easy to do if you are trying to starve your way skinny.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Dark3 on June 01, 2018, 10:01:36 PM
If I can help let me know. Message me if you want, im glad to talk. I might provide tough answers but I will support you in your fitness needs. Remember if it isnt hard, your doing it wrong. Summer is not the time for intermediate fasting if you work outside. This stuff is a science like fishing. Be careful as to not worsen your health while trying to improve it which is surprisingly easy to do if you are trying to starve your way skinny.

Good to see you back. We keep you,  your family and the others you serve with in our daily prayers.

Appreciate any help and suggestions. My not eating was due to having the flu. I know better than to try and eat my way thin by not eating. Back in December I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and one of the meds they have me on is a steroid so it's making it tougher to drop the pounds.

Besides the steroid issue the biggest problems I'm fighting are a combination of my age (58) and a variety of health issues including arthritis and a slew of back problems to include advanced degenerative disc disease, spinal arthritis, multiple pinched nerves and sciatica.

So if you got any suggestions for a plan that would help an old broke down man like me I'm all ears.

Thanks brother and welcome home.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: D.W. Verts on May 11, 2018, 11:19:59 PM

one week into the free weights here.  starting slow and adding.  legs come next.