Stealth is the KEY to Bank Fishin'!

Started by D.W. Verts, December 11, 2017, 04:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Yes it is, but first-

You can do a good deed, maybe even a GREAT one, by donating to the Adopt-a-Family deal that UB is doing thru the 19th (Lipripper will post a link to the details below, just watch).

For as little as a $20 donation you'll be entered into a drawing for cool prizes, and I'll build you a handful of custom jigs, some chatterbaits or spinnerbaits that WILL catch big bass. I have the proof!

Please guys, these folks are hurtin' and need our help.

PayPal is how I donated. They even have a deal called "PayPal Credit"- you can "borrow" that $20 (or $30, or whatever) an ease the pre-Christmas stress on your bank account. There was even a link here on the UB site the other day- it's easy!

C'mon guys & girls. Please. You'll feel good about it.

About the STEALTH-

I'd say that 99% of the fisherman that I've seen over the years don't make enough of an attempt at being QUIET when bank fishin'. Folks, those fish can HEAR (feel) you. Heavy footsteps are a dead giveaway to a bass, and especially to larger fish. I plan to write a more serious article in the near future on this subject, and things I've learned on almost half a century (wow) of fishin' from the bank.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Great point DW, I've found anytime I'm fishing shallow water I have to make much longer casts and try and stay off the trolling motor. On tough days the slightest unnatural noise ruins them, but on feeding sprees they let their guard down.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

D.W. Verts

You betcha Mike. Most fishermen I see are too noisy most all the time. Period...

Speakin' of STEALTH- has everyone that hasn't done so done any considered to donating to the Adopt-Family deal yet? It's almost over- it would sure be nice to add just a few hundred dollars more.

Just sayin'.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

When it comes to Stealth bank fishing, I believe it has to do more of being seen first than heard. Of course if someone comes running down to the bank I believe the stomping of the feet may transmit into the water, but since bass rely on their site primarily, I'm betting they saw a quick movement above or around them that make them scurry off. On a boat however, abrupt sounds, or the over running of the TM in the shallows can mean the difference of catching or not catching.

SteelHorseCowboy

Don't know much about boat fishing, as far as running a (powered) boat. But I believe I read an article linked here in this great forum when I first joined that said a TM constantly running at low speed startles fish less than one that's run stop-and-go. I know my old man keeps it constantly going low speed, or going as much as possible, and he's very successful on the water. Most other members in his club run theirs stop-and-go... my dad wins most of their tournaments too.

Stealth while bank fishing...
I probably don't have as much experience at walking in general as Dale does at fishing from the bank, but I did learn a thing or two at some school I went to that involved pretending to be a bush and a lot of long range marksmanship.

Being seen. Other than more time in the field, this is a great reason to hit the fishing hole (or the deer stand) early. Around dawn and dusk, everything is gray and blends together (this is also why I refuse to own a gray/silver/white vehicle).
If you have to move in the daylight, try to do so when the target has the sun in their eyes. Bonus points if you can simultaneously use shadows.  I'd wager fish try to avoid having the sun right in their eyes just like humans do, and anyone who's watched fish from the bank for more than five minutes can tell you they dart away the moment you cast a shadow on them.
Slow and deliberate movements. When you're moving through deep boonies like I sometimes do, your mind needs to be at least ten steps ahead. Literally. Every step you take, you should be planning your next ten steps.
"Okay, 5 steps ahead I have to either go through that deadfall debris, or through that clear spot that has thick brush another 5 steps away on the other side..."
Which do you choose? One time in particular during a training exercise, I chose to momentarily expose myself in a clear trail and head towards the thick brush. Because I couldn't see what was on the other side of the deadfall. Turned out to be a 20 foot deep by 50 feet wide ravine with no cover at all.
Avoid silhouetting.
Foot placement. Fish "hear" differently than humans, we all know this. "Hearing" animals are less likely to detect a low "thump" while I suspect "feeling" animals like fish are less likely to detect leaves rustling.

I'm a lousy angler, but I know a handful of things about stealth!