Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 05, 2018, 03:49:33 PM
That would be really cool. They won't be big but I'm going to make them big ~c~

:-* Not if you do them by seconds!!  lo lo

Mike Cork

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 05, 2018, 03:51:56 PM
:-* Not if you do them by seconds!!  lo lo

~roflmao

Today is day five and it's been the hardest yet for me. Everything we've researched said that day 3-5 will be the worst. So I'm 3/4 through today and still solidly committed. I did spend a couple hours surfing all my links on what smoking does to you and reviewing my list of why I'm quitting. When I make it through this week that 7 packs of smokes times 2 (Laurie and I) so that's 14 packs of smokes x $7 = $98. I've got nearly one hundred dollars extra in the budget to make a fishing tackle order :toot:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Stay the course Mike!! I'm confident that both you and Laurie will succeed in kicking the smoking habit.

Lipripper

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 05, 2018, 03:58:36 PM
~roflmao

Today is day five and it's been the hardest yet for me. Everything we've researched said that day 3-5 will be the worst. So I'm 3/4 through today and still solidly committed. I did spend a couple hours surfing all my links on what smoking does to you and reviewing my list of why I'm quitting. When I make it through this week that 7 packs of smokes times 2 (Laurie and I) so that's 14 packs of smokes x $7 = $98. I've got nearly one hundred dollars extra in the budget to make a fishing tackle order :toot:
Yelp and get a Jar and put the money in it every time when it come the time you would of had to get another pack of smokes and watch it grow then by the time y'all quit just think of all the good fishing gear you and Laurie can get with it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Ice Cold Peanuts

I'm honored to accept your challenge Mike. Obviously, I too need the motivation.

Day 5 went well until I was driving home and thinking about previous Friday nights. Momma and I would have some beers, a half dozen shots of Fireball and in my case, a pack of butts. I actually hoped she'd say she wanted some beer. You know what that would mean. She didn't. I was disappointed. Now I'm thankful. I'll be married 35 years this April so there aren't many more opportunities to impress Deb. This is one though.

Tomorrow is another day. C'mon will power. Oh yeah, game on.

2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Lipripper

OK today makes day 6 so just keep your PMA up and you can do it.

cortman

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 05, 2018, 03:58:36 PM
~roflmao

That kind of savings almost makes me wish I had a vice to quit. Lol

Mike Cork

Quote from: Ice Cold Peanuts on January 05, 2018, 10:18:48 PM
I'm honored to accept your challenge Mike. Obviously, I too need the motivation.

Day 5 went well until I was driving home and thinking about previous Friday nights. Momma and I would have some beers, a half dozen shots of Fireball and in my case, a pack of butts. I actually hoped she'd say she wanted some beer. You know what that would mean. She didn't. I was disappointed. Now I'm thankful. I'll be married 35 years this April so there aren't many more opportunities to impress Deb. This is one though.

Tomorrow is another day. C'mon will power. Oh yeah, game on.

Awesome I love bragging rights  ~c~ I figure we'll both be winners thought  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Laurie and I are doing well with it. Day eight is almost over and we haven't had a smoke  ~c~

My hardest challenge was yesterday. It was the first time I went fishing since completely putting them down. Keep in mind I was a two pack a day smoker when fishing. I would be lying if I said it was easy and the only reason I made it through it was the fact they weren't any around. I'm afraid if I had them in the boat I would have cheated. So no access is key  lo

I had no ideas all the triggers I have when fishing. Every time I kicked the trolling motor on high to fish a new section of a pocket, every time I idled the big motor. Several times just because. I guess I lit a smoke every time I changed baits as well. Catch a fish and I was reaching in my pocket that I kept my smokes in. By the end of the day it got comical, thankfully. I left the lake proud, instead of scurrying to a gas station to buy a pack.

Today is day eight, today I still had a couple cravings and several habit issues. Things like getting in the truck or letting the dogs out, it was just habit to light up. These pass quickly. And so far my true urges pass relatively quickly.

Each day I make it, is one more day that I would be upset at myself even more so if I cheated. We're past having nicotine in our system. We've experienced some true withdrawal symptoms but now I feel well and it seems to be all mental. Well mental and we both are still coughing up chucks of stuff I didn't know was down there. Doc says that can last a couple weeks.

I absolutely won't be hypocritical of smokers, I won't be that guy that downs a smoker just because I quit. But let me tell you, I never knew I smelled like smoke so bad. It is a disgusting smell to me now and my daughters are very stinky... But what gets me is being in town it's amazing what I can smell now. From the good things like the fresh cut fruit on a salad bar to the bad things like another smoker all in the same restaurant.

Still a long way to go, but I'm proud to have made it this far and looking forward to my one year mark where I can say I'm a non smoker.

Thank you everyone for your support and let's make sure Ice Cold Peanuts makes it with Laurie and I ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Fishing was my downfall when I quit chewing. Unfortunately my partner had a can with him.

Keep it up Mike and Laurie.  ~c~

Look how much more time you will be fishing now.  ~gf
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Deadeye

I was about a 1/2 pack a day smoker, unless I was fishing. Then I would smoke a pack plus just while fishing, so I hear what your saying Mike.

If you think you can smell  now, wait a year. Then it will amaze you how well you smell things you haven't for years.

Wait until you grab some of your clothes that have been put away and you wore while smoking. Then you will really know just how much you stink while smoking. It's disgusting really.

Hang on, you've beat the nicotine. The rest of your life is beating the habit memories. Best news is it get easier.

Oldfart9999

In about 6 months or so you'll be doing something that normally would leave huffing and puffing and waving the white flag and you won't be out of breath, it'll hit you that you are doing and feeling much better. The bad news; all you what enter IBASS will have the Cork making more casts because he aint farting around with a little white tube!!! lo ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Oldfart, it's a small trip that you posted this today. Last night when I was laying in bed to sleep I realized that breathing was so smooth, no crackle, no wheeze, and it felt so fluid. That was just after 8 days. By no means ready to run a marathon but already finding places that my lungs are changing. It's probably because of all the truly nasty crap we've been coughing up.

It's disgusting, and when doctors told me it was down there I never believed it was that bad. But coughing up thick green mucus with brown flecks in it is flat out gross. Doctor says that was my lungs collecting tar in the mucus that was on the working parts of my lungs. Now that I'm not smoking the little hairs in our lungs are alive and migrating it out of my body like they are supposed too. Apparently the first smoke of the day paralyzed these hairs and prevented the evacuation of the crap. So it just settles into your lungs.   

So I'm getting more cubic inches of space in my lungs every day :toot:

And yes, no more wasting time finding and lighting a cigarette, means more time casting and catching ~c~ ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Deadeye

The ability to smell better really hit home yesterday. While I was driving down a fairly busy road I smelled the odor of Juicy Fruit Gum. I wasn't chewing it and I was alone in the SUV.

Someone in a car near me was chewing it and I could smell it. The smell lasted about a 1/2 mile or so, then when the cars around me changed the smell left.

I was like WOW  :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Mike Cork

My sense of smell improves dramatically ever day I guess. But it's like you said before I notice it.

I can smell all kinds of things when driving. It's almost getting weird  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Just 4 more days and it will be two weeks.  ~c~ ~c~ You can do it. I will have to dust off my dancing numbers for you and Laurie.  ~c~ ~c~

Mike Cork

Things got stressful for Laurie today. We had a family team meeting with all the case workers, the boys and their doctors, and yes our daughter. It was great for me because I got to tell their dad in front of the system that he was a POS and never allowed in my house (of course it was done in a way that the boys didn't quite understand all of it). It kind of shocked the big boss of all this  ~roflmao

It started with there is only one person in this room that is a complete waste of the air I could be breathing.  ~rant Anyway I left the meeting feeling great but Mother was stressed. But we talked her down, plus I was driving so she couldn't stop at a store. We got home and went over out lists of why's and she made it :toot:

WE ARE STILL SMOKE FREE  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I have found a problem though... I can get a lot done now  lo Actually the problem is with my back problems sitting for two hours straight is brutal. I can shift in the chair to stay comfortable but it's the standing afterward. I've been slammed with reels to clean and I have forgot to get up and move, I used to go smoke every 45 minutes when cleaning reels but now I just work through. Anyway when I do get up, it's very painful. In the long run, my surgeon has always said that quitting smoking will help get more blood and O2 to the tissue and nerves and will make it better. We'll see, I'm not going back to smokes so it better make it better, I'm not having surgery again either. We'll figure it out  :-*

We got Chinese food last night. I ordered my usual. Unfortunately I didn't like a couple things  :surrender: I had to double check my order but it was right. I can taste so much better, that some of the things I normally got because they were spicy are not tasty anymore. They weren't too hot, I just truly didn't like the flavor of spice used in parts of the meal. Total bummer. But my way of looking at it is that I have an entire menu to pick from again, everything will taste different ~c~ Just hope it doesn't change my outlook on my favorite Buffalo Wings ~bb

Cork's Reel Service

fishandkamp

Congrats Mike on you both getting through these tough times. I am confident you will be much healthier in the long run. Here is what I suggest you do instead of a smoke break. it is a known fact that many smokers eat instead of smoke and then complicate matters by gaining a bunch of weight. Instead stock the house with fruit that you can grab a handful or something. When you would normally go smoke just go to the kitchen and grabs a handful of grapes, an orange, some cut up fruit(melons grapes, pears whatever) and add a glass of water.  You will move around enough and your body will appreciate the water and fruit.  It is not a bad example for the boys either.
I started doing that, I leave a pitcher or water in the refrigerator standing at the ready and fruit in the crisper.

cortman

Let me just throw in another word of encouragement. Good for you both conquering a tough habit later in life. That's really inspirational.

Mike Cork

Quote from: fishandkamp on January 11, 2018, 09:24:25 PM
Congrats Mike on you both getting through these tough times. I am confident you will be much healthier in the long run. Here is what I suggest you do instead of a smoke break. it is a known fact that many smokers eat instead of smoke and then complicate matters by gaining a bunch of weight. Instead stock the house with fruit that you can grab a handful or something. When you would normally go smoke just go to the kitchen and grabs a handful of grapes, an orange, some cut up fruit(melons grapes, pears whatever) and add a glass of water.  You will move around enough and your body will appreciate the water and fruit.  It is not a bad example for the boys either.
I started doing that, I leave a pitcher or water in the refrigerator standing at the ready and fruit in the crisper.

I love fruit and raw vege's. I've eat the house out of all our carrots, broccoli, cauliflower. Mother brings home cherries an grapes but they are starting to look rough. Apples and Melons are a great idea :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Your doing good Mike and glad you got said what you needed to get off your chest at the meeting and doing it in such a way the kids didn't understand much of what you were saying. Glad you and Laurie are holding together and sticking to this not smoking no matter what happens in life.  ~c~ ~c~

Mike Cork

Thanks Lip and Cortman, it's been tough and really hasn't let up much. I have found some ways to deal with triggers that are effective so I'll keep using those :-*

Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

It will keep getting better Mike.  After a couple months It will get much easier... as you get through the triggers each time it gets easier and easier.  ;)

DonM

You can do it Mike and Laurie!  You'd better or you'll find yourself up here in the hospital with me!
:)
DonM

-Shawn-

I will tell you one thing I found...when you no longer smoke you tend to drink a lot more when you go to the bar...  8)