Bill Lowen chooses Xpress Leaves Glass Boats Behind

Started by Princeton_Man, January 03, 2018, 09:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Lowen isn't the first Elite angler in a tin and he won't be the last, watch the price of tin boats skyrocket, it'll be harder to find a decent starter boat.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 04, 2018, 06:50:48 AM
Lowen isn't the first Elite angler in a tin and he won't be the last, watch the price of tin boats skyrocket, it'll be harder to find a decent starter boat.
Rodney

downside to everything.  glad im in one and it's paid.

Mike Cork

Aluminum rigs have come a long way. We've got a couple folks running the Express here and they are fast and stable. They figured out how to beef up the transoms and hang 200 plus motors on them.

Now the problem, cost! By the time you put a big motor, electronics, an anchoring system, hot foot, blinker trim, and all the things guys are getting in the glass boats, the price isn't but a 2-4 K cheaper. So the "stater boat" is long gone, unless the buyer settles for "starter equipment".

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

I think aluminum boats hold their value better than glass and withstand a lot more abuse. They also don't require as much maintenance to keep them looking good. Don't know if this ride is free or if he's on one of those one or two year plans where he has to sell or buy it in the end. Either way it will depreciate less. 

While the draft might be in the same neighborhood as it's competition, I'd be willing to bet he will take it in places that some won't take their glass boats.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 04, 2018, 09:33:36 AM
Now the problem, cost! By the time you put a big motor, electronics, an anchoring system, hot foot, blinker trim, and all the things guys are getting in the glass boats, the price isn't but a 2-4 K cheaper. So the "stater boat" is long gone, unless the buyer settles for "starter equipment".

for me this is always a FUN conversation.  first I start out as a purely recreational angler looking for the best value proposition, then I let my inner geek out to sway me to places I don't REALLY have to go!

that's the fun in all this.

Just recently I've been working through the process, thought of maybe, perhaps, possibly (waffling a bit?  lo) upgrading my RT 178.

Not a lot of 'bang' for the buck to just go to a 188 with the 115hp, so I was pricing out the 198P.  Clear price gap.  Basic boat stickered at $30K with a 150 Merc 4-stroke.  Could get last years model for $1,500 less, but would have to live with a RED (FREAKIN' RED!) boat with a 150 merc 4-stroke.

Price was okay.  about 4-6 thousand less than the z-118 glass boat.

here's where it gets pricey, and is all based on what I want:
1. upgrade electronics to HB Solix (touch) 10's or 12's:  two units in the $5000 total
2. upgrade TM to Ultrex 112:  $2300
3. upgrade onboard charger to a 4x15 unit:  $500+
4. additional battery for the 36 volt system.

pretty soon a guy takes his purchase price up significantly.  then there's property tax with the govt.

ultimately, the decision came down not to dollars, but what would FIT in my garage.  The 150 won't fit. 

Not until I remodel my garage for the extra space, clearance.

then I still have to work with how the trailer gets up a very steep, short driveway without scraping.

they're easier to pull, quicker to put away.  stable, durable, wood-free fishing platforms that over time present additional value, advantages from glass.

Now, IF I needed a 250 hp outboard, what I might decide I NEEDED would be different.

channeling my inner analfisherman, it's a FUN process!  One we all have to figure out for ourselves as to what is 'best' and what 'best' means for each of us.

Ddyyak

Love my Lund pro-v bass with 150hp. Don't fish big tournaments, easy to pull, keep clean, less worry in shallow junk. My buddy has a brand new z21. When he goes WOT I pucker up and hang on. I can't imagine an aluminum semi v with a 250hp WOT. In massive pro tournament boat traffic. Those guys have some big cahonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Two pluses that would drive me to an aluminum are fuel economy, both in the boat and towing. And how durable they are, beating it through the timber is no problem :-*

I would put an anchoring system on it before anything else. One of the complaints all the guys running them is how they sail in a strong wind.

Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 04, 2018, 12:36:34 PM
I would put an anchoring system on it before anything else. One of the complaints all the guys running them is how they sail in a strong wind.

Mike I'm imagining how where you and I fish are different.  ON the TN river ledges, I'm often out in 20+ feet of water.  power poles won't get it done.  BUT an Ultrex with spot lock sure ought to.

as for where I imagine  you fish, with lots of cypress, stumps, very much shallower water, might wince a little less 'bang to bang' as you bump through ...

my ranger sits a little lower I think.  those trackers and Xpress boats ride pretty high at the bow.  Might catch a little more wind.

Jared LeBlue

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 04, 2018, 12:36:34 PM
Two pluses that would drive me to an aluminum are fuel economy, both in the boat and towing. And how durable they are, beating it through the timber is no problem :-*

Yeah that's an issue with aluminum. They draft shallow and have high sides, along with the fact that they are lighter so the wind blows them around pretty good. I have ridden in quite a few aluminum rigs and rough water is not very nice. Now they do make some like the Lowes with a very deep v and I'm sure those take rough water a little better. It's been a while since I've ridden in an Xpress so they may have changed up some things but I do know that most the guys that traded out of them to glass was because they didn't perform like a glass boat.

I would have to take one out on Toldeo Bend with a 15 to 20 mph south wind and see how the boat handled the rough water and the wind before I would ever switch from a glass to aluminum.
Ardent Prostaff

Sandman7925

Unless I move somewhere where there is only deep water I'll never own a glass boat. I run too shallow to own that. Working on a custom tin boat build now with a boat builder.

Mike Cork

Quote from: Jared LeBlue on January 04, 2018, 01:02:06 PM
I would have to take one out on Toldeo Bend with a 15 to 20 mph south wind and see how the boat handled the rough water and the wind before I would ever switch from a glass to aluminum.

That's a death wish in a big glass boat, much less an aluminum rig. However the new Express rigs are supposed to take it like a champ.... I'll stick with mine since it's paid off :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

Sandman7925

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 04, 2018, 05:52:58 PM
That's a death wish in a big glass boat, much less an aluminum rig. However the new Express rigs are supposed to take it like a champ.... I'll stick with mine since it's paid off :surrender:

I've been in some rough waters with my express that was supposed to take it like a champ. It was unpleasant.
But fun fact and I saw the pictures to prove it. Stopped by the boat dealership about 4 months after the flood. Every express boat did not have plugs in and were strapped to their trailers and none of them sank. Other manufacturers did. The express boats sat there full of water but didn't sink.

Donald Garner

Quote from: Jared LeBlue on January 04, 2018, 01:02:06 PM

Is that after some liquid courage being consumed  :-\ 

There's a guy here in Belton that has one of the older ones with a Yamaha 200.  He told me that it fishes great and hauls azz.  The only issue was when the water got rough its was like bull riding  :surrender:
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Some of the Lunds take 250s and they handle big water quite well. The best rigs for the Great Lakes is a deep V, no question about it!! The Lunds have a system to help boat control in the wind, the only drawback is, price. Stater aluminum rigs are still available but they are increasing in price, some of it inflation and some of it because they nicer than the older ones.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.