Freezing Weather and Giant Salvinia

Started by fishin couillon, January 03, 2018, 05:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishin couillon

So with these few weeks of good cold freezing weather, do yall think it will help with the GS issues they have up on Black Lake, Bistineau and where ever its at in our part of the state???

Mike Cork

The freezing temps are a bonus but honestly we've only had about 10 night below freezing. The last couple days that didn't get above freezing are awesome but we'd need a couple months to really help.

A couple years ago we had a good freeze. We were on Caddo and the lake temp was 38 degrees. It had just snowed a couple inches and we hadn't seen above freezing temps for two days. We found Salvinia floating in logs, hollowed out stumps and along shore that was green and not effected. I think in order for Mother Nature to kill it, she's going to have to freeze the lakes over and the ground around the lakes as well.

Not knocking it and it's bound to help some but we'd need a lot more of it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 03, 2018, 05:21:01 PM
The freezing temps are a bonus but honestly we've only had about 10 night below freezing. The last couple days that didn't get above freezing are awesome but we'd need a couple months to really help.

A couple years ago we had a good freeze. We were on Caddo and the lake temp was 38 degrees. It had just snowed a couple inches and we hadn't seen above freezing temps for two days. We found Salvinia floating in logs, hollowed out stumps and along shore that was green and not effected. I think in order for Mother Nature to kill it, she's going to have to freeze the lakes over and the ground around the lakes as well.

Not knocking it and it's bound to help some but we'd need a lot more of it.

might be kind of like it was for wheat back when I lived on the farm.  freezing, below freezing temps (air) don't indicate actual soil, ground temps and that 'area' just above ground that's not really that low (buffer zone).

now if that lake ices up, bet that's a way different deal.

Mike Cork

Our problem with salvania is that a beaver could have it in the hut and when the lake floods it's back. It doubles every 7 days. Doesn't sound bad at first but add it up once you get to just one acre. In just 4 weeks you are at 8 acres, the following week you're at 16 then 32... If we don't get every leaf, root and seed, it comes back when the water reaches about 70, which our water is in the productive zone for salvinia about 9 months a year.

This cold were getting is going to help, if the state continues spraying we have a chance that maybe by next fall the lakes won't be unusable as they were this fall.

Cork's Reel Service

cjr4497

according to this, the cold has little impact.

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Elwood

I believe everything in the article but have been on Caddo a few time in the past couple of weeks and most of the back water in the trees has ice in it......I am hoping that we see a big difference this year than last.  I don't think that it will kill it all but some damage has been done!!!!  We need a 1985 winter!!!!!
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

Steven Flanagan

If this winter does not knock out 50%+ of the salvania, then we have no hope.

Mike Cork

between the spraying this past fall and this cold weather I haven't see a speck of it in Cross Lake. But the lake is so low that you can't get very far back into the woods and it could be piled up in there.

Cork's Reel Service

Steven Flanagan

I would think this low water is a added benefit to the freeze we just had. now seems like a good time to be spraying. hit it while its not thrieving

Elwood

I hope that mother nature takes it out.....I know the guys are spraying but that is their source of income....I do not see it eradicated by spraying.
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

Steven Flanagan

maybe i dont looki in the right place, but i never see any results when they spray. either they dont spray correctly, the chemical doesnt work, or they arent using the proper chemicals in efforts to save money.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

FishinSteelersFan

The freeze we had about 4 years ago killed more than any of the spraying did, hopefully this freeze will kill it back again.
Legend boats, Mercury ProXS, Kistler rods
www.LouisianaPoormans.com  Check us out, 100% payout EVERY TIME!

Steven Flanagan

whomever is in charge of the spraying should be fired or strongly reviewed. it appears like a waste of money.

coldfront

Quote from: Elwood on January 16, 2018, 04:23:36 PM
I believe everything in the article but have been on Caddo a few time in the past couple of weeks and most of the back water in the trees has ice in it......I am hoping that we see a big difference this year than last.  I don't think that it will kill it all but some damage has been done!!!!  We need a 1985 winter!!!!!

ice HAS to help, but without complete eradication, it's just temporary.
:(

wondering if the game/parks folks are actively spraying, pursuing eradication while the GS is at it's lowest resistance?

Mike Cork

Spraying now would obviously create the best results. However I don't see any happening at Cross, of which if you do get into the woods you see it. I also noticed it in the bayous around cross. The first major rain will flush it out into the lake. Unfortunately these bayous are unreachable because of the low water and drained lakes. I pretty sure even a 4 wheeler will sink to the handle bars in the muck.

Cork's Reel Service

RustyJ

I've been on Bistineau the last couple of days and there is plenty of green salvinia.  It looks like the salvinia that was out floating in the main lake/open areas survived well.  The salvinia that was near the banks seems to be less green, if that makes sense.

By the way, the lake is full.....lol

Rusty

Mike Cork

I'll bet after this week it will be completely full. Bossier parish is already calling for river flooding, so that means Bodcau is going to be a raging ocean of water before long.

I've seen green stuff on Caddo, Black Lake Campti, and Black Bayou Hosston. It's going to take a cold that freezes the red river over before it kills this stuff.

Cork's Reel Service