Last fishing trip of 2017

Started by Ponson416, January 03, 2018, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponson416

Saturday, December 30th, I decided to make one last fishing trip for the year. And it was a good way to end 2017. Went over to Lake Martin (in Breaux Bridge, LA.  Not the one in Alabama) in the afternoon and fished for a few hours. Got out ahead of the cold front thank God.

Lake Martin has always been my go-to spot in the winter. The grass dies back a good bit and it's more fishable. With the water temp being pretty low the fish tend to hang pretty tight to the grass and trees. Most effective lures are typically a white spinnerbait, jig, or a big worm/senko. I threw spinnerbait, a Zoom Ol' Monster, and my usual Yum Dinger. I started off with junebug because the water was a little cloudy and it was overcast. But surprisingly watermelon got more bites. This is usually a good time of year to catch some quality fish. There are some hogs in there. You may not catch a lot, but your chances of catching bigger fish are there. For those of you not familiar with the lake, it is a relatively small spring fed lake.  The water quality is usually very good.  They are currently in a drawdown to combat some of the excessive (and that's an understatement) vegetation.  It can be pretty difficult to fish because of the amount of grass in the lake.  Which is why winter time is better for me.  Needless to say, the fish have an abundance of food and hiding places.  There's usually a couple 8 lbers or better caught in there every year.  That didn't happen for me this trip, but I caught some good fish.

My scale said 3.5 lbs for this fish.  Maybe I should've zeroed the scale and re-weighed.  It was 19.25" long and not exactly skinny.  I think it was closer to 4.  Oh well.

The rest of the fish from the trip. They were all released.

The pictures were taken off of my GoPro, so not the best quality.  I will post the video in the video section.  Hope you guys have a great 2018 and I look forward to another year on UB.
All men are equal before fish

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for sharing!! That's how you end a year. WTG!!

Mike Cork

Thanks for sharing  ~c~ I would love to see the report side of it in the Louisiana Fishing Reports :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

That looks like a great lake to fish. Looks like it was a great day on the water for you as well.  ~c~

Ponson416

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 04, 2018, 09:07:24 AM
Thanks for sharing  ~c~ I would love to see the report side of it in the Louisiana Fishing Reports :-*

Thanks for reminding me, Mike.  I used to venture over there a lot.  But I rarely see any reports from my area, so I sometimes forget about it.  I guess I'll have to carry the banner for the Acadiana area.   ~bb

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and them are some nice looking fish and a good way to end the year. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Some nice fish!  ~c~

Sure wish it was warmer here.  :(
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cport

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 04, 2018, 05:18:54 AM
Thank you for sharing!! That's how you end a year. WTG!!
No doubt, I could have used that on my last day of the year for the December FLBR lo Great job, Ponson416!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Smallie_Stalker

You had a great day of fishing my friend. That's the way to end a year on the water.  ~c~

Hope 2018 is even better for you.  ~beer~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

Thanks for the report with great detail. Hope next year brings many days like that for you.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Blacknredflake

Good report Ryan.  Them aint no Pontoon fish ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Ponson416

Quote from: Blacknredflake on January 07, 2018, 06:59:54 PM
Good report Ryan.  Them aint no Pontoon fish ;)

Oh man.  They wore that joke out so bad over there.   lo

Blacknredflake

Quote from: Ponson416 on January 08, 2018, 11:04:27 AM
Oh man.  They wore that joke out so bad over there.   lo
Dude you are not lying at all!!!! Gotten pretty dumb

BITE THE DAMN WORM!