Crankbait Rod

Started by dunnuckt, January 05, 2018, 02:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunnuckt

I know this has been a common topic but I am in the market for a Dobyns crankbait rod for throwing mostly medium size crankbaits and squarebills. My other two Dobyns rods are the 702SF and 703SF in the Sierra series but there is no crankbait rod in that series.  I already have a handmade 3 power casting rod that is my multi-purpose casting rod.  I have been looking at the graphite Fury 705CB as well as the mislabeled Champion 735CB Glass which is discounted to the Sierra price point.  I have read all of the past threads on the subject and really have one question.  Is there any reason not to get the discounted Champion?

Capt. BassinLou

First off, welcome to UB.
To answer your last question, finding a discounted champion is a great idea. I have been waiting to find a particular one myself...  lo. The Dobyns company re-sells refurbished rods only if they are in good to great condition and the warranty still applies to them. Can't beat that. Happy hunting for a crank bait rod.  :)

SFL BassHunter

Welcome to UB dunnuckt!
I agree with Bassinlou. A mislabeled Champion is a fantastic buy. If you like the Sierra series, which it sounds like you do if you are looking at Dobyns for another rod, then you will absolutely love the Champion. A Champ at Sierra price...don't think twice!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

I personally can't think of a single reason not to jump on a mis-labled Champion at that price.

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fishandkamp

First welcome to the UB family!  I laugh as I read your post, not because of your question, but rather I remember the first time Gary told us about these rods. He had just received the news about them, and truly was not sure what to do with them. His options were to send them back and strip them completely, then refinish them, or offer them for sale at a discount. His post almost sounded like he was sending up a trial balloon! "Would any of you be interested in purchasing a rod like this"?
The response on here was immediate, as quite a few members jumped on them. In fact I made the comment  " Gary can't even keep his mistakes in stock"! Many anglers here love his product.

I do not own that rod simply because it will not fit in my rod locker. I do own several other Dobyns Champion rods and love them. Many members on here have documented how well that rod plays as you know from reading their posts. I would encourage you to jump on one. It is a unique opportunity to purchase a brand new Dobyns Champion rod at that reduced price.  The rod is sold with the standard factory warranty and the only "blemish or defect" is the labeling on it. Last time I checked our bass are smart but they have not learned to read in SCHOOL yet. lo  I am sure you will be happy with it.

Ultimate Bass members are privileged to have someone like Gary to be willing to share his time and knowledge with us. There is no way to ask Shimano, or Daiwa or other competitors to answer your personal rod selection questions like he does. Several times, late at night, I have had email conversations with him and he has been awesome.  Thanks to Mike and Laurie for building this amazing site and fostering such close relationships with all of the Ultimate Bass sponsors. I have had dealings with several of them and they are great to work with.

68camaro

5 of the 8 rods in my arsenal are Champions so I am a bit biased but there is no reason to NOT get a mislabeled one.

For crankbaits I use the Dobyns 764CB RM and couldn't be happier.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

dunnuckt

Thanks for the warm welcome and responses guys!  I've learned so much from this forum over the last few months.  I'm a few years from retirement and am working on building a better rod/reel arsenal.  Last spring, a friend who is a tournament angler built me a lovely casting rod on a MHX 843 blank. And then gave me a Revo STX reel he just "happened to have lying around".  And wouldn't let me pay for either! Until I used that outfit the first time, I had no idea how much better a high quality rod and reel was.  I was astounded by the sensitivity and balance.  He basically spoiled me for life.   I bought my first Dobyns, a Sierra 702SF, for finesse fishing this last summer.  My wife "bought" me a 703SF  for Christmas.  Both are paired with Revo SX reels.  My old Ugly Sticks have now been relegated to the back of the rod rack.

So last night I went ahead and ordered the mislabeled Champion 735CB Glass that will be my crankbait rod and will be paired with a Lew's BB1 reel.  Figured it might be the only time I could afford a Champion.  Can't wait to try it out when warm weather arrives here in southern Indiana.  Which may be a while since the temperature was 0 this morning.  Of course now I will need some more new crankbaits!

68camaro

Dunnuckt, congrats on pulling trigger on ne 735CB glass. Let us know your thoughts and how you like it.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Dink Dawg

I'm with 68camaro. I retired this last June so an early congratulations. Enjoy your new stick.

Doug

SFL BassHunter

Congrats on the purchase! You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Congratulations on the new rod. You're going to love it  ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

I cant comment on that particular rod but I cant complain about the Dobyns rods I have. I'm looking to buy my 5th Dobyn's rod soon.

I am a Lew's reel guy and the BB1 should be a sweet combination on that rod. I just saw that reel in the low gear ratio marked down somewhere hopefully you got a deal on it as well. I am very happy with my BB1 I have.

Gary Dobyns

Dang guys I've been away too long. The fish reading in school comment.....now that was some funny s*** right there :):). The comment on the 764 CB is right on. I love this rod as well.

Yes, I was nervous about admitting a blem in the beginning. It's a simple mislabel but I hate mistakes and and want everything as perfect as possible. But, stuff happens and errors are made. I decided to sell the blems after some comments here. You guys gave me confidence that I wasn't going to get gutted by "haters".

THX guys!!